Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on December 21, 2015
My husband is an avid birdwatcher, so I purchased this book for him to read to children, with the hopes of teaching them about his hobby. The illustrations are beautiful and realistically depict native bird and plant species from our area. The pages are large and the birds are painted in true-to-life size.

My 3-month-old twins love looking at the pictures and smile as we read them the book over and over again. It's become a part of our daily ritual.

The back of the book includes an index with beautiful illustrations and details about each bird featured in the story. A perfect introduction for a young birdwatcher.
on February 13, 2013
This book is terrific for two of my grandchildren (ages 4 and 7). I am helping them start a home bird watching project, and we will build a feeded to lnvite in the local birds soon. We live in different cities, so time is a factor in our projects. This book is a perfect fit, and I would recommend that every grandparent start their children on a home bird watching project. My one other grandchild, at 14, needs more advanced reading materials, but he also lives in Nevada, where the birda are completely different. However, the children can compare notes anyway, since every area has its resident birds - it gives then a chance to see the different residents of the Northeast and the High Desert.

This book has marvelous illustrations, and it features many of the birds my Eastern grandkids actually see in and around their house. The bird descriptions are accurate enough to be recognizable when one is spotted, and there is just about the right amount of information for the kids to enjoy and remember.

If there were a higher book rating number, I would have chosen that one! The book is entirely outstanding! Thanks for getting it to me promptly. Of course, as a regular book customer, that did not surprise me, but I do appreciate the steady, good service.

Thanks,

Charlane - Syracuse, NY
on March 10, 2016
Fun book! My kids loved finding the different birds. The only difficulty is that the book had a hard time staying open when the younger kids were looking at it alone, they always had to have a hand on each side.
on May 29, 2004
This book, along with TOP CAT by the same author, are my kids' favorite books (ages 6,4 and 2). And I love them, too! I never tire of reading them out loud, although both of my older children can recite the book and "read" it themselves now. We checked it out from the library and kept renewing it over and over because the kids loved it so much. We finally bought our own copy and I know the kids are going to fight over who gets to take it with them when they move out 15 or so years from now. :) It is a delightful story and I love how Ms. Ehlert labels everything. I especially like the details provided at the end regarding the birds shown throughout the book.
on January 14, 2016
Love this author!. Her stories are easy to follow. She is so creative in telling her story in pictures and I love how she stimulates the readers to be creative in thought and deed.
on July 2, 2013
I used this book in a co-op class I taught for K-2nd graders and we studied birds a little. This book was a good resource. The kids enjoyed the story and the picture were great in showing the kids what common birds looked like and how they could identify them!
on July 7, 2015
My students love this story and I bought it as a gift for one of them. They enjoy listening to it, and in no time have memorized the pages of this cute little classic.
on January 2, 2013
Lois Ehlert is a wonder-full artist and story-teller, with few words and lush pictures to captivate and educate simply...
A lifesize mischievous cat goes catting for lifesize beautiful birds, and all ends well in this lifesize book, because all he gets is a few stray "Feathers for Lunch"... An adorable book...
on August 14, 2014
This book is a classic. My 18 month old memorized it and would recite it while riding in his car seat. Illustrations are wonderful and the added educational pieces after the poem concludes is a real bonus.
on December 29, 2005
Another favorite of my 3 1/2 year-old daughter, along with "Top Cat" by the same author. Hmmm...is it possible that Top Cat or his little brother is the cat in "Feathers for Lunch"?

That aside, the pictures in this wonderful book allow a child a good first look at several North American birds, and the text introduces your child to their birdsong. All the birds are "drawn" (I believe they are actually designed by paper cut), to actual life-size.