Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 209 reviews
on September 19, 2014
Final Fantasy III was originally not released in the US, along with II. However, II saw a release with Final Fantasy Origins on the PlayStation 1 with the original Final Fantasy, and also on Game Boy Advance. This DS release is the first time the American audience has seen, and it's quite a good one. Like the first two games, you only have 4 characters, but III originated the Job system. You unlocked different Jobs, or Classes, for your characters as the story moves along, and you end up with quite a few different options for your party. You start out with the original 6 Jobs from the first game, Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Monk, and eventually you have 23 to choose from. Being able to mix and match your characters' abilities is nice, as your party is never predetermined.

The music is fantastic, as always with a Final Fantasy game, and the graphics are quite nice for the DS. Also, the game is fairly difficult. If you're not a fan of leveling up your characters, you won't get far in this game.
on November 16, 2011
I find Final Fantasy 3 on the DS to be very enjoyable. The battle system, equipment system (ability to have weapon and shield or weapon and weapon is a superb feature), and the job system are all top notch. The controls are just fine and navigation around and in the world is as well. Final Fantasy 3's graphics bring the game to life: in-game and the opening movie are aesthetically pleasing. Even though I didn't use the zoom-in and out feature of the camera that much, it was still cool the couple of times I used it.

When playing a RPG, I want to have a good story. What makes for a good story? I think purpose and character development make for a good story. Final Fantasy 3 gives you a purpose for playing the game, but lacks in character development unlike the Final Fantasy games I am used to (Final Fantasy 7 was the first final fantasy game I played...I know, I know, I'm young - I was 11 when I played it and it was new). Does this cripple the game? No, not at all. The game is still enjoyable - it's fun, but overall it could have been better if the story had more dialog and character development.

The difficulty is normal. I had trouble on one boss. What did I do? I went up a couple of levels, then squashed him. If you try to rush through the game, by rush I mean not leveling up in between castles\dungeons\etc., you will find yourself *stuck* because honestly, you can't rush through the game. Anyway, the fun part of RPGs is the leveling up or beefing up your characters.

I highly recommend this game.
on February 16, 2007
Whenever I play any Final Fantasy Game, any version, I always find myself measuring it to the original Final Fantasy for the NES; to me, its the standard because of its degree of difficult and surprise that matches its simply level building game product. Since that version of the game, the Final Fantasies have not lived up to it, not even close, and a lot of it is because Squaresoft is trying too hard.

But most of us haven't play this, the real version of Final Fantasy III. Though it does not live up to the Standard!, FFIII is that game that links the first two FF's and the rest in more ways than just in title. It has the typical storyline, and some of the original FF characters you use to play the game are back in the form of Jobs, and that's just six out of the twenty-three other Jobs that come available as you progress through the game, which include their upgrades such as Warrior to Knight for example. However the game does allow you to challenge yourself with the other Job classes, which in turn can make the game very easy or very difficult. Of course as with the Game Levels you have to increase your Job Levels in order to make your charcters effective in their roles. This does two things, good and bad respectfully: it can give the game tons of replay value and challenge, but it requires a considerable amount of patience, more so than in the previous two versions of Final Fantasy.

Which in that last view is the game's big weakness. It can take time to build up Game Levels because the search for enemy fights can be time consuming and daunting. Even on the world map it can take many steps and many minutes before you run into an enemy encounter, and after a while some of those enemies are so weak it forces you to go into dungeons next in the storyline to fight. That may be the intention of the game designers, but to some degree the enemies at some points are just far over level and can put a serious beat down on parties made up of new Job characters.

The Job system can be a blessing or a curse. Not all the Jobs are available in the beginning, and in order to open the Jobs to strong Job Characters you have to make some late accomplishments in the game. Though it is motivation to play the game, it can get tedious, especially when special weapons and armor when you reach Job Level 99 become available for a weaker character just after you have unlocked a much stronger character who's at Job Level One. It would mean more hours to play the game in order to boast the Level Effectiveness of the said character. That require....well, work! They don't call it a Job for nothing. Then again, games are not supposed to be about work, but about fun. Because of that the game gets 3 Stars.

Overall, if you ignore the caveats, Final Fantasy III does have descent game play. Graphically it could do better, but in a turn-based RPG graphics really don't sell the game. Though 3-D like, it can chunky at times and after a while boring to look at. The dungeon environments are very good with it's slightly looked down on look. Strategy is emphasized, made more by it's saving features than by the bosses themselves, but even then Job character comes into focus on the tasks at hand. You can work around that, such as buying magical keys to open locked doors instead of using a Theif to pick the locks, but in such cases it will cost you money.

Barely it gets 4 stars overall, being hurt by the game's small fun factor.
on January 24, 2007
I've played this game in English and in the original Japanese (even though I don't speak or understand Japanese). I absolutely love it. It has the feel of an old-school Final Fantasy game but with amazing graphics that would impress anyone. I will admit that I had more fun playing it in Japanese than in English because I didn't understand most of what was going on and every new item, weapon, spell, etc. was an adventure as I tried to figure out what it did. =)

If you are a "new" Final Fantasy fan, you may be a bit put-off by the amount of time you need to spend to really make your characters amazing. You may also be a bit frustrated with the segmented and predictable plot. Modern Final Fantasy fans (who started playing the games at or after 7) are just too used to the complex and multi-layered plotlines of the modern games. However, those of us who have been dedicated since the Nintendo console games will love the timeless crystal story, the linear plot, and the job system that makes the game wholly customizable. If you were a fan of Final Fantasy 5, you will definitely love this game. The jobs are different and the gameplay is a bit more simplistic, but you'll see a lot of the things you loved about 5 in this game- with better graphics and the ability to travel diagonally.

If you're a casual RPG player, you also may not appreciate Final Fantasy 3 as much as a die-hard enthusiast of the series. While the graphics are cute, the game doesn't have the finesse of most modern RPGs. There are lots of hidden treasures, random encounters galore, and a noticeable lack of many side-quests that modern RPG players enjoy. However, this is a great remake of a classic RPG and those who can appreciate that will enjoy it immensely.

One of the fun, minor aspects of this game is Mognet. In each town, you can talk to a Moogle who will connect you to the Nintendo Wi-Fi network. From there, you can write little messages to other friends who have the game. Part of this fun of this game, for me at least, has been finding and making friends with other FF3 players. As a side note, we had no problems setting it up with our existing home wireless network. I simply configured the settings on my DS lite and can access it no matter where in the house I'm playing. The little notes from other players really add another level of enjoyment.

To put it bluntly, you simply cannot pass on this game if you are a true, hardcore Final Fantasy fan. It's a canon, mainline game and very well done. In my opinion, it is even worth getting a DS just for this game.
on August 24, 2017
I'm a huge Final Fantasy and rpg fan.
Never played this before.
Just started and it looks great.
Looking forward to alot of fun and grinding.
Should keep me busy.
on July 6, 2017
this game is fun. simply, classic, and addictive. Let me put it this way...its like reading a book but only you play it. Keeps me wanting to read more ! lol.
on October 16, 2016
Just started after completing Bravely Default. Graphics sux; once you die, you start over again. Also, the supported Wi-Fi connection does not support modern protocols.

Still, it is an older game and decent for its play value. I'll update again after I've completed the game.
on March 26, 2013
I must admit, I ordered this product thinking it would be the game I grew up with and loved. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the FF3 game I used to play is now called Final Fantasy 6. I urge people to make sure they are ordering the correct version (this one has four characters, the main one being Luneth, rather than Terra and Locke and the gang). It is a very fun game, though. As with all Final Fantasy games, it is somewhat difficult to figure out exactly what is happening without using the internet to find out what your next move is. Over all, fun game, good graphics, interesting plot.
on January 9, 2007
Final Fantasy III is a very enjoyable game. I really enjoyed very much the number of jobs the game offered. I found it to be very very fun switching around the jobs and leveling up my characters and their job levels. The graphics I must say are very very nice. I found them to be quite pleasing. The music is also fantastic. Loved the music. Oh and i must add that the opening cinema at the title screen is wonderful...i oohed and aahed at it.

The game is also difficult at parts. There are certain places in the game where you should just level up by beating random monsters for a while before facing some bosses. And another difficult aspect is that there is only a finite number of phoenix downs (items that revive your character)...you CANNOT buy them at stores. But there are revive springs in a number of towns that revive your fallen characters for FREE ^_^!!

So yah...difficult game especially at the end!...but loved it very much!!
on September 7, 2016
The game was amazing. I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy, but this game has wonderful graphics, easy controls, puzzles, and a new format for the Final Fantasy franchise.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.