Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 285 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,403 reviews
on July 1, 2011
I am an avid video gamer, I've been playing video games since the early 80's. My love of RPGs came when the first Final Fantasy was released on the orignal nintendo system. Since then, I have been hooked to the series, buying consoles for the games (PSone/FF7, PS2/FF10, PS3/FF13), not the other way around. After saying that, my all time favorite would have to be FF8. The graphics are horrible in comparision to todays games, but the game play makes up for it. Most RPGs have at least 20-40hrs of playing time, but with the FF series, I'm surprised if I spend less than 200+ hrs. I have played through the entire game over three times over my lifetime, and for me, the most enjoyable part about this game would have to be the side quests and the addictive card game! I am the type of person that has to have 100% completion before I move on to the next game, and was devastated when my six year old broke disk 4 of this game, hence the reason why I bought yet another copy. I was tickled pink to find this game had become a classic, with a classic price! Would've paid more money for the game but was ecstatic to only pay $14 for it!!
on May 27, 2017
I enjoy this game a lot, but not as much as I like Final Fantasy 7. It has many very cool new features such as the the addictive card game and the ability to junction magic to stats. Although, the game would be better without a few of its features. One if them is that you have to stock magic and lose 1 quantity every time you use it. I thought the traditional MP system was much better. Also, the plot is good, but not perfect.
on May 20, 2017
The package came fine and all but the product had cracks on arrival. Just gonna blame shipping on this one because I found broken shards inside the package. It still runs fine but thanks to shipping tossing it over my gate and for not just leaving it on the porch or ringing the door bell, I now have a cracked but functional case.
on December 27, 2013
Yeah its in the future of the classic PS1 games with all the fuss about PS4 (possibly PS5) Xbox one ect ect. but when you come to the graphics and how the games for these new systems got theirs...what do you think about? For me growing up in the time of Final Fantasy was unreal. Being a girl, I tended to pay much more attention to Barbies then video games but as I came to realize my artistic ability I found this game and relived seeing Final Fantasy for the first time in 2013. Just got this game this year and have been enjoying the storyline to the fullest and loving every minute of the gameplay as this is the first FF game to introduce the junction system. A lot of people throw this game aside because it came after the great FFVII arc and people were expecting the game to be another of the sorts. But when things got changed up a little with the junction system added to the gameplay, people became frightened and angry. I don't think that this game should be forgotten in the shadow of the FFVII success (although I love FFVII dearly) You should give this a chance.
on September 5, 2010
Final Fantasy VIII is one of my favorities. It did take some getting used to the magic draw system but after I got the hang of it it became second nature to draw magic from enemies and fun. The draw back (no pun intended) was how time consuming it can be if you are wanting as much magic as possible. It became such a habit to draw magic that when I started another ff game I wanted to draw magic.

In this game you have no armour so Magic has to be conjunctioned and this is how you protect yourself from statis effects. The Gardian Force (espers) has to be conjunctioned as well to use magic in the first place which can be a pain to deal with especially when you don't use them much. But I like these especially diablo. Hated them in FFXII and didn't use them.

One of the cons in this game or it can be a pro, the fiends or enemies will level up with you, so in other words, as you get stronger so do they but as they level up so do their magic.

I love the characters in this game with Squall ( I always rename to riptide or forest ) being my favorite. One of the things I really like is the salary system. You get paid according to your testing level. You can increase it by taking a test about the game about questions such as what weapons they use or statis effects, but don't worry it is multiple choice. If you find this frustating, you can always cheat by going online for all the answers but if you like to challenge yourself you will not do this. Be warned though, your their salary can be reduced by your actions in battle. I don't really understand how this works because I never bothered finding out.

There are always things I really like and dislike about all the ff games. One of the things that irrated me was having to conjunction the commands I wanted to use such as Magic, Draw, Items, and GF (Gardian Force). You cannot use them all. You are allowed only four with Attack being automatic. I try to have one with Items and all with magic. I give magic to the one that couldn't draw. Sharing magic is one of the pros.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy VIII is one of the best ff games. It has a different feel than the previous ones. Instead of being Knights, Monks, and Mages they are Mercenaries that are hired to help others. Interesting and fun to play. I won't go into the story or such, you need to discover that for yourself.

I would encourage other Final Fantasy Fans to purchase this game if they haven't already.
on December 13, 2016
Love this game!! Unconventional for many of the earlier series Final Fantasy games, but still fun and inspired. Great graphics considering the gaming console generation it was made on. All in all a classic that will never die and keep giving.
on January 10, 2011
First off, let me say that this is my favorite final fantasy game, and i have played 3,6,7,8,10,10-2, and 12. The plot is intense and epic, requiring four disks to complete. took me over 60 hours to beat it, and I was nowhere near 100% game completion. The characters are interesting and multi-faceted. They change over the course of the game and you feel a genuine connection and understanding of their decisions and themselves. However, with modern graphics the throwback can be a bit startling and if you are an extremely graphical person, this might not be the game for you. The pre-rendered cutscenes and backgrounds are amazing though. Another thing that throws people off is the battle system and random battles. It's classic Final Fantasy, and you either love it or hate it. This brings back the active time battle of final fantasy 7, which can be annoying but also adds a ton to the game. All in all, it's the kind of game that you either love or hate. If you play games for plot, buy this immediately. If you play only for gameplay, then whether youll enjoy this game just depends on your preference of gaming. Also, despite the general consensus that FF7 was better, I have played both and personally prefer FF8 significantly.

Pros:
-epic plot, best i have ever encountered.
-in-depth, multi-faceted and engaging characters
-gorgeous pre-rendered cutscene and background graphics
-ridiculously long
-combination of love story and saving the world, a final fantasy masterpiece that has yet to be recreated. (kind of ff10, but not as much as ff8)
-classic final fantasy at its best.
-in my opinion, one of, if not the best video games of all time.

Cons:
-non pre-rendered graphics are grainy and substandard to modern graphics.
-random battles can be a problem
-active time battles can be frustrating
-final fantasy battle system isn't for everyone
-objectives can be very cryptic at times
on December 25, 2012
Goddamn I love this game. It's not even that good, but I'm so in love with it. Just let me say: Phenomenal soundtrack. This music is goddamn incredible. I bought the soundtrack separately because it's so good. Other than that, classic Final Fantasy with some new twists. Junction system is fun but can be boring if you're trying to beef up your characters. Monster-level scaling makes leveling up pointless, so you are forced into the boring draw system to get good junctions. Other than that, the gameplay is fun, the story is pretty good up until Disc 3. The story isn't so bad on Disc 3, but there is much less fighting and a lot of talking. And then Disc 4 s*** just goes haywire and nothing makes sense really and everything is cheesy and weird. Still super fun to play throughout and the music, like I said, is always incredible. Definitely worth a play if you are a Final Fantasy fan. I've played through the whole game upwards of 5 times and enjoyed it each time.
on August 22, 2013
This was the first RPG I ever played and ~10 years later, I'm still playing it over. It's fun and the bosses are challenging although the final bosses is pretty easy to kill. The last time I played, I made it a mission to beat Ultima Weapon as I consider that to be the equivalent of beating the game and then some. I think this game has the most realistic feel out of all the FF games I've played. Sure, there are monsters, a lady that looks like a witch, magic and other unrealistic things but the world it is set in seems very possible to me and I think that's what initially drew me in. Plus, I think the opening sequence was the best out of any FF to date.
on July 27, 2010
I really love this game! It's one of my favorite games of all time. It was the first RPG I ever played and loved every minute of it! Companies don't make games this good anymore.

This game features Squall , a lone wolf, that becomes a Seed from Balamb Garden (This garden educates people and trains them so that they can fight evil sorceresses.While the story progresses, Squall stops being a lone wolf,and eventually makes friends. When Squall , and two more Seeds, have their first mission,while being in the subway, they pass out and have this dream about the adventures of three soldiers Laguna , Kiros and Ward. As the game progressess, these three characters turn out that they do exist and that that they play a very important role in the game.

It also has two superbosses at the end of the game, Ultima and Omega weapon , the last one, being the most difficult monster in the whole game and it's optional to fight him. The best about this game , is that the ending is perfect.

Another great thing about this game is that that it has a lot of sidequests like in final fantasy X and x-2 so that makes it a very long game (mine in total has 93 hours of gameplay).

In conclusion, you should buy this game, I can assure you, that that you will not regret it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.