Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lots of Feelings (Shelley Rotner's Early Childhood Library) (Shelley Rotner's Early Childhood Library (Paperback))
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on April 11, 2007
I bought this book for my son who is 2 1/2 (and was born with Down syndrome) so he can learn about feelings and begin to express himself; to use words like "happy," "sad," or "angry" (instead of cry or scream like a typical toddler).

This book has become his favorite bedtime book and he will not let me read him any other books! And he wants me to read it over and over, or he sits and turns the pages himself.

The photos in this book are priceless, large, and right on target, and there are just a few words per page, perfect for hard to sit still toddlers. I bought him The Feelings Book by Park, but the pictures are cartoonish and not realistic, and he does not like me to read that one.

I was a preschool teacher for nearly 20 years and this would have been a favorite in the classroom! I highly recommend it if you are in early childhood education or a parent, to help teach about feelings in young children so they can begin to express themselves. I also recommend it to parents of special needs children!
on June 4, 2010
The book is quite short and doesn't actually cover "lots" of feelings. The pictures are okay, but some are actually fuzzy and some are a bit of a stretch for the expression of the feelings they are supposed to be portraying (fear, for instance).

The general gist of the book is good - real pictures showing emotions in children. The feelings shown are: happy, sad, grumpy, excited, shy, proud, angry, loving, surprised, frightened, thoughtful, sleepy, serious, silly, curious, and confused. The beginning and end of the book have dozens of feeling words on them and that teased me - I thought they'd be illustrated in the book. THAT would have made this a great book. I guess I was hoping for less "basic" feelings and slightly more expressive pictures in some cases.

My kids (2 and 4) like to read it sometimes- moreso the 2 year old. It's okay. It works to talk about simple feelings but I was hoping for a bit more.
on April 29, 2009
My 1-yr-old son loves this book so much I really can't believe it! He holds it out to be read and loves the expressive faces of the kids in the book. I also think it helps him understand "how he's feeling" even at his young age. The other day he was a little grouchy and I asked him "are you grumpy?" (which is one of the feelings in the book), and his eyes lit right up! Definitely recommend it- just wish it was a board book!
on May 15, 2011
Both my 2 and 3 year old love the book. They are intrigued with it. Some of the pictures don't quite match the feelings (or they are a stretch) but it still makes for good reading/conversation as we talk about and learn about our feelings. I recommend the book.
on February 7, 2014
My 17 month old son loves this book. I got it because he's been diagnosed as potentially falling within the autism spectrum range, and emotions cards and books are recommend for the process of rerouting the neural pathways. Initially, I had put it up on a dresser, out of reach, to avoid him tearing it during unsupervised readings, but so far, he prefers to have me read it to him, and so even though it's been down with his other books for about a week now, it still remains intact & un-torn. He really like's to have me describe the faces and corresponding emotions, and as we talk about them, we both mimic the emotion being expressed on each page. Down sides: I wish there were more different children both in general and for each emotion- the layout is basically one large face with two smaller faces inset per emotion, and some of the emotions appear to be expressed a little vague to me (ex. "Angry" seems as though the children are staging it, and almost on the verge of laughing). But what I consider vague now may be intentional, and a helpful feature later. Up sides- there are a good deal of emotions shown here, and the large face is large, with just the face taking up the entire page, unlike the cover, which shows shoulders on half of the page. The pictures are well taken, and the text isn't bad, although I wish the emotion word was a little more prominent. All in all, a very happy purchase. I plan to buy other books by this author, and would definitely recommend it to any one looking for a way to develop a dialogue w a child about emotions. I also try to match the pictures to his current emotion, esp. the more extreme ones, and it has helped considerably with talking about his feelings.
on April 28, 2011
This book is just what I need for my mental health practice. I was looking for a book to use with children who are too young to read and that had great photos with just a short amount of text for each feeling. This book fits the bill perfectly.
on November 27, 2012
I use this in my office when I work with children. For smaller children 3-10 we discuss facial expressions and I have them tell me a story about each picture. There are lots of feelings in this book to discuss with kids.
on June 15, 2013
I wish these had more expressions and they didn't try to cram so many pictures at a time on one page. It needs a simpler layout. "On Monday When it Rained" is a better book....although that one too, could have used more expressions.
on March 5, 2011
I use this book in my therapy with traumatized children to help build a feelings vocabulary and provide a nonthreatening forum for them to talk about their own feelings. Each feeling has three different children showing how they express a particular emotion. I particularly like this aspect of the book because kids look different and it demonstrates how one feeling can look slightly different. Young children, who are particularly literal, can relate to at least one of the pictures.
on August 9, 2015
Seriously dated. Photo quality is grainy. Overall quality of paper and binding is low. Probably would have made a better board book? I paid the full list price and it was not worth it. 2 stars just because I couldn't find anything else that showed photos of faces with emotions labeled. Disappointing but better than nothing I guess.