Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on July 4, 2016
This became one of my favorite books when I was just a quarter of the way through; it's amazing. I grew up loving both Jesus and Star Wars and I never thought there could be such a fantastic combination of two things that I love so much. The author's passion for both of them is so evident and he conveys it so incredibly eloquently. He goes so much deeper than I would have thought possible. I thought this would be a Christian book about Star Wars, but it goes way beyond that. This is forefront a book about a relationship with God; Timothy Paul Jones discusses really deep topics and uses Star Wars to bring more clarity and emotion into them. You don't have to love Star Wars to get a lot out of this book (honestly, though, how can you not love Star Wars XP); I highly, HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.
on December 15, 2015
Weaves orthodox Christian theology and deep truth in and out of the Star Wars universe effortlessly. Thought provoking, imaginative and evangelistic.
on June 7, 2016
We used this book as a book study in our Sunday Bible class. An added lesson plan would guarantee a five star rating.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 21, 2017
Star wars, it is true, has a great deal of spirituality in the jedi and sith philosophies. That spirituality is based on Buddhism (and many books have been written on this subject), so I was curious to see what he was going to tease out of it from a Christian perspective. The author's success is, I think, hit and miss. I think he at times tortures the scriptures a little, as well as the movies, in an attempt to force a round peg into a square hole. At other times I think he makes a good point. I did not care the devotional aspect of the book, and would have preferred something more cerebral. As it is, the book is rather light.

The thing I most enjoyed in the book is the very beginning, where he talks about his experience as a kid watching Star Wars for the first time at a drive-in. I was 8 when, in 1977, this amazing film called Star Wars hit the theaters, and we all went to watch it. It was an astonishing film, awe inspiring, as the author notes; and awe is his central theme throughout: awe of God, of His creation, and how we should live in awe all the time, which I think is a bit unrealistic, but I understand his point.

At any rate, it's an easy read. The author provides some excellent summaries of the Star Wars films at the back of the book for those of you who are not up to speed on Star Wars (GASP, people like that exist?!?!), and he has plenty of quotes from the films throughout the book, as well as quotes from the Scriptures, unfortunately from inferior texts such as The Living Word instead of actual translations. Recommended for some nostalgia of the films and a somewhat interesting perspective on the films from a fellow Christian.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 30, 2011
I'm a big Star Wars fan who's been searching for a ways to tap back into my religious side and found this book very entertaining, spiritually uplifting, and engaging. I wish I knew more of the scripture references but not knowing didn't really bother me. The points were very well made and the religious parallels were interesting.

My ONLY problem with the book isn't an issue with the content but simply that the Kindle version I downloaded to my iPad is full of typos which I found distracting. It's not just one or two, but dozens of them, maybe over 100. It made it feel like the Kindle adaptation was rushed which is a shame.

But typos aside, great book.
on April 21, 2013
As a christian and Star Wars fan, this was a great read. I read it at about age 16 and it was great - the story is neat and funny and the book is an easy read.
on January 3, 2006
In Finding God in a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Timothy Paul Jones--a long time, avid fan of Star Wars--displays amazing insight into the world of the Star Wars characters and a deep admiration for this extremely influential saga. However, he does so without losing his personal Christian worldview. He is able to blend the two by comparing, matching, and sometimes contrasting specific quotations from the movies with direct quotes from numerous Christian apologists and scholars throughout the ages. Among others, he takes lines from G. K. Chesterton, author of Orthodoxy, from C.S. Lewis, author of Mere Christianity and The Chronicles of Narnia, from J.R.R. Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings, and from John Chrysostom, a fourth century Christian theologian. Jones points out that the same awe that is a fundamental element of the Star Wars films can also be found in the miraculous elements of the Christian faith.

Like the initial Star Wars trilogy, Jones divides his book into three sections. He begins by examining the introspective awe of life, the universe, of the variations in creation, and of the constant struggle of good versus evil as depicted in Star Wars and in Christianity. He expands this eventually to include the awe of probing, reflecting on, and trying to define the great unknown, both metaphorically as "space" and religiously as "God." Secondly, he provides plot summaries and an appendix of references for anyone who has not seen all of the Star Wars movies or who may have forgotten key aspects of each movie--since the films were released as episodes 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, and 3, out of sequence. Thirdly, he includes a study guide so fans of the movies or groups of Christians can use the book in a discussion group.

Most likely, this book will appeal to young people or to science fiction fans in general. To that end, however, it could be a clever witnessing tool for reaching a generation that never tires of talking about the adventures of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Han Solo. -- Mike Hentz, Christian Book Previews.com
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
In Finding God in a Galaxy Far Far Away, Timothy Paul Jones writes with the heart of a poet and the mind of a theologian. His exploration into the universe of Star Wars actually led me to a deeper understanding of the awe of God that runs through all of life. When Timothy wrote "I was made with a longing for awe..." I got shivers. The great fun of this book is the way the author highlights the nostalgia we all feel for the Star Wars movies and then uses those warm feelings to introduce us to deep, intimate truths about God. Since you can "look inside this book" on your own, I won't bother repeating the table of contents to you. But I will say this is one I can easily recommend.
on May 19, 2006
I have not honestly ever considered how Star Wars and my own spiritual path could ever be related. But in this novel, Jones helps me realize how the Star Wars saga helped to foster my spirituality at a young age and helped me gain a better appreciation of my own faith. This novel was a wonderful, serious, and interesting read. I highly recommend it to those who seek something more out of their Star Wars movie experience and would like to deepen their faith.
on July 14, 2006
My only problem (and this is a PERSONAL problem, let me be clear) is that there are too many comparisons with the bible, which to me is just, basically, a fictional anthology. There were some good points brought up in the book, along with some good quotes.