Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on January 11, 2017
I have always had trouble with procrastination. I finally realized that I have many anxieties which are linked to my trouble with focus and attention. However, I always incredibly hard on myself for it. I had never realized there are behavioral methods that actually work to help us stay in our focus zone. I have been one to quickly jump into the use of medications to help, but after reading this book I was able to cut way back on stimulants and implement better methods with better results. The breathing and self talk are very helpful when I catch myself getting negative or anxious, especially the mantra "Progress not perfection."
It also helps to read stories of people of various backgrounds who also struggle with focus and attention. I found I connected with a number of cases mentioned in the book.
on February 22, 2014
If you or someone close to you have/has ADHD, I would recommended starting with Chapter 12 and then going back to page 1. Chapter 12 gave me a new perspective on the gift/value of ADHD. The rest of the book gave very specific things to notice about your self...how you start feeling when your brain chemistry is taking you out of your focus zone...or how certain kinds of thoughts can knock your brain chemistry off track...and how to substitute different thoughts or questions to get back into your focus zone. A lot of it is based on sports psychology and that in itself was exciting to me, who doesn't want to be excellent like an athlete and relax under pressure and all that...? This information was so much more helpful to me than going to typical coaching where the guy was trying to spoon feed me one tired old executive function/time management technique each week with no explanation of how these things I have known for decades would actually become useful to me instead of just piling on extra tasks to manage (he has no idea what it's like to live in the ADHD zone, but Palladino tells exactly how to clear the "gap" between this natural trait and modern school/office life.).
on November 12, 2015
I won't write much, because if you're reading this, you probably have ADHD. So let me bullet point this for you:

- Best book I've read on ADHD
- If ADHD had an owner's manual, it would be this book
- Actionable insights that are actually helpful
- One of the few ADHD authors who actually writes for people with ADHD
- Easy to understand, broken down into digestible sections
on January 26, 2013
It's impossible give only 5 stars to this book. I gave 5 stars to other very good books and now, after read and study this one (learning is my Phd field), I see that would be unfair give the same. I need more stars !!!!!!!!!!!

The author is not only a researcher but an excellent writer. The book is a page turner. Presents the content in the most professional way and with the hint of wisdom that only the masters of a theme can add.
on June 19, 2016
Purchased as a gift to one of my ROTC Cadets to begin their professional library. As part of a class assignment I asked each cadet what book would they no-kidding read, military or not, related to their academic major or not. After I compiled the list of books for the class I went online and ordered all the books from Amazon. I placed them at their seats prior to class and allowed them to enter the room w/o me being present for the first five minutes. It was, and still is, one of the good teaching moments of our time together. Thanks for helping me fulfill a need in their soon-to-be military career.
on September 24, 2015
The tips and information is highly useful. However the book predates smartphones,e-readers, and tablets. It would be interesting to get author's perspective on these things and more.
on December 7, 2013
I'll echo the comments of the previous reviewers! I've been involved recently in several creative endeavors that do not overlap. While my enthusiasm has been high, I've had difficulty staying calm, focused and disciplined in execution. This book has helped me become more of all three. As a result, I'm more productive and because I'm more productive, I have more energy. I have no doubt that I'll be returning to the pages I've marked-up as reminders and guides. This has a permanent place in my library!
on August 22, 2015
This book has practical easy to do exercises to help you maintain focus. I wish I had this in college with all those boring lectures.
on June 14, 2016
This book has effective guidance on resetting your focus. I have already incorporated a number of exercises in my daily routine, and they've been helping! It feels so good not to have the issues of every day life overwhelm my desire to get things done. This book has been a huge help.
on June 21, 2014
I always thought that an overstimulated state of mind was the best way to be effective and stay focused, to be in "the zone"... now I understand why it never worked as I expected.

This book is easy to read, I love the examples and the explanations, it's very clear.

I wasn't expecting to read about awareness, presence and relaxation in this book, a very pleasant surprise!!