Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 381 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 493 reviews
on January 8, 2017
This is a great book. I don't think there has been any self-help book that has helped me as much as this one. The explanations are very clear and the sequence of self-help activities (cognitive behavior therapy) is very easy to understand. The program begins by explaining the different ways we distort our thinking. For example, "mind-reading" is one of our distorted thinking patterns which is when we presume to know what others think of us, our clothes, our actions, etc. aThe book describes 10 cognitive distortions that make us unhappy. Then, there are exercises to identify negative thoughts, understand the distortion at play, and reframing the thought in a positive way. This is a very "in-a-nutshell" sort of explanation. I have been working in the book for three weeks. Already I feel a tremendous change in my outlook. There are exercises to do. If you do them, you will get better. If you just read the material, probably not. Think about this: you can read a stack of books about tennis but until you get on the court you'll never be able to play. Get this book and do the exercises. You'll be pleased.
on May 9, 2014
My new therapist recommended this book to me during our very first session. I was looking for some "tools" to handle depression and anxiety and she immediately thought of this book. She was so right. It has realy great tehcniques for idenitifying and learning to deal wtih/change negative thought patterns. Nothing I have tried before has worked as well as these techniques. It does require actual practice, but the pay off is worth it.
on June 16, 2016
It's really been helpful for me so far, I just need to remember to use it more frequently. I only read over the first couple of chapters, and I quickly identified a lot of the issues I've been dealing with in my life. It's worth a chance!
on April 10, 2017
This book is like common sense for thinking in productive and positive ways. Everything makes sense to me. Of course, changing habits can take time, but the rewards are absolutely worth it. LOVE this book and have now purchased several copies of it since I keep giving my copy away.
on October 1, 2016
This book was a life saver for my son and did more for him than all the therapists he saw beforehand. The work sheets provided the tools for him to see where his thinking had been distorted and to take steps to correct it.
on December 22, 2016
This book is truly remarkable. Like his book on Panic, this is must read for depressives and those close to them. It is not a true self help book but if you are willing to do the work, wonders will occur. I recommend this highly.
on February 22, 2015
This book changed my life when I was only 16 and felt as low as low could go. It changed my self destructive thinking into a more rational and positive way. I read this book so much that the pages started falling apart so I purchased another.
on March 15, 2015
This follow-up to Dr. Burns' book, is absolutely wonderful for both professionals and non-professionals alike. I actually read another book first, When Panic Attacks by Dr. Burns and decided to learn more. He is so great at explaining complex topics in every day language for people who suffer from anxiety and/or depression. It doesn't matter how long or which medical professionals you have seen. The Feeling Good Handbook will give you more advice and helpful ideas than you ever thought possible.
on March 11, 2016
Time honored and it really does help with depression - you have to DO the work. I studied this type of thing when getting my masters in counseling years ago - I hit a time in my life where nothing was working for my depression....my sister and I did the book together and we worked with the book for a year. Sometimes, you have to re learn things you thought you knew. The best parts are really about changing your perceptions about life and what it all about - feeling good is a bit misleading- more like - accepting life as it is instead of the fantasy we thought it might be. And being thankful for all of it anyway.
on July 9, 2016
As good as Dr. Burn's book is, the handbook is even better, since it includes content that wouldn't fit in the book and includes lots of examples. A great handbook.