Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on April 24, 2009
Even on "dim" this little light puts out plenty of light for walking around in the dark. On "bright" it's bright enough that I can stand in one place and scan my ~10,000 square foot lawn for toys left out. Wow.

Comparing to Maglite, it's roughly as bright as a 3D flashlight (with much shorter run time, of course), or brighter than the AAA flashlights (with longer run time).

Specs:
Dim: 10 lumens, 8.5 hours.
Medium: 27 lumens, 3.5 hours.
Bright: 80 lumens, 1 hour.

Compare with traditional Maglite:
Solitaire: 2.3 lumens, 3.5 hours.
Mini AAA: 15.6 lumens, 2 hours.
Mini AA: 15.2 lumens, 5.5 hours.
2C/D: 36.5-40.6 lumens, 5 hours C, 9-10 hours D
3C/D: 76-82.5 lumens, 5 hours C, 9-10 hours D

(Maglite does not advertise lumen rating or run time for their LED flashlights.)

I have two relatively minor quibbles:
1) Since "dim" is plenty for most uses, I would prefer if the sequence was dim-medium-bright instead of medium-dim-bright.
2) I think (though I am not sure) that I would prefer a pushbutton switch over the twist switch. Not sure where you'd put the button on a lamp this small, though.

[ April 2012 ]

Still carrying it all the time, still happy.

[ May 2014 ]

Still happy.
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
I am a serial abuser of products. There are few things in this world that I have not broken, and somehow this little thing is one of them despite getting some of the worst of it.

* It has been frozen to the point that the lithium battery ceased to power it.

* It has fallen in to the filthiest swamp water I did not want to imagine (until I had to go digging around in it to get my precious light back).

* It has spent days in places so humid that my instant rice did not need water added to it.

* It went through deserts where I lost many other pieces of kit to fine dust that eats away at everything.

* It has bounced down the granite boulders and been dropped off of and on to all sorts of things.

And it works, it works, it works. It even still looks good.
Do you need something like that? Probably not, but if you want something reliable and sturdy and are willing to pay a little extra to get the real deal than this is it.

Other thoughts:

Don't get a flashlight that takes some strange rechargeable battery. It will be dead when you decide you need it, or sitting on a charger somewhere that you aren't.

Lithium non-rechargable batteries last a long time, are unrealistically light, take temperature as good as anything can. For a little torch like this they are perfect.

This is very lightweight. Which means you can take it with you. In my case, it means I can take a little more food or comfort in to the desert, swamp, or ice instead of a bigger flashlight that does the same thing.

Avoid the disposable culture. Skip the cheap walmart special. Get something that will last you.

I get 3-10 running hours depending on settings.

Edit: my review was from 2012, it is now 2016 and I feel compelled to update this by saying that not only is this light still going strong, but yesterday in a moment of automotive repair induced passion I forcefully chucked this little guy in to the concrete. Pretty sure the concrete took more damage than the light.
on March 21, 2014
Yes its shorter and smaller than my pinkie finger, and it seems like a high price to pay for a.....flashlight..... but it works well for me and I recommend it. Fits on my keychain to make it easily accessible to me at any time as I always carry my keys, and is smaller than the pocketknife I carry in the same pocket. Three settings, and is very bright on the high setting. But I just usually use it on the default setting that comes on when I twist it. Uses a AAA battery that I will always have around the house. This is my second one.

I am dropping a star for two reasons.

First is that 30+ dollars for an item not much bigger than a AAA battery sort of disturbs me, no matter how great it is.

Second reason is the twist to turn on feature related and how it relates to my own stupidity. My first one had looser threads than my current one, and I always screwed it out, or off, further than necessary, as I had it turn on inside my pocket once. But in screwing it out further than necessary, I went too far and recently when I pulled my keys out, the end with the bulb and battery fell off. I heard a tinkling sound thinking I dropped a penny or something. Didn't realize it was the bulb end of my flashlight till I got home. Since it was a 40 minute drive to where I lost it, I accepted my loss. But I reordered this exact replacement flashlight within a day. So that may be a better guage of how much I like this flashlight, and am now thinking about making a trip over to see if I can still find that lost bulb end, considering how small it is. I know exactly where it should be.
on July 8, 2009
I purchased the LD01 because I was looking for a durable and bright light to add to my keychain. Usually Inova or Photon are the first brands that come to mind for this type of light, but in this case I'm glad I did a bit more research because this is a very nice little light. It was also a no-brainer to go for a light that uses triple-A batteries rather than button cells, because I can have this thing back up and running with greater flexibility should it go dead, plus it's cheaper to run.

Pros:
+Small size (about the size of a Chapstick)
+Big power (80 lumens max? Better than most full-size flashlights!)
+Well built, probably will never break
+Uses AAA battery (easy to find replacements and cheaper to run)
+Three brightness settings for different applications/battery conservation

Cons:
-Anodized black finish will wear off pretty quickly when in pocket with other keys/metal
-Low/Medium settings emit a bit of a high-pitched hum (due to ultra-fast flickering technique used to achieve partial brightness, some people may not even notice)
-Can be inconvenient to toggle through medium/low/high settings. Would prefer unit to default to low instead of medium.

Other thoughts:
If you are on a budget (or just don't want to spend forty bucks on a keychain light), go with the Fenix E01 instead. It will provide great performance at less than 1/3 the price of this light.
77 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2009
Who would want to spend 40 dollars on a mini flashlight? Once you have this baby in your hand, and see the light output, all quells of spending the money will disappear! This is one fantastic flashlight in a tiny package. I'll compare it to other fenix flashlights that I have.

Compared to the E01:
I think the E01 is hand's down the best mini *best value* keyring flashlight ever built. It's so good, and cheap that I would love to buy one for everyone I know. It offers good light for 20 hours! Compared to the E01, the LD01 in the same mode only offers 10 hours. (both use AAA). The E01 is slightly shorter.

Compared to the LD10:
This is fenix's AA version of the flashlight. The LD10 is almost 2x the size of the Ld01. It takes AA batteries, and just feels more solid than the LD01 or E01. I actually prefer the light outout of the LD01, as it is not as concentrated a light spread and seems less hot-spottish.

Major gripe of the LD01.

I had to go through 3 shipments of LD01's from Amazon to find one that didn't have a electrical problem. The electrical problem was light would automatically cycle through the different modes by itself. I was using fresh batteries to test. This means their quality control (their meaning fenix) is really poor. On any other typical product, I would have given up after 2 defective products, but since the LD01 is such a fantastic light in a minature package, as long as my current one doesn't die on me, this is the best keyring flashlight I've ever used!
on August 27, 2013
Although this light is a great little light I gave it a less than perfect review because I purchased the 80 lumen model and received the 72 lumen version which I could have gotten for less elsewhere. The seller quickly contacted me to make it right but the light had already been put to use, however to their credit I will say that their response was quick and they were prepared to remedy the situation so I find their customer relations very good. I have had several of these lights and abuse them without mercy in the course of my work and they hold up well while I can ruin a lesser light in a matter of weeks.
VINE VOICEon December 28, 2009
This is about the size of a Case Stockman pocket knife, and is about as useful. I keep mine in my pocket all the time and use it every morning so I know what color shirt I'm getting out of the closet. I get more use out of this than I do my pocket knife, so If I had to leave on at home...

Really, this is a good value and handy too. You can get a shiny stainless steel one for about $15 more, which might have a more durable finish. Maybe.

Twists on and off. Maybe 1/10 of a turn required. Easy to do one-handed.
on August 3, 2016
Failed after a few years of service: Popping noise and acrid smell when twisting open to change Duracell alkaline batteries. Could not remove battery from case. The light still works with another Fenix body. Also happened on older Fenix L0D bought elsewhere. Found reference on web that problem may be due to this design lacking pressure relief safety from hydrogen gas buildup. Great while it worked, but need long-term reliability.
on May 19, 2011
Bought one of these years ago in the Q5 single brightness version. This little flashlight is unbelievable. Amazingly BRIGHT. Extremely rugged. Uses AAA commonly available batteries (1). And this LDO1 is NOT a battery hog with very respectable economy of battery life. Mine has been used as an Every Day Carry pocket light for over two years now. At work, at home, on trips, it has been everywhere and I'm lucky it has not been lost by now.

I am somewhat of a flashlight 'Nut' and have other high-end LED lights that are larger, brighter, have more modes of brightness, nicer, cost more, and use more expensive batteries. They are better BUT THIS LDO1 is the light I use all the time.

THIS Fenix LDO1 is THE LIGHT that will 'grow on you' because it just dependably works when it's needed. And when it's needed it'll more likely be with you than something larger. This little light, about the size of a 3 inch .410 shotshell, easily betters the power and beam quality of 2D Cell flashlights of 30 years ago and does it with a clean well-defined beam that's not too much a spot nor too much a flood. Beam geometry is perfect for great versatility with this light.

I don't normally write reviews for stuff BUT this light is so impressive that I beat this one out to share my experience with others. Everyone ought to have one of these LDO1 Fenix lights. If I could rate this light 6 Stars instead of 5 - I certainly would.

The only potential downside is the small size. The reason I say this is because you'll be sick if it's lost.
on July 2, 2016
Nice light as an EDC for indoor areas that do not require 1750 lumens. Admittedly I did drop the thing a few dozen times from spiders dropping down the back of my neck, crazy cats jumping at me in the dark, and the occasional herd of moths that liked to land all over my head and shoulders. I suspect the repeated dropping was not recommended by Fenix but it did lead me to a more practical light.