Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 161 reviews
on December 20, 2014
I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after years of disabling pain. This book gave me tips to possible factors aggravating my condition which, combined with medicines prescribed by my rheumatologist, enabled me to achieve greater comfort and a higher level of activity than under the medicines alone.

Dr. Liptan has a serious medical and scientific mind and presents her personal anecdotal evidence as personal anecdotal evidence while also providing an invaluable summation of important studies related to this cruel affliction. She, herself, has been a sufferer since medical school and her struggle and personal research has been invaluable to me. I was able to achieve more relief than I had known in years with a handful of changes to my sleep habits and vitamin regimen, and utilizing relaxation techniques I had left moldering in my mental attic for decades. While hardly cured, it was a remarkable blessing to wake in the morning rested again less than a week after reading the book and adopting an initial handful of her many suggestions.

Hopefully, the medical community will take Dr. Liptan's work as an opportunity to author new studies that might lend humane relief to millions of Fibromyalgia patients.
on January 16, 2014
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1999 and never had a minute without pain for 15 months. Then I discovered the guaifenesin protocol and went from being on disability to going back to work as an ER nurse in 3 months. Guai definitely works if you avoid all the salicylates in the products you use (see Dr. St. Amand's book for details). My pain was decreased by 90% overall. Dr. Liptan doesn't mention trying the guaifenesin protocol but she rates it as "ineffective". This is just not true and may dissuade others from experiencing the opportunity for the relief it offers. You have nothing to lose by trying it and it can give you your life back, as it did for me.

That major concern aside, I thought the book was well-researched and I think the description of being stuck in the sympathetic "flight or fight" mode makes a lot of sense. I was also intrigued by the theory of pain originating in the fascia rather than the muscles and my chiropractor has agreed to start myofascial stretching treatments for me. I just have two area where pain persists and I think this may help.

Certainly, this should be one of the fibro books you buy--but not the only one.
on August 11, 2011
This book is very informative and scientific. I'm personally sick of books that tell you to take a ton of supplements, herbs, and change your diet and exercise in ways that only hurt you. This book has great and realistic advice on those things and tells you how to exercise carefully so that it actually helps and can't hurt you.

It's true that the vast majority of people can not and never will be able to afford the massage treatments she describes. For those who can it's nice to know what type of massage is beneficial and worth your money.

As for the extremely expensive medication. Don't give up hope! Although it would probably be hard to get your doctor to prescribe it since it's highly regulated and abused by evil people (it's basically a different form of the date rape drug), you can probably afford it or even get it completely free through the drug company's patient assistance program. Anybody who doesn't have insurance or struggles with their insurance company should know that EVERY DRUG COMPANY HAS A PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM THAT CAN HELP YOU GET YOUR MEDICATION, OFTEN FOR FREE OR NEARLY FREE. GOOGLE IT!
on April 15, 2011
Thank you to Dr. Ginevra Liptan for writing this book for all of us who suffer daily with Fibromyalgia.

My symptoms and complaints to my doctors began two weeks after a hysterectomy. Fast foward almost 7 years later when a doctor finally listened to my complaints and sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me as having Fibromyalgia who informed me that there was absolutely no reason why I was not given the diagnosis years prior.

Since 2007 I have read virtually every book, article, and study related to Fibromyalgia and yet never felt like I had been given any true information. Dr. Ginevra Liptan words changed that. I know feel empowered and more importantly I feel like I have a better understanding of this horrible syndrome.

I purchased the kindle version, but honestly, I believe that I should have purchased the actual paperback so I could highlight passages, and share the book with my doctor! I plan on talking to my doctor about the ELISA/ACT blood testing at my next appointment.

If you have fibromyalgia, or believe you may have fibromyalgia, I promise you that this will be the last book that you will need to spend your money on!!

Dr. Ginevra Liptan, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for writing this book.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2014
I've had fibro for 24 years. During that time I've explored many, many, many avenues for healing and hope. This book has made the most sense to me out of all the theories and treatments out there. I am getting underway trying her recommendations. One downside is that the sleep med she recommends as a foundational treatment is very difficult to access. At the time of her writing, the drug company was attempting to get the FDA approval for use with fibro. They failed. So as hopeful as the drug sounds, it is a bit of a letdown to know it is so difficult to obtain and so expensive. But I am trying to get it anyway. Crossing fingers and attempting to follow all of her other recommendations. I don't know where it will lead but it was a relief to read a comprehensive theory of fibro that made deep sense with my experience.
on August 14, 2015
I think she's wonderful, loved her style, loved learning stuff, but I gave it two stars because so much more has been added to the conversation that this is too outdated. It's time for a newer edition.
on June 30, 2012
I think it is a good book for people like myself who have already read all the other books out there that belabor the individual points, as this helps to succinctly put them all together (which is also helpful in explaining it to family & friends). I think it may also be helpful for those who have NOT yet read everything else out there for the same reason and because it may make reading any other books easier to comprehend and put them into perspective. Although others have complained about her enthusiasm for certain pharmaceuticals (and I am not keen on them either), she is trying to give a balanced perspective on what is out there and on what she herself has experienced either personally or through her patients. The fact that she does also discuss some alternative treatments is commendable, even if the listings are rather sparse. That is in keeping with the succinct nature of the book and the number of pages in the chapter devoted to alternative treatments is roughly the same as the number in the chapter dedicated to prescriptions. I would have liked a little more detail devoted to Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS) and maybe diet, but again, it is a concise treatment of the subject of Fibromyalgia. I personally haven't found that there is any book out there that could be called the "ideal" or "perfect" book on Fibromyalgia, but I think this one is worthy of adding to one's library.
on July 18, 2015
Dr Liptan shares important info from perspective of physician, a specialist....and the patient as she has it. Fibromyalgia needs more experts speaking out, more researchers discovering treatments or,even better, how to cure or at least alleviate the suffering I see in my family member.
Even, today, many physicians miss it. ...and we re great advocates of good physicians.
on April 11, 2014
I have just finished this book and have found some very interesting things out about this thing called Fibromyalgia. This Doctor actually had it herself so she is writing with experience. She had to try many trial and error procedures to get herself threw medical school while having this disease which leaves you weak and your brain foggy. I also have self diagnosed myself as having fibromyalgia and like the Doctor have been searching for ways to calm it down, get the energy I need to get out of bed, and stop the pain. I have found what I eat has changed almost everything. I eat a natural raw diet or as raw as I can handle mostly vegetables. The Doctor is busy looking for meds to help. So our approach to help your body rid itself of this disease is different, she has put a lot of energy into this book and I have learned a great deal. She had a clinic which has just recently closed down due to lack of insurance funding but she is continuing her research. Learning what part of the muscle is making you hurt so much has helped me understand the pain. I am detoxing and using massage to work with the disease and am feeling better. This book has helped me along.
on October 26, 2014
This book is great for newly diagnosed patients or friends and family of patients. It's written by an MD who understands and even argues that patients are often misunderstood and then mistreated in a way be doctors who don't believe in fibromyalgia. This book is a good start in suportive reading and a basic understanding of fibromyalgia, although I would not suggest it for researchers and I would suggest that if it leaves an individual suffering from fibromyalgia or those who know someone with it with questions, other texts like "Fibromyalgia & other central pain syndromes" may be a good second or more detailed text to follow up with. However this text along with other like "making sense of fibromyalgia" are great books with lots of detail and will give a reader a well grounded basic understanding of the biology underlying this disorder.