Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 18, 2016
It is quite different than the original Final Fantasy Tactics, which I've been a fan of since it appeared on the original Playstation. I still find it to be quite enjoyable though, and very addictive. The storyline is much simpler, as it seems to be aimed toward a younger demographic. That doesn't mean that the strategy is less complex though. I have always felt that turn-based strategy like this is best suited to handheld consoles, and this game is no exception. it's a great game to pick up and play through a battle, even if you don't have a lot of time. Quick Saves make this even better. There are a lot of abilities to learn and classes to unlock, so it has a lot to offer for those who are completionists. I hope that they will make more games in this series in the future, most likely on the 3ds.

As a note, this game plays just fine on my New 3DS XL. You have to go back to the main menu to change brightness, which is an annoyance, but is true of all original DS games when played on the 3DS. If you are thinking you may want this game in the future, you may want to pick it up before it becomes harder to find (something that is becoming common with many RPGs and strategy games for the original DS.)
on November 15, 2013
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the Final Fantasy Tactics series installments on handhelds, A2 satisfied that craving for turn-based strategy incredibly well on the DS. In comparison to previous installments, the game feels much more accessible to casual gamers (those who might pick up and play on occasion) but absolutely holds enough deep content to reward those who have played FFT before who may really want to invest their time finding every side mission and secret weapon.

The premise of the game is much more on the light side and feels something akin to a children's book at the start. But DO NOT let that stop you from trying out the game!! The story inevitably comes into its own and becomes more rewarding the further in you get. The battle system alone sets the game apart from most RPG's as well as how much fun the job system adds to fully customizing your crew of mages, soldiers, and archers (amongst many many other flavors of warriors). This game is great for long road trips or as a gift for the more meticulous and strategic minded gamer. I highly recommend giving this one a try.
on December 8, 2009
I won't get into a long, comprehensive review on Amazon. People are paid to do that at places like Gamespot and IGN, among others. Moreover, I am only hours into the game. But I will comment briefly on my experience so far.

I'm a long-time Role-playing game (RPG) fan, and the original Final Fantasy Tactics for Ps1 sparked my specific interest in Strategic RPGs. Unfortunately, this seems like a niche market. where choices and variety are few. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was an exceptional strategy game for Gamecube. However, other Atlus-style strategy RPGs served only to disappoint me.

I'm only 8 hours into this game, but I am happy to say that Final Fantasy Tactics A2 seems to capture the essence of the original Final Fantasy Tactics, at least from a game-play perspective. The presentation and story both seem slightly more juvenile and cartoon-like than the original Tactics, but are probably consistent with the "Advanced" series. Besides, not every story needs to be as dark and foreboding as the Ps1 Final Fantasy Tactics. This seems to be a light-hearted romp, so just prepare yourself for that before buying.

I give this 4 stars because it doesn't strike me as an epic and ingratiating story, and while the game is engrossing, it isn't quite sucking me in as other games do - particularly excellent strategic RPGs. In summary, this would be an entertaining gift for a teen who likes trying RPGs, most Final Fantasy fans, or any micro-manager who owns a DS.
on November 4, 2016
Love the tactics style games. Wish this one was more like the first one in tone (this has a more 'kid' feel to it, like the one for the GB advance) but if you want jobs, items, classes, strategy RPG moving your guys around on a map and all that, this is what you want.
on June 8, 2013
One of the nicest things I have found about the game is the way it's easy to pick up and start playing, even after long breaks from the game. You can set it aside for several months and then pick it up again and be able to jump right back into playing- there's no figuring out where you left off in the story and where you need to go next. You just head on over to the nearest city pub, select a quest, and off you go!

The ability to save and quit during a battle is also a great feature, making those sudden interruptions that life will through at you much easier to deal with. And then when you turn the game back on, you get a quick refresher on what you're supposed to be doing in that battle (final goal, combat laws, automatic bonuses).

If there's a downside to the game it's the fact that things can get repetitive, especially over long sessions of game play. There's a few things that you can do besides the quests, such as a crafting system and trying to win all the surrounding regions at auction, but it's not enough to break up the cycle of accepting quests, deciding if you want to do them yourself or if you want to send someone else to do it, and then battling it out when the time comes.
on May 6, 2012
I have always been a fan of The Final Fantasy Tactics games.They have never dissapointed me especially now in a time of gaming where I find dissapointment is all too commonplace when one looks at RPG and Tactic type games.When I fought my first battle of Final Fantasy Tactics A2:Grimore of the Rift I was hooked and couldn't be happier about it. The story,characters and all the weapons and items you can equip and utilize are second to none.If you haven't played one of these games before you will be comfortable and able to use everything at your disposal before,during and after battles with the ability of a "Final Fantasy Veteran" before you have a dozen battles under your belt.To touch on the games replay value for me... I'll be happy to take it out,put it in my DSxl and play it again and again.In my opinion this is a very unique game that never seems to get old.
I've played a game in the easy mode and a game in the hard mode both to the final victorious battle I'm now playing it a third time in hard mode. I've fought and won the last battle and the game allows you to continue playing the same game after the last official battle. Slowly but surely I am acquiring items I still need to learn all the abilites required to "Master" a characters job.The characters you choose to keep and use in your quests can master anywhere from four to twelve jobs each. My goal is to have all 24 of my characters become masters of all the jobs they can perform.If that is your goal then expect it to take time.For me it is very enjoyabe time I consider well spent.Proof.This is my third time playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and as I write this review my DSxl tells me I have 591.32 hours invested in my third game.
One suggestion.Because there is so much packed into this game it might be a good idea to spend the money to get Brady Games Official Strategy Guide. I guarantee the information it has just might make you think about rating Final Fantasy Tactics A2:Grimore of the Rift an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale!
on September 30, 2008
- Better graphics (particularly dialogue pictures and spell effects)
- more jobs/weapons
- more challenging (fighting king blue for the first time will shock you)
- option to dispatch a person or go on quest yourself (for a lot of quests you use to could only dispatch someone in FFTA)
- dealing more damage from enemies behind/sides than from the front
- more play time (as if the one on the GBA didn't have enough)

- storyline is not even close to being as good as the original FFTA. You start with a little punk with no respect for people.
- I don't think judge system is as good (some of the laws are practically impossible to keep) in that the enemy does not have to worry about the laws. If the rules are not to use MP, your enemy can still dish out MP w/o any penalty. This is especially frustrating when fighting against other clans. I liked the old rigid law system better.
- There isn't as much penalty for hitting a person face to face. (The % chance of hitting them is the same as if you hit them in the back) I prefered a bigger punishment for hitting people face on. Expect a lot more spells to be successfully performed on you (doom, sleep, confuse, and my least favorite, charm)

Overall, I enjoyed the game, even though I liked FFTA for the GBA better. If you are as thorough as me, you will get 120+ hours out of this game.
on February 28, 2013
But I still really liked this game and pumped hundreds of hours into it. The mechanics are still there, even if the plot is less ambitious and kinda cartoony. It is still a good game to look at and play, and I had a lot of fun with it. The Judges really pissed me off, though. "No fire magic!" Okay, jerk. I'd be almost done with the map and forget someone had a fire sword equipped and have them attack someone else...d'oh.
on August 22, 2015
I was a big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics, but this game was not fun for me at all. The system have changed completely, and now you're just wandering around doing quests. I thought I Wouldn't mind this, until I realize that there is no excitement in just simply jumping from battle to battle if there's no purpose. It feels like an endless grind, which is why I stopped playing long before I finished the game.
on October 30, 2017
awesome game. after playing FFT, I wanted to continue the chess-like strategy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.