Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on April 21, 2004
My first taste of Calexico was a song they did on a Lee Hazlewood tribute album. I was intrigued by their sound and decided to get one of their CDs to broaden my overview. For no particular reason, I settled on Feast of Wire.
There is a lot to like here, with a multitude of musical influences evident. Listening through, I swear at times I'm hearing Neil Young or Ennio Morricone. At other times, I hear the sounds of funk-soaked jazz soundtrack music a la Barry Adamson. And always around the corner one hears strains of the borderlands sounds that have come to be known as desert rock. Even the cover art is evocative of the southwestern frontier.
My favorite songs here are Sunken Waltz, Quattro, the Morricone-infused Close Behind, Dub Latina, Guero Canelo, and the Adamsonian soundtrack jazz of Crumble.
With Feast of Wire, Calexico offers a sweeping southwestern soundscape that will carry you far away from the cares of the day. I recommend this to anyone who is musically adventurous and has a taste for the borderlands in their blood.
on April 24, 2013
First of all, the original "Feast of Wire" is one of my favorite Calexico albums, and I've owned it for years. I was excited to get this remastered edition with the bonus tracks after I heard them on YouTube. Other reviewers have mentioned getting 2 CDs; mine came with one and IMO the entire listening experience is ruined in the first split second - the very first note of the very first song is cut off! To a music aficionado this is completely unacceptable! Buy the original. This was a waste of money.
on November 13, 2007
I can talk about this song or that, or how Calexico has a distinctive and beautiful sound, and all that. Here's how I know this album is good. After I got it, I played it for an entire week to the exclusion of pretty much everything else.

It gets under your skin it's so good. It changes pace and style from song to song, so you don't get bored, and songs don't all convolve together into just one indistinguishable pile of music. It'll keep in your mind even after you turn it off, and you'll look forward to getting back home so you can listen to it again.

And then, you should go to el Guero Canelo and get the best Sonoroan hotdog ever.
on October 26, 2013
Somewhere between Ry Cooder and Raidohead is Feast of wire. Lush soundscape strings, horns, Lap Steel, western movie sound track one second full on Jazz the next. The crunching sound of "black heart" the Groan of "Whipping the horse's eyes" the CD takes you on ride that you want to take over and over again.
on December 10, 2015
Nice
on June 14, 2015
Great Band, Listen a lone or at a party.
on January 9, 2004
This album is my introduction to Calexico. I heard Quattro on Internet radio and was intrigued enough to buy the CD--smart move. I have such eclectic tastes in music, it's hard to find a band whose overall effort is so satisfying. I played it three times in row after ripping off the shrink-wrap. Needless to say, the other albums are soon heading my way.
on April 13, 2015
Another masterpiece, they are the best!
on November 3, 2012
I hesitated to purchase this mp3 as it was older - 2003 - but it has all of the songs their known for and is truly Calexico at their best.
on December 17, 2010
I've been a fan of Calexico since their "Spoke" album release in 1997 and can confidently suggest you keep your original version of "Feast of Wire" and steer clear of this (not so) Deluxe Version.

Disc One Review - the full length album. First off, this is NOT remastered. It is the same quality as the U.S. domestic released seven years ago. No effort what so ever was put into this re-release, it is a clone of the original. To add further insult, the original import release contained a 17th track named "Fallin' Rain" which does not appear here.

Disc Two Review - (the easy to find/obtainable)Rarities. It is quite literally a rip off to include a second disc dressed up in a Deluxe Edition that runs only 40 minutes or so. A half empty disc that is also not remastered and is actually of poorer quality than the EP released versions of the same songs is, again, unacceptable. These bonus tracks (or in truth various EP tracks) sound as if they were transferred from cassette and when compared audibly to the orginal EP sources sound muddy and dull.

Calexico is a great band and these complaints are directed at the format of this release. "Feast of Wire" is a remarkable release- this version is ultimately disappointing and my one star score is in reference to that alone.