Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 23, 2017
Love this book. It is helping in my personal and professional life. I am almost half way through and I have learned and used so many skills so far. I can't wait to finish it. I have friends and colleagues waiting to barrow my copy after I finish. I highly recommend.
on September 10, 2013
We bring reality into existence through language. The observation that "the conversation is the relationship" should cause most to have an epiphany or "aha" moment! You will ask yourself: what have I been missing out on by not being present in the conversations I have with others? When we compromise or dismiss the conversation we suffer, slowly then ultimately. We get what we tolerate. "A fierce conversation is one in which we come out from behind ourselves into the conversation and make it real." To quote the author, "Fierce conversations are about moral courage, clear requests, and taking action. Fierce is an attitude. A way of conducting business. A way of leading. A way of life."

This book will change how you lead (we lead through communication), how you live your life (with loved ones and important relationships in your life), and will impact the "richness" of your relationships.

Well written and a joy to read.

Jacques
If your relationships at home or work could use improvement, then this is a must read book. The title is probably a little misleading and perhaps intimidating. After all, most people I know do not like confrontation. And the title sounds like you will be having toe to toe, screaming matches. But a fierce conversation is not about who can shout the loudest.

The book is based on the fundamental truth that most of the time we have polite conversations rather than real ones. We talk about things that are safe rather than the things that really need to be talked about.

Susan Scott has written a wonderful book that address the importance of having real conversations and then tells you how to make sure you can pull them off.

For starters, she says the purpose of a fierce conversation is to
interrogate reality, provoke learning, tackle tough challenges and enrich relationships." The last point is so important. Lots of people have tough conversations but often these cause the relationship to deteriorate.

If you follow the steps, you will not only talk through the tough issues, you will build better relationships. This is true for work relationships as well as personal relationships.

Scott addresses five different types of conversations. They are: team conversations, coaching conversations, delegation conversations and confrontational conversations. And she gives the model and example for each.

Susan gives seven principles to guide a person in their fierce conversations. They are: Master the courage to interrogate reality, Come out from behind yourself and make the conversation real, Be here, prepared to be nowhere else, Tackle your toughest challenge today, Obey your instincts, Take responsibility for your own wake and Let silence do the heavy lifting.

I do not know anyone who uses silence as they should. Most people are too eager to tell their story, show how much they know, they forget to let silence into the conversation.

The book does a marvelous job of discussing how to truly have fierce conversations. But an underlying theme of the book is that most conversations are with your self. On occasions, other people are involved. If you want to truly master fierce conversations, you must master them with your self first.

It is not a book to just read and file away. This is a book you need to keep handy, refer to often. The appendix has some wonderful worksheets and questions and there is a User's Guide at the end.

The book is well written, easy to read with lots of helpful examples. If you implement just a portion of the wisdom in this book, it will change your life.

The big lesson is to interrogate reality in all your conversations. What are you pretending not to know? What are you afraid to discuss with your boss/ co-worker or spouse?

A polite conversation is a failed conversation because you did not talk about the issues that are crying to be addressed.

Truly a life changing book. Susan has written a companion book that I also highly recommend - Fierce Leadership - check it out.
on March 12, 2016
Definitely worth reading. Excellent thoughts about how, why, and when we communicate. Many memorable lines like when we think a conversation is needed, it is! And, Life is a conversation I have with myself and occasionally include others. What's really helpful is the author includes lists to help prepare for conversations in different contexts. Probably something I'll reread and use for a reference.
on December 21, 2013
I was referred this book by a life coach and I had it until July when I finally opened it.

Until then, I was still angsty over my past, bothered by my present, and unsure about my future. After reading the first 33 pages of this book, I knew my life would be different.

I recommend this book to everyone because it touches on the important aspects of a relationship, which is the conversation. The conversation being the relationship itself was the single greatest thing I have learned in my 2013 so far. Scott lays it out pretty clearly in how to achieve a Fierce conversation.

Your owe it to yourself. Get this book. Change your mindset. Change your life.
on July 28, 2014
Since the first few chapters into the book I started thinking of many timid conversations I had recently that should have been fierce. Someone in my company lost his job and perhaps fierceness could have spared him from loosing it and the company from the time and resources lost. I had the opportunity to have a fierce conversation with my sister that allowed the two of us to come to an agreement about an uncomfortable issue that left the two of us feeling like winners. We parted feeling happy with each other and the fact of the issue being resolved. I do not have to dread our next encounter! I intend to study and practice the principles suggested to become very good at being myself from now on. No more masks! Very liberating and it works!
on August 5, 2017
This was a great product which came in a very timely manner. Keep up the good work .
on June 12, 2012
What are you pretending not to know? What are you tolerating in your life? What are you not being honest about? These are the questions we tend not to ask ourselves. We hide out. We hide out in our relationships. We let things go that are simply not okay with us. Rarely, are we honest with the people we are in relationships with and even more rarely are we that honest with ourselves.

Fierce Conversations is a great wake up call to saying what's so. It a great wake up call to be honest and to have the hard, "fierce", conversations. The conversation is the relationship, so what kind of relationship do you want?

I have never regretted speaking my truth. I have never regretted telling the truth, even when it is unpopular or at a great cost. And I have certainly never regretted a fierce conversation.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to anyone ready to take a good look at themselves and their relationships.
on September 14, 2016
Useful content, practical for personal and professional application. Very engaging and well read (by the author, which I love). Drug in a few places, but overall is very worthwhile. Highly recommend.
on February 28, 2015
Let's face it, we can all be better at giving feedback and communicating tough messages in a objective less emotional way (less emotion, not no emotion). Fierce Conversations provides a detailed methodology to do so. Should be required reading at every company.