Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 380 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 492 reviews
on January 8, 2017
This is a great book. I don't think there has been any self-help book that has helped me as much as this one. The explanations are very clear and the sequence of self-help activities (cognitive behavior therapy) is very easy to understand. The program begins by explaining the different ways we distort our thinking. For example, "mind-reading" is one of our distorted thinking patterns which is when we presume to know what others think of us, our clothes, our actions, etc. aThe book describes 10 cognitive distortions that make us unhappy. Then, there are exercises to identify negative thoughts, understand the distortion at play, and reframing the thought in a positive way. This is a very "in-a-nutshell" sort of explanation. I have been working in the book for three weeks. Already I feel a tremendous change in my outlook. There are exercises to do. If you do them, you will get better. If you just read the material, probably not. Think about this: you can read a stack of books about tennis but until you get on the court you'll never be able to play. Get this book and do the exercises. You'll be pleased.
on January 25, 2016
Great book that is POSITIVE and has exercises to help elevate your mood and thinking. The best thing about it is you can reference effective parts that you like later. Would not recommend a single read through as it could be overwhelming. Will get you thinking about your self and ideas in order to become more aware about CBT. Recommend reading a little at a time, completing relevant work that applies to you, and learning about the basics first. First, it helps to just peruse it and then PUT IT DOWN. Go back a little at a time and mark or highlight things that will help you. The size of the book alone can be intimidating but there are valid stories, examples, and work that can be helpful.
on May 9, 2014
My new therapist recommended this book to me during our very first session. I was looking for some "tools" to handle depression and anxiety and she immediately thought of this book. She was so right. It has realy great tehcniques for idenitifying and learning to deal wtih/change negative thought patterns. Nothing I have tried before has worked as well as these techniques. It does require actual practice, but the pay off is worth it.
on June 16, 2016
It's really been helpful for me so far, I just need to remember to use it more frequently. I only read over the first couple of chapters, and I quickly identified a lot of the issues I've been dealing with in my life. It's worth a chance!
on March 13, 2016
this is one of the best self help books for depression. I should know because I've been in the hospital 7 times (PTSD). Do the work. I've had great therapists and am recovered. This book has great cognitive therapy exercises.
on April 10, 2017
This book is like common sense for thinking in productive and positive ways. Everything makes sense to me. Of course, changing habits can take time, but the rewards are absolutely worth it. LOVE this book and have now purchased several copies of it since I keep giving my copy away.
on October 1, 2016
This book was a life saver for my son and did more for him than all the therapists he saw beforehand. The work sheets provided the tools for him to see where his thinking had been distorted and to take steps to correct it.
on December 22, 2016
This book is truly remarkable. Like his book on Panic, this is must read for depressives and those close to them. It is not a true self help book but if you are willing to do the work, wonders will occur. I recommend this highly.
on February 22, 2015
This book changed my life when I was only 16 and felt as low as low could go. It changed my self destructive thinking into a more rational and positive way. I read this book so much that the pages started falling apart so I purchased another.
on March 15, 2015
This follow-up to Dr. Burns' book, is absolutely wonderful for both professionals and non-professionals alike. I actually read another book first, When Panic Attacks by Dr. Burns and decided to learn more. He is so great at explaining complex topics in every day language for people who suffer from anxiety and/or depression. It doesn't matter how long or which medical professionals you have seen. The Feeling Good Handbook will give you more advice and helpful ideas than you ever thought possible.