Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Feelings (Reading Rainbow Book)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 9, 2008
I bought this for my son who is about to turn three, I wanted to get a book that would help him understand his emotions and others emotions. I thought this book was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen, the only things I liked about it was the first and last page ("I have feelings and How do you feel?") and the paper airplane story on page 12. It did more illustrating of overblown emotions and doesn't even state what emotion is being illustrated. it has phrases like: "I'd like to CHOKE Alicia, Elizabeth likes her more than me!" and on a page about sharing after the boys share and one compliments the other for sharing he says "You're unselfish, not like some people." and it shows a little boy playing with several cars by himself. I realize not all kids share well but do we really need to place emphasis on talking behinds other back about how they don't share?

It has it's decent points but all-in-all I was very dissatisfied with the whole book, I want my son to learn to understand and properly express his emotions, not to learn how to be over-the-top and whiny.
on December 12, 1998
I received Feelings when I was about five years old. That was twelve years ago and I still read it when I am feeling down and need a boost.
on August 4, 2000
My husband bought this for our son, who is three. It has been his favorite book for several weeks now. The book is separated into smaller stories and we read one or two at night before going to bed. It's been a wonderful tool to use to help teach our son about his feelings, about others' feelings.
on March 3, 2014
I am always on the look out for good books about feelings, social skills, interpersonal relationships, etc. My son is 5 and my daughter is about to turn 2...so far all the books are for my son's benefit mostly. I found this book to be unnecessarily negative...it did a good job reminding me of many negative feelings I've had in my life (stage fright, fury, etc) but it almost seemed to make them worse. We try to talk in terms of why we feel certain ways...for instance, that the anxiety before speaking in front of people is your body's way of trying to prepare you, keep you sharp...or that when someone knocks down your building blocks you feel angry because you also feel hurt and disrespected etc...and that naturally leads to coping strategies. It seemed to me that this book worked against us.

I found Janan Cain's The Way I Feel to be the best of all the general feelings books out there. It does a better job of simply but convincingly describing the feeling so that we can then have a more detailed discussion about my son's feelings, when does he feel that way, how does it feel, what are some way he can be present with that feeling while continuing to function, and how can he help someone else who feels that way.

Update: I also highly recommend On Monday When It Rained. I was surprised by how good the photographs are.
on November 12, 2003
I used this book to teach feelings and empathy in my second grade class and it was a smash hit!! The short episodes, some only one frame or page, were perfect for the children to analyze and describe. The illustrations are very clear and the children were able to relate to them perfectly and recognize/empathize with the emotions portrayed. When we were done, all the students were able to not only recognize and explain with words how they were feeling, but relate to others and react appropriately to others in a wider variety of situations. It was a wonderful tool to reinforce cooperation and respect for others, and prevented many an argument and misunderstanding.
on March 31, 1998
Small children (my 5 year old son included) sometimes have trouble sorting out how they are feeling, or why something they did provokes such a reaction in someone else. This book gives vivid and thoughtful examples -- act the parts while reading it. He really listened -- always a good sign.
on May 19, 2004
Clearly, books that provide the opportunity to discuss and explore feelings with children are important and appreciated. This book adds considerable value to that cohort but is limiting in two, unrelated areas: first, it propogates unhealthy stereotypes--for example, a girl at a birthday party who persists for more cake and ice cream (depicting her as selfish and gluttonous) is overweight. Children's book authors most especially need to be sensitive to this type of issue. Equating heaviness (one of the only "heavy" children in the book) with gluttony or selfishness is unfair and hurtful and there should be no place for these types of statements in children's literature.
Second, the book is a bit scattered. The vignettes are nice in some respects, but bits like the "Scary Story" are unnecessarily anti-climatic and simplistic, especially given the fairly complex (and generally underrepresented in children's literature) exploration of multiple perspectives on feelings illustrated elsewhere in the book.
on December 28, 2014
I bought this book for my 3 year old daughter because I'm a child psychologist and that's what we do: we buy books about feelings. But this book is awful. There's a page that talks about the smell of eaten children and the next page talks about choking your friends. Seriously. How is this not in the first 15 reviews I read?! Eaten children and choking friends. I'm giving this two stars for creativity because my husband and I were laughing when our fearless daughter was, for the first time, scared, hiding under her blankets, at the thought of dead child smell. Thanks Aliki. Oh, and worse: the story didn't end so now we have to make up a story about what happened to the boy!
on March 2, 2015
Some of the exchanges between the characters in this book are not helpful for kids, some of the words they use (one child might call another stupid, I can't remember without the book in front of me) are not words I want to encourage my children to use. Went in the trash.
on January 31, 2014
Yes, the kids in this book express actual feelings: Jealousy, sadness, rage, impatience. They feel them, they acknowledge them, the little birds comment on them. This isn't a book of simple feelings "happy, sad, angry, scared." This is a book of very real, nuanced human feelings and even if we *wish* we didn't have them (or our kids didn't), it seems like most of us do. While the feelings are a bit nuanced, the book is very clear and simple. I can see where people may think it's a great book for little kids (and it probably is), but I read it with my older kids (9&12), or they look at it themselves, and it's a great acknowledgement of real feelings as well as a great discussion starter. We really love this book, but if you are looking for something more clear-cut as an entry point to feelings language, you may want to start with another book (like Todd Parr books or some of the intro feelings book (search feelings and autism and you get a lot of facial recognition books)). And we like those books, too! But this one is just more advanced.