Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 1, 2013
I recommend this wonderful book. I have quite a bit of experience using Filemaker, an application for which I have great admiration. Filemaker is about the easiest relational database available. It doesn't take much effort to create something really useful, but Filemaker is also a very deep and polished application. You can explore deeper and deeper into this cave if you choose and you will be rewarded at every step for having done so. But you need a guide beyond the Help system built into the app. My first preference for a guide into Filemaker software is the excellent world of video courses available by subscription on Lynda.com and VTC.com (VTC primarily for John Mark Osborne's wonderful Filemaker video series). But sometimes a book can take you places even the videos do not. And that is the case with this great book by Susan Prosser and Stuart Gripman. For example, I have never felt the need to learn how to do Custom Menus or even Security and Privilege sets, but now that I am going to put some of my Filemaker databases on our company's server, I thought it time to do so. This book has taught me exactly how to do these two things - and now I can do something I could not do last week. Learning is always hard work and it is important that your teacher lead you in baby steps that are perfectly connected and result in success. I love the examples in this book and the fact that you can download the software sample databases in the examples for free (the "missing CD" -get it?) from the publisher's website and follow along with the instruction. The writing is clear and precise. I find I am not running into typos or missing steps. Someone has really reviewed the instructions before this book was released to make sure the instructions were complete. Just for your information, I go back with Filemaker to version 3.0. I have even attended two annual Filemaker Developer Conferences in Phoenix and and Orlando. I am a Filemaker "enthusiast" but I work by myself. I don't know anyone else who even uses Filemaker so I am totally dependent on outside instructions, but I use Filemaker every day. I write stuff for our law firm and Filemaker is an essential core to our practice. Don't be put off by the dumb name of this application "Filemaker" -- I put it up there with Word, Excel, and Photoshop as some of the best software ever written for the computer. This book can help you master Filemaker Pro 12 (even Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced) and belongs on your shelf!
22 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2013
Really is the "missing manual" that should have been in the box. Great for me, who hasn't built a FileMaker database in about 20 years and great for my husband, who is new to the software.
on May 14, 2013
Database manuals are by nature are complex as are the databases they cover. I am new to Filemaker (have some experience in other database programs) but found the manual covered the topics in a logical manor, easy to read and contained sufficient examples, screen shots etc to convey the technical nature of the workings of Filemaker. I have read the complete book and have dogeared many pages as a reference as I develop new components. Book highly recommended.
on August 9, 2013
I usually like the Missing Manual books. Most of this book is of terrific use for an advanced database creator. The first part of the book starts slow so if you don't have a working knowledge of what a relational database is, then you need to know what's in this book before you spend your money on the FileMaker database. I want to make a simple database for my movies, music, etc. I always want more than what I need as far as what I initially plan and now I know, from this book, that I can go as far as I want to for fun. Yes, I said "fun" because I love databases and this book let me know that I can have the fun that I want.
on December 6, 2013
FileMaker is a wonderful Data Base program with great diversity and depth. The book, multi pages long, presents the matter in a logical order; but in many cases it assumes great computer knowledge than the reader has! The whole idea of a manual like this is simplification and step by step directions which are clear and well defined. The missing manual fails in this in many instances...the amount of information available in the manual is mind boggling; but often confuses the fact rather than answering. Good but complicated!
Jamesgb
on January 25, 2014
Pretty good book to help you with making applications in FileMaker. It starts out very basic. However I would like more detail on scripting and the scripting language as this is vital to making FileMaker do what you want.
on February 9, 2013
Wouldn't have updated from V 9 without buying this book. I keep a copy at the office and at home. Just a good all around resource to jog the memory.
on June 30, 2013
Lives up to its title. Written in a very informative and standardized format, for newbie or veteran. Gives you plenty of info and software to learn FileMaker 12. Only 1 of a few books available that adequately cover this great software!
on May 28, 2014
Very well written with downloadable files! Easy to understand, often humorous, excellent tool for mastering FileMaker Pro!
I learned FileMaker Pro MUCH faster by using this book.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on September 19, 2013
I did learn a lot with this book and was able to create the DB I needed. The goal is met.
However, sometimes the details are so basic that you can't avoid thinking they just wanted to add pages.
Overall, and considering teh alternatives, I would still buy it.