Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 312 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 322 reviews
on April 3, 2011
The item came quickly and works very well. It is a little loud, but this shredder is far more powerful and safer that the Aptiva Brand that it replaced. Also, very safe. Chrome strip around the input senses touch and stops the shredder if touched, so you (and possibly the kids) will not be hurt. Handy input hole in front for recyclable items that do not need shredding.
on August 22, 2011
Very nice design, It is quiet, I like it, but it chokes on 10 sheets.

I have letters that I want to shred, but if I get a 2 page letter, that is in an envelope, so the letter is folded in 1/3rds this shredder can not handle it all the time.... That was exactly what I wanted, to be able to shred those damn 2 page confirmation letters I get... all the other pieces of the shredder work, nice bin, I like the opening to put shredded paper there, the level indicator is nice.... but this is an 8 page shredder at best.

... oh yes, I oiled it.
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2012
I bought this shredder from Amazon on October 8th, 2011. Today, August 25th, 2012 it died. It's still under warranty, which is great, but it's extremely inconvenient to have to go through the warranty process.

The problem is the internal gears. The geared motor spindle is metal, as are the drive gears for the shredder blades. Unfortunately, the gears which transfer power from the motor spindle to the drive gears are stiff plastic. Eventually (in this case sooner than later), the motor spindle wears/cuts away the threads on the plastic gear, leaving a spot without threads. When the motor hits this spot, it just spins (the symptom being the high-pitched whine of a motor spinning without any shredder motion), and the shredder is dead. This same thing happened to our previous shredder which this DS-3 replaced last October.

I have hopes of a replacement from Fellowes under warranty. We've used the shredder daily, but never abused it. It's never had the over-temperature indicator come on.

It seems that using *metal* gears would fix the problem, at a small increase in cost. On the other hand, I'm sure they've done calculations that trade the extra cost on every machine vs. the cost of warranty replacement/repair of some smaller fraction of machines. Alas, that calculation doesn't factor in the cost of my time/irritation.

UPDATE: Fellowes customer service replaced the entire unit under warranty with what appeared to be a brand new shredder (same model). Pretty painless, and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of hassle.
55 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2011
Quickly delivery with Amazon Prime.

CONS:
-Noisy
-Shred size is approx. 2 inches long. Wish is it could be 1 inch at least - even my old 3-sheet shredder that always burns out cuts smaller than that
-Would be nice if it had wheels (because the top is heavy)

PROS:
-Powerful motor (it took 10 sheets and I'm sure it could take 11, but haven't tried the 11 sheets)
-Has a gap for you to press the shred particles down
-Safety mechanism in case your fingers get too close or if you have kids who might go near it
-Perfect office waste basket size
-Top motor part has a handle for you to lift up and the underside has a piece of plastic shield, so when you rest the motor down, the blade does not scratch your floors

Would I buy again? YES.
on July 22, 2015
Can you love a shredder??
I just got this one to replace the last Shredder-Love of my Life that DIED when a tissue accidently got in the teeth :((((
The first thing I noticed on this was how heavy and powerful it felt. To be honest, I just used it for the first time and it was nice an nippy. Ate up the papers as if it was hungry to work. I like the handle - easy to tote around because it is closeted when not in use. Easy-to-see indicator on how full it is..
Simple to set up...
I hope this one lives several years....... I did purchase the 3-year extended warrenty. It was only about $3.00 and since I seem to be hard on shredders, well .... we shall see.
on February 13, 2012
I bought this paper shredder because of the excellent reviews and the DS-3 safety rating. It was purchased solely for home use. My wife and I have owned one other shredder, but after about 4 years it was starting to wear out.

The first thing I did when I received this shredder was test its shredding ability. It made quick work of 10 pages of printer paper at a time, 1 cd, and an extra thick plastic card. I then went on to shred the entire box it came in without having any issues.

I highly recommend this model for its shredding ability, low sound level, and quick shredding.
on July 5, 2015
This is a good product. Only drawback is that size of trash can doesn't hold a lot of shredded paper. If you are shredding a lot, dumping the can becomes tedious, and all that paper dust! I wear a mask and eye goggles for safety when dumping. The top is a bit heavy for me, but I think that would not be true for most people. Anyway, it does work well--easy to operate and maintain (i.e., applying vegetable-based oil on shredder teeth). I recommend it if you have patience w/ dumping process.
on March 12, 2017
WARNING!!!!! Works great as a shredder, but when my daughter leaned over it, because of it's sensitivity, it automatically started shredding her hair, pulling her down into it. Thankfully, I was in the same room and came running!!!!! This is a hazard!!!!!
on April 1, 2013
This product came highly recommended by user ratings, whose endorsement was certainly good enough for me. I've never had an easier time shredding. I highly recommend this product.
on July 12, 2013
I bought a cheaper quality shredder which died in less than two weeks. So far this shredder has done a great
job at helping me clean up my office with a lot of old papers I want shredded before I toss.