Customer Reviews: Finally: A Wish Novel (Willow Falls)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon

on March 6, 2010
I loved, loved this book. I have to start my review with this because the author has managed to perfectly capture the youth, innocence and expectation of what lies ahead in your life.

This book made me revisit my past and how much I, too, was so looking forward to being 12 FINALLY! I had a rough year the previous year, with the unexpected death of my dad, so somehow, getting to 12 was soooo important - things would be different.

The author created a main character that was a joy to read. She was so full of hope and expectations and I loved reading about every little thing (good and bad) that actually happened when she did turn 12.

Of course, things did not quite work out as she hoped - nothing really ever does - and that is okay, but through this storyline there are life lessons that are learned, yes, even at the tender age of 12.

This book is about accepting your life and living it to the fullest - not only when you are 12.
on May 2, 2010
Wendy Mass has done it again. My 11-year-old daughter has been a fan of her books for a while, and has "made" me read 3 of them. I'm so glad that I have.

This book (and the others) are the kind of books that give the reader (old readers like me) a walk down memory lane. Not only do I remember what it was like to be 12, but it helps me connect with my soon-to-be-twelve daughter.

Rory is finally turning 12, which means she will finally be able to do all those things that her overprotective parents have been promising her that she could do when she turned 12, including get a cell phone, shave her legs, stay home alone, get a pet and more. She knows -- she's been keeping track. The novel deals with her response to dealing with all of these new areas of responsibility and privilege. I'll give you a tip off to say that all of these things do not go off without a hitch.

Very clever and relatable.

NOTE FROM A PARENT: One thing I like about Mass' books (including this one) is that they are great books for kids ten and up who are looking to make that transition from "kids' books" to Young Adult fare. They deal with typical middle school issues, yet in a completely age-appropriate way -- either for those who are that age, or for those who will be soon.

Many of her books will appeal to boys and girls, but I think that this one is definitely targeted to girls.

The parents are also portrayed in a realistic way. For example, they are a little dorky and overprotective (through the eyes of their tween), but they are supportive and follow through with their promises.
on February 20, 2012
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're bored or looking for a book, this is the one to choose! It is about a girl named Rory who finally gets to wear makeup, get a phone, have her ears pierced, and all those other things that a teen girl gets to do. You SHOULD listen to my advice. If anyone gets bored in this book, it WILL get better, trust me. If anything won't get your attention, this for sure, WILL get your attention by 100%!
on March 8, 2011
I really enjoyed reading the book Finally, by Wendy Mass. This book is about a girl name Rory Swenson who couldn't wait to turn twelve. Rory really wanted to turn twelve, because when she was little her parents always said when she was twelve she could get everything that she asked for, from when she was little. For example when she was little she asked if she could get a cell phone and her mom always said when she was twelve. Also for example when she was also younger she wanted to always stay home by her self and her dad said " you can do it when you are twelve." Rory started writing all of her wishes down on a piece of paper. Rory couldn't wait to be twelve!

I enjoyed this book for many reasons. This book is silly, funny and just a fun book to read. You get to learn about Rory's life, and all of her adventures. When you get to read this book it feels like you are in the book with Rory. I really like the author of this book. She really gave details of all the characters, and was really good at making the story up. I also really liked the author a lot because in every chapter something new was coming. Because Rory's life is like a whole different chapter in the book. Because in life something new happens each day. Our lives are another chapter in the book. That's why I think that the author was so good about writing the book. I thought it was a really interesting story with Rory's ups and her downs in her life. Another reason why I really liked that book because it reminds me of when I get to turn twelve, and do all those things like her. Something that I really liked about Rory is that she never gave up. She remembered all her wishes that she had, and never forgot them. It would be pretty hard for me to remember all of those wishes from when I was younger.

I thought Finally was a great book. I would love to read more of Wendy Mass's books. I think Wendy Mass is a great author, and one of my favorite authors. I would rate this book four out of five stars. Or maybe four and a half stars out of five. I thought the book had a great plot. I just think that this book is a great all-around kind of book. It is a well-written story; great characters to it and is just an amazing book. I really enjoyed this book, and I hope that you guys should all read it!
on June 30, 2010
I am a 11 year-old girl who has read the book, Finally, and would like you to read it, too. I am very picky about the books I read, I usually only read three partcular series, but this book changed that. Now, I read mostly Wendy Mass! Some of my favorite authors have been Andrew Clements, Anne Mazer, and Jeff Kinney...oh, and I can't forget myself! This book captures the whole idea of wanting to grow up too fast, and how it may not always turn out like you think it should. I am a very stubborn person, and so is the main character in this book, Rory Swenson. Everytime she asked for something like a pet, or getting her ears pierced, or riding in the front seat of the car, her parents would always give the same response, "When you're twelve!" So she finally wrote down all the big and little things that her parents said she could do at the age of twelve! She is also a very caring person. She can analyze a situation and realize the true feelings of any person. In the end, Rory makes a very mature decision and finds her true self. You should really read this book. It will make you smile, gasp, etc. Well, I can't find anymore words to describe this book except for amazing, wonderful, delightful, extraordinary, and fantastic!
on April 21, 2016
Is it really 9 years old/4th grade kids appropriate book?

I glanced few pages and took the photo of the page where I landed and found such words are really disturbing for this young age kids. These are all too much distractions for them rather than helping them. From my point of view, as a parent of 9 years old, I want my kid at 9 should know what's appropriate for 9/10 years- no need to fast forward them to teenager years (let it go naturally) and they spoil their academic life by making them to dream on boys, flirting, no parents at home during boy-girl party etc, etc - -these kinds of books encourages them to dream on things which they are too young. I know my kid is a very responsible kid at school- but I don't like to take that very lightly too as kids reading books with these words at this tender age makes me nervous.
review image review image
on April 17, 2015
I really love Wendy Mass's books. I have read almost all of them, and so far they do not disappoint!! I've actually read this book before, and I still love it! The Willow Falls books are my favorite books.... I've read them all and I can't wait for the next one. I'm twelve, but I read this book before when I was 11, so I'd recommend it to girls around 10-12 or so. You really should read these books, they're awesome!
on May 18, 2010
Do you remember when your parents used to tell you "wait until you're 12" or "wait until you're 16"? You were, no doubt, just like Rory Swenson and created a list of things you would "someday" be able to do or have. FINALLY, that day has arrived for Rory.

Being 12 means being on the edge of her teen years. Rory can hardly sleep the night before. She's thinking of her list - getting a cell phone, getting her ears pierced, getting a pet, and getting to go to her first boy/girl party. Those are just a few of the things she is excited about finally being about to do.

Let's take the cell phone. She can't believe it's true when she finds the box that looks like it's her dream come true. Imagine her disappointment when she opens it to find a cell phone, but not the one she's dreamed of. Instead, this is an ugly thing with two buttons. Count them! Just two buttons! One to call home and the other to call 911. WT*! Leave it to her parents to give her the second present, which is a box filled with cell phone brochures and calling plans. They confess that the two button phone is some sort of sick joke, and then tell her since the phone will be her responsibility, she must investigate all the choices and make a presentation about which are the best - and then they'll make the purchase.

Next, imagine Rory getting her cell phone and managing to lose it in 15 minutes before they've even left the mall where it was purchased. Yep, that's how being 12 begins for Rory.

FINALLY is one girl's experience as she reaches the magical age where everything seems possible. Whatever can go wrong, does. There are incidents involving leg shaving, make-up, being home alone, and contact lenses, just to name a few. Author Wendy Mass captures the frustration of pre-teens as they reach the magical time that allows them to begin experiencing tidbits from the grown-up world. FINALLY will have readers laughing, nodding in agreement, and sighing in sympathy as they follow Rory's tale of reaching 12.

Reviewed by: Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky"
on November 24, 2012
12 Finally by Wendy Mass was such a good book! It was about a girl who Finally turns 12 years old and she makes a list of things that she wants to do now that she's 12. When she does the things on her list, she ends up getting something ruined. Either on her or what she's about to do. What I liked about this book was that Rory (the main character) does different things in her life to make her seem different than others. I think that this product would be great to be sold to people who enjoy books that complete themselves.
on August 16, 2014
i got the first book of this series for my daughter at her book fair. she read it in less than a week and begged me for the rest of the series. this a great series of books that keeps u reading. u hav to read them in order though unless yuo'll get confused.