Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 29, 2011
It took me a few days of fiddling with all the amp and effects options to create my own personal presets for my playing styles. But the sound is unbeatable without thousands invested in separate amps and effects--and a warehouse to keep them all in! The clean sound is as good as it gets. The metal sound is too. You can also get a very good warm (or sharp) bluesy overdriven tube sound. I've played tube amps for years and I can't detect any significant difference between the Mustang III and a real tube amp. Maybe Eric Clapton could, but I can't. The are a couple of minor downsides that I can tell: First, the amp does not remember the setting it was on when it was turned off--it always turns on to preset 00--and it does not hold temporary setting changes when flipping between presets. For example, say you decide to temporarily use a wide delay effect on a favorite preset, but then want to hold that while switching to another preset...it won't do it. In order to do that you have to have saved the wide delay to the patch before hand. It does not work like a pedal that stays on until you stomp it off. But once you understand the limitation, it is very easy to plan for and should not be a problem for most people. The amp ships with 100 presets, many of which I found only marginally useful. One option is to use the basic amp models in presets 88-99 and simply copy/paste them to 00-12. Then tweak each to your preferred sound, add in your favorite effects, and then save. Once saved, you can instantly tweak gain, volume, and equalization with a simple knob twist...just like on any legacy amp. All in all, I am tremendously satisfied with the amp. It sounds great and it is easier to use than any effects pedal board. [Note: The Fender Fuse software is a different story. It will not run on my relatively new laptop without crashing. Even on the odd occasion that it runs, I have not been able to get it to save the presets from my amp or to download presets from the user community. The software is a great idea in need of better programming.]

Late May 2011 Update: I am now one with the amp and find myself more and more impressed with it everytime I play. There is literally no sound that I can't get and it gets easier to tweak and customize settings the more I use it. Where it really beats the Mustang I/II is in the ability to turn individual effects on and off without swtiching patches. It also adds a "stompbox" setting for things like overdrive or compression (and a few others) also without having to switch the patch or use that blasted Fuse software. I find both the overdrive and compression to be tremendously useful and often thank myself for spending the extra 100 bucks rather than buy the Mustang II. Even better, I can physically see which settings are active on the LCD screen...something you can't quite tell for sure on the Mustang I/II.
36 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 28, 2013
I have an epiphone les paul custom 100 and have been looking for a good priced amp. I have seen the mustang series and read the specs. i was intrigued by all the modeled amps. i looked over the line 6 inventory and thought i could get more bang for my buck on the mustang III. i have spent that last month rolling through everything this amp has to offer and have yet to be disappointed. i read that this amp produced a background fuzz but i have not experienced that as of yet. the clean selection allows one to build the guitar sound from external pedals. the amp has both delay and reverb so you can build a complex sound easily. there are also multiple custom setting to allow you to build and save your new sound. i have had this a little over a month and it will take the better part of a year to get through everything and max out what i do with this thing. one thing i looked at was connecting the amp to my computer. it opened more modeled amps online. this amp is perfect for small gigs and learning at home. the only problem i have had with this is that i get caught up rolling through the different amps and customizing sounds and don't get to the actual practicing. LOL. for the price i don't think you can do better than the mustang III.
on July 2, 2013
This amp delivers on everything promised, and then some. There is an incredible range of "modeled" tones. Some other reviewers have criticized the "clean" settings, but I've found them to be free of hum or unwanted electronic tones, even when I'm using a 1960s Rick. I'm not giving the amp 5 stars because some of the "old school" effects, such as fuzz, sound too processed and not "warm"--no surprise, it's not a tube amp. On the other hand, I'm just getting started with my own effect settings and the software that allows access to a whole library of custom settings, so I may be able to address that one issue I now have with the amp.
More than anything else, the amp has made me want to play more, and to experiment more with my sound.
on July 24, 2016
sounds very cool, the presets are great
on July 20, 2013
This Fender Amp has so many features that after a few weeks I have still not scratched the surface. I am having so much fun with the ones I have tried. I love it.
on December 26, 2012
The presets on this amp are awesome. They range from simple bluesy sounds to some heavy sounds for heavier music. Don't get this though, expecting to do some death metal, I don't think you'll be as pleased as me. This is a great amp for 70s and 80s rock music, in my opinion. It does a great job doing what it is advertised to do. I haven't set the volume above 3 yet...
on January 2, 2013
My friend has Mustang II, but for another $80 more, I got me a Mustang III which is way alot better and sounds great than the Mustang II. I recommend to all my friend to get the Mustang III. I was surprised too, it came in alot earlier than expexted delivery date.
One person found this helpful
on July 15, 2011
Modeling amps have come a long way in the past decade. For the price I doubt you will find a more versatile amp. The marketing for this amp emphasises the heavy metal sounds but it is also capable of wide variety of clean sounds as well. It does an excellnet job of recreating a variety of vitage amps. About 50% of the time I play a Fender Strat and the rest of the time I play acoustic Taylor 614Ce. I was looking for a single amp for practice and performances which could handle both. The 100 presets sound great with the Strat giving a wide variety of sounds covering all my needs plus some. But the presets are not great for the acoustic, too little base too much treble ... not a problem. Serveral presets work well for an acoustic guitar if you simply bring up the base and turning down the treble (i.e. setting #22). You can further adjust the sound to your liking. If you play acoustic only look for an acoustic amp ... for me I did not want to lug two amps around.

The pros are great sound, amazingly flexible, good volume and clarity from low to high volume. The Aux in is also nice, at times we use a drum machine which can be run through the amp aux in.

There are a few negatives although minor.
I often run the amp through the venue sound system. The line out/headphone jack is 1/8 inch not 1/4 inch. I use an adapter but the jack feels very flimsy is if it gets bumped hard it could break off.
The included two button foot peddle is nice and works as advertized, but scolling up and down through dozens of presets is not practical or using it to simply switch between two presets is not useful for me either. This can easily be remedied by creating your own presets and storing them all near each other for scrolling up and down.

Overall I love this amp and expect to be using it for years to come.
2 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2012
I am very impressed with this amp . Plenty of power. The presets are awesome. I love the headphone jack & the AUX as I can plug my android phone into it to play music also. The fender fuse software lets you play around with more presets that can be downloaded. Love this amp with my Gretsch 5122.
on October 19, 2012
This amp is everything I wanted it to be. The amp emulations are spot on and has quiet operation. Loud enough for most players and the mp3 input and headphone output make silent practice a breeze. The effects are great and the the amp is light enough to carry around. I am very pleased. Fender has really come through with the whole Mustang line. This combo amp is the best value in the whole line. Sounds great at any volume level.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question