Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 237 reviews
on April 9, 2017
I have often wondered about the lives of those who made their way to Oregon and Washington on Oregon Trail
What kind of lives did they leave behind and how did women and children make the long walk? Having been in many of these areas by car and then getting out to walk in the ruts that remain even now I am full of admiration. This story gives you glimpses of what the trip must have been like. The characters are believable and appealing except for her foolish immature husband! I will definitely read book two!
on August 6, 2017
Let me start by saying that I just finished the entire series in one week. Yes, there are several editing errors but mostly in the first book. The story is great and the characters are wonderful. The characters in the first book are just as significant in each subsequent book. It's not like most series where the characters are left behind as the next book starts. I highly recommend this book and the entire series.
on August 13, 2017
After reading some of the reviews I expected to be thrown off but it was quite the opposite. Yes there were some minor mistakes but on a whole this was a great story. I found myself thinking of the story even when I wasn't reading it. I just wish Leah would have explained a bit more why the dad didn't have a better handle on Andrew. He definitely would not have trusted him with his daughter.
on June 24, 2016
I fully expected to have problems keeping involved in the story after reading the reviews of some about all the needed editing. Well that didn't happen, sure there were a few mistakes but not nearly what was implied. Maybe if you are an English lit instructor. This was a good story of the trials of traveling the Oregon trail and that of a young woman pushed into a loveliness marriage to make the trip, then finding true love. I enjoyed it. No vulgar language or explicit sex.
on December 30, 2012
This book really had possibilities, but the grammar mistakes and sudden shifts in point of view made it difficult to really enjoy. It is written in a jerky manner, with short and sometimes incomplete sentences. A good editor could really improve the overall tone of the book. The author needs to learn how to pick a point of view and stick with it. I lost count of the number of times the story was being told from Corrine's mind, and suddenly a third person POV was being used. I sort of expected another character to be introduced who was actually the one narrating the story.
44 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2017
I really enjoyed reading this historical romance novel about a young woman's path through hardship to being a much admired woman! The depth of her character easily comes through the pages to the point that I read late into the night wanting to know what would happen next even though I had to work today. I highly recommend this book!
on December 11, 2012
The story line of this book was very interesting. I find, however, that I am totally distracted when the verb tense changes from past to present--oftentimes in the same sentence! The editing in the book was simply atrocious. For example:
"Lucas Grant smiled at her while also half-heartedly looked away." (Perhaps looking instead)
"His letter said he wanted to meet her in Oregon but would the disappointment still linger between us?" (Them, not us, would be the proper word).
These are just two minor examples of the editing in the book. Surely an author who takes the time to write an excellent story (this was a very good book) should take the time to ensure that it is properly edited.
on January 22, 2013
I don't like giving really critical reviews but I have to second what two other reviewers said. Switching from past to present tense and first to third person mid-stream was extremely frustrating. Choppy, incomplete sentences made me want to stop reading numerous times but I kept reading to see who was actually telling the story. The trials and tribulations of moving west didn't feel realistic but more of an after thought.

There are so many really good books about romance on the Oregon Trail I can't recommend this one.
on May 23, 2017
This book was thoroughly enjoyable. Plot kept me interested enough to read it in one sitting and I look forward to reading others in this series. Also appreciated a book with no overdrawn love scenes. Romance was there but do we really need to read the mechanics of 2 or 3 or 4 sex scenes in every romance novel. That alone - no love scenes - makes this a refreshing read!
on March 13, 2016
Half way through the story the wagon train was at Independence Rock, the half way mark on the Oregon Trail.
The story was interesting enough to me to ignore the poor editing.
I had family that came across the country by wagon train, so I enjoyed following the stops along the way. Most interactions with the natives were amiable, but some tribes were quick to take advantage.
I know that today by car the trip from Oregon City to the coast is a few hours, so am sure that a ferry ride to the ocean was more than one day out and one day back. If such a thing was available in 1848? Even 100 years later it was a long day to motor to the coast and back.
I also know of families who had ancestors walk the distance as children and complained about it the remainder of their lives. Interesting story and it sent me to Wikipedia often enough to be a success on research. I will eventually read more by this author.