- Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (January 3, 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470224509
- ISBN-13: 978-0470224502
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.7 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 18 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,755,421 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $26.99 shipping
Final Cut Pro 6 For Digital Video Editors Only Paperback – January 3, 2008
From the Back Cover
Forget about memorizing steps. Just focus on being creative.
For the first time in history, the tools to produce high quality, creative video are within reach of every aspiring videographer. If you need to hit the ground running and begin editing quality video right away, this is your book. You won't get every possible way to perform a task — just the methods already proven successful in the real world.
- Learn to configure the Mac operating system and camera settings to make the editing experience more efficient
Use Soundtrack Pro 2 to add music, sound effects, and clean up audio for maximum effect
Incorporate techniques from Apple Motion, Photoshop, and LiveType to enhance your video
Experiment with such industry techniques as the Pleasantville Effect, the Ken Burns Pan and Scan Technique, and the Filmstrip Effect
Fine-tune the audio and bring all parts of your video together in the finished product
Use the Pleasantville Effect to add extra impact
Apply eye-catching effects to text in LiveType
Bonus DVD includes Final Cut Pro project files to help you complete the tutorials in the book.
See the DVD Appendix for details and complete system requirements.
Visit GeniusDV.com for in-depth video tutorials to further your knowledge of Final Cut Pro.
About the Author
Lonzell Watson is one of the elite few who have obtained Certified Professional status as a Final Cut Pro and Avid Xpress user. Lonzell began his career as a videographer and digital video specialist for the web. He then used this experience to become a writer, director, and producer. His work includes national commercials and television programs for PBS, Fox Sports, the Outdoor Channel, and C-SPAN, and video editing for pop superstar Mariah Carey. Lonzell’s talents have also served him well while doing tech work for the traveling Broadway shows The Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, and On Broadway.
In addition to producing his own independent films, Lonzell serves as a trainer and content writer for GeniusDV. His content contains hundreds of published tutorials, and tips that relate to Apple’s Final Cut Studio product line. His daily syndicated content is read by thousands of unique visitors each month.
Showing 1-4 of 18 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
But i'm not happy.
I'm alternately enamored and fed up with this book. i almost think i'm being generous by giving it 3 stars, but i don't want to be cruel, and it has taught me some valuable things.
first of all, this is not for novices. you don't have to be a pro -- i'm not, yet -- but if you don't have at least SOME familiarity with the FCP suite, you'll be lost from page 1. so if this is you, and you're looking to get started with FCP, stop reading this review, purchase the APPLE PRO TRAINING SERIES (APTS) books, and thank me later. those are the best, most thorough ones. they understand that learning requires degrees of repetition and reinforcement. they are well-paced and you will really understand your software when you're done with them.
having said that, let me move on to the pros and cons
1. TEACHES VALUABLE INSIDER TRICKS. This book does a great job of teaching you little insider tricks you might not find anywhere else (like quicktime settings you want to know about, even Mac OS settings you'd otherwise overlook) and this is the reason i bought the book. i was SO IMPRESSED with the ones i saw in the teaser that i figured the rest of the book would turn my world inside out. which it did not.
2. INSPIRES CREATIVITY: this book makes you want to leave the book and just start exploring the program and make your own magic. however, you quickly realize that you haven't really learned how to do very much yet so you can't and your frustrated and hopefully you go back to the book -- or another book -- like the APTS mentioned above.
3. FUN FOOTAGE: These guys picked some really fun footage to work with. skateboarders, bike stunts, desert scenes, music videos, pink flowers... it's truly great footage and makes you feel young just playing with it.
4. GOOD INTEGRATION WITH OTHER SOFTWARE: This book isn't just about FCP, but shows you how to use it with other software, all of which you WILL need, only some of which you probably own. the trouble is, you need to read an entire book to know how to use the other software.
1. BADLY WRITTEN AND POORLY EDITED:
a. This book confuses the hell out of me. it introduces concepts and doesn't clearly state that it's going to tell you how to do it. sometimes it tells you, sometimes it doesn't. and you never know!
b. the pictures are too far away from the relevant text.
c. there are also literally project files missing on the DVD and bizarre misprints -- tells you to do something with one item when it really means the opposite item.
d. honestly, i just don't think they took the time to reread and work with this book. they put it out there before they tested it and it's annoying as hell. it's especially annoying, because it's ALMOST a really good book!
e. The authors clearly understand their subject matter, but they don't know how to convey it to people who don't. and that's me. and probably you. and most likely anyone else reading this review let alone buying the book.
2: MISLEADING TITLE: this book isn't really about mastering FCP, it's about integrating it with other software. it's not that i don't consider this valuable, it's just that it isn't the reason i bought the book so i'm frustrated because i'm learning things i'm not ready to know and far from being able to implement.
DON'T BUY THIS BOOK... YET
Take the APTS, get a grip on the software, and then (and only then) decide if you want/need this book. you'll have fun with it, but it won't take you where you need to go unless you're already almost there.
TO THE WRITER:
you have a decent product, but it was published prematurely.
your short videos are better. the way in which you express yourself lends itself better to that medium than it does the written word. Rename this book, and review it for errors, and then re-release it... or better yet, release a DVD version because writing is not your forte. no offense. there are just others doing the same thing better.
Lynda.com training is good, but if more booka and tutorials could follow this books example many of us would be pros in a shorter amount of time.
Lonzell Watson (Writer of the book)...YOU ARE A WONDERFUL PERSON TO SHARE SO MUCH PASSION AND INSIGHT!!
If the book is used in a process where you check for something in the index then jump to that page, it should work out fine, but as a linear read, it really is scattered.