Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on March 4, 2009
Paper piecing is not my favorite type of quilting mostly due to my dislike of the fabric waste. However, this book has excellent patterns / projects for birds that I think those who don't like to applique or want a faster way to achieve these designs will truly enjoy. Directions are easily understood and implemented. TIPS: (1) If you are new to paper piecing, try using BATIK fabrics that have no right or wrong side. This helps you to avoid using "Mr. Ripper" when you place your fabric the wrong way against the paper piecing pattern. (2) Use a two-ply thread like Aurifil Mako 50 wt (Aurifil 50 wt Taupe is my color preference for all piecing) and a thinner needle 75/11 or 70/10 sharps. These help eliminate bulk especially with the very small pieces.
11 comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 4, 2011
I love birds and my mother loves quilting. So I got her this book. The birds in the book are look just like in reality, I am impressed how natural paper-pieced birds can look. The instructions seem simple. I like how you can use the patterns for a large number of projects, pillow cases, tote bags, quilts,... Generally, there is always at least one pattern per book that I dislike but this book is just great, all patterns are fantastic.
on January 24, 2015
The book was in perfect condition! The content was exactly what I was led to expect. Very pleased!
on March 8, 2013
I am a beginning quilter and recently took a paper piecing class. I was still lacking confidence so ordered this book - it's great. I love wildlife, especially birds. Thank you so very much.
on May 4, 2014
more bird patterns , some of the blocks are kind of an irregular size. But, it offered several types of birds that I couldn't find online or in other paper piecing books.
on August 12, 2015
Excellent!
on October 27, 2014
Love it, shipped fast...
on February 11, 2010
If you like paper piecing and you like birds, this is your book. What a pretty quilt can be made from these instructions!
on April 3, 2013
I was disappointed at the number of black birds and birds I don't particularly admire. Also, the patterns seemed more detailed than I would like. I prefer more stylization and simplicity.
on January 15, 2009
I treasure this book! Creative, well-designed beautiful patterns, wonderful colors, lots of easy to understand, practical information. Very well organized and beautifully laid out. I loved the introduction - a very nice personal touch. Looking forward to more books from this very talented artist/author!