Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Field Notes on the Compassionate Life: A Search for the Soul of Kindness
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on November 1, 2014
Very interesting. It was a sequence of, one might say, experiments in living with more compassion. Some were more interesting than others. Sometimes it was inspirational, but at other times it was more like investigative journalism, too intellectual. That switch in tone was a little off-putting. But there's some great material in here.
on August 2, 2005
Barasch's book "Field Notes on the Compassionate Life" is an essential discourse for anyone wishing to better understand the importance of compassion and kindness. It is an intelligent, wise, very thoughtful and insightful read and one that provides truly optimal nourishment for the heart, mind and soul. It is a guide which gracefully directs one's thinking about what matters most in a hurting, often cold and heartless world; that is kindness, altruism, empathy and compassion. For anyone who may need a refresher course on the crucial components of empathy and compassion and a reminder of why it is important to exercise and implement such components, this IS the book to read!

I thoroughly enjoyed and savored this considerate, thoughtful book. Barasch raises such important issues that all people should be mindful of and embrace. As we are all too often bombarded by disturbing news of terrorism, violence, war and tragedies from around the globe, this book reminds us of what makes human beings worthy and inherently good. It reminds us of how capable we ALL are of promoting kindness and caring for one another with utmost grace and dignity.

For anyone seeking guidance and a more profound understanding of empathy, Barasch's treatise on kindness and compassion is articulate, thoughtful, thought-provoking and very well-written. I can't recommend this important, vitally nourishing book enough!
on February 27, 2008
I came across this book in the 'NEW BOOKS' section of my public library. I have since purchased it, read it twice and sent copies to my friends. Barasch's intelligent, wise, and colorful writing style makes this book extremely pleasurable to read. I found it very inspiring. There's no need to detail the content here, as other reviewers have already done that very well. I will add that one of the things which most impressed me was his personal honesty. To make certain points, he does not shy away from showing us details of his own life which are not flattering. Far from this making him look bad, however, his baring of his soul only increased my respect for him. I hope he is in the process of writing another book soon. Very very highly recommended!
on October 8, 2013
I randomly chose this book out of a friend's collection and I couldn't have done much better for myself. Barasch writes in a friendly, unpretentious, and casual way, which makes this nonfiction book very digestible and easy-to-read. One can't help but be moved by the examples, studies, and insightful thoughts that make up the writing, and even though I didn't necessarily begin reading this book as a "seeker" of more compassion, I find that I have been transformed, if even just a little, into a more compassionate and loving person.

I wish that everyone would read this book!
on August 12, 2010
I spotted Field Notes on the Compassionate Life on a table in the social room of the Quaker Meeting House where I worship and quickly snagged it. Since I have trouble holding hardcover books in my hands, I thought I'd just hold on to it and dip in from time to time until the book came out in paperback. I would not have known that The Compassionate Life is an update but for Bruce W. Miles' review. So now, years later, I can finally return the hardcover (I did tell them I had it) and get myself a more manageable paperback. Thanks for posting the information. Field Notes is such a good book that it's worth contending with even in hardcover, but whichever version you prefer, this book has much to offer.
on January 12, 2011
An editor friend gave this book to me, and inside I found a Post-it-Note from her than read as follows: "For my dear friend who has a kind heart and soul. Warning: There is some VERY touching stuff in here." She knows me well, and the book did make my tears well up more than once. The book is dedicated "To the Givers." Barasch gave us a beautiful book, a shining lodestar to guide us to a more tender heart even in--especially in--an increasingly tough world.
on January 12, 2011
This book is appropriate for any human with a heart. Beg, borrow, buy or steal; please, find a way to read it. I purchased a copy for all of my closest friends and loved ones.
on December 29, 2007
I love this book. Read it, then keep it around because you will think of it often. Beautiful.
on February 10, 2014
I saw the author speak at the Institute of Integral Studies in SF and was compelled toward the material! Not only is the author sensitive and insightful but also quite a cutie! ;D
on April 23, 2013
I needed this book after watching Marc Ian Barasch on the documentary "I Am." It's a great, very readable, and important book.