Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

Finding Hope in the Midst of Tragedy
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on August 20, 2012
Book Review of Shelley Hitz's Finding Hope in the Midst of Tragedy
by Julie Saffrin

When life upends, and unfairly so, what do you do?

Shelley Hitz's memoir-self-help book, Hope in the Midst of Tragedy will help you journey through the disorder, unknowns and not-in-control feelings that come. You'll find a friend in these pages as you live and experience Hitz's account of learning to cope with the unexpected. Hitz's father went into a coma and came out with traumatic brain injury (TBI) after being assaulted in 2009.

Your circumstances may be different, but we are creatures of emotions and where there's hurt, there's most likely anguish. Hitz describes her feelings this way: "My emotions have been up and down today, ranging from sadness to grief to guilt to anger to fear," she writes. "They say this is normal to have a flood of conflicting emotions in this part of the crisis response called "recoil." Normal or not, it's not very fun!"

Recoil. Curling inward, lashing out. What a great word to describe the springing of our emotions. Ordinary reactions to disturbance.

But Hitz doesn't leave herself or us there. Nor does she give us, as Simon and Garfunkel sang, "false hope." She gives us "hope," an action word. If you like picture words, envision, as some ancients did, its definition, "leaping with expectation."

These leaps are sometimes barely visible to the eye, yet, how isn't this how much of change happens - in small increments? Hitz's "hope" comes from signs from above and everyday life, in the beautiful and sometimes simple ways such as her father's squint of trying to understand what's being said to him as he comes out of coma. In this moment, any movement at all brought hope.

Where Hitz could have chosen to live in anger toward someone who hurt her father, where she could have blamed God for allowing this awful circumstance to happen, Hitz instead, chose to embrace loving God through some hard, dark days.

Her books reads in diary form so we experience her inches gained, some miles lost, with her. Because of this, we experience her emotional range too. We applause in the minor and major milestones too.

Her Scripture choices were so comforting. Take the time to look at the ones Hitz does not write out in her book. They are true sources to heal a heart.

The From My Heart to Yours sections are designed for you to apply to your circumstances. I love that she gives her readers a way to ponder and express themselves too.

The beauty of Hitz's writing is, she gets to the heart of what she's feeling but then uses Scripture to help her journey toward healing. And just as it takes time for her father to restart his life, so too, does this give Hitz permission to allow God to gently teach her. And we, in turn, are given this chance as well.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who yearns to find comfort while going through life's unexpected detours. You will feel refreshed and hope-filled as you know you are not alone in your journey. Hitz has gone before you and she offers you the joy she has found in the process. This is a book that is heartfelt, yet so inspiring.
on August 5, 2012
This book chronicles the journey that Shelley and her family took after her father, Chuck, was assaulted and suffered a traumatic brain injury. There is the initial fear and despair that he might not awaken from his coma. And then there is the amazing coming together of her family and a rehab team to help Chuck regain all of the skills he had lost. Each section has some wonderful reflections, biblical verses and observations. What I found so moving was that Chuck and Shelley lived their faith and in the end forgave Michael, the man who committed the assault. So this is a book of faith, reflections, forgiveness and hope. My favorite line was this - Bitterness is like taking poison and expecting it to kill someone else. That's true of anger, jealousy and so many other negative emotions.

I would highly highly recommend this book. It's not only a good read but it's extremely inspirational. Go Chuck!
on August 8, 2012
Too often and very easily pain turns into bitterness. Bitter or better has only one letter difference, the letter i. How I handle the pain, anger, or hurt makes all the difference between bitter and better. (feel free to use my quote) Shelly and her family have proven the difference. If you are struggling, use this as a reference to see how true Christian wisdom ought to be applied.
Never forget....He sees in you the very Best!
Victor Brodt
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 5, 2012
Hope can be described as holding on unto the pain ends. Shelly Hitz conveys her personal journey to finding hope after a tragedy hits her family.

Her story chronicles a walk through the path of forgiveness and choosing to trust God with the pain, the hurt, and the unknowns of a personal tragedy.

Ms. Hitz's dad was assaulted and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for weeks. It was the most horrible of all bad news as the doctors were afraid he might not ever wake up!

She begins her story stating that all have experienced a tragedy or heartbreak that changed or altered our lives. She asks the reader to reproduce the personal incident in our minds as we read her story. We are also asked to reflect on the facts that we know to be true from God's word and then pray for God to help us understand what He is teaching through our tragic events.

We should endeavor to look and focus on the transformation of God's purpose. This is the most excellent God given way to look at misfortune.

Samantha Ryan Chandler
Christian Author
on April 23, 2014
There is was not anything that I had disliked at all! It was a very great inspiring help to know how to gain back anyone's faith and hope when tragedy
occurs as it did for Shelley and her family when her dad had been assaulted by a drunk man as she shares what they all went through and how they did
it with God's help and His word! I chose to give this book Five stars for all the statements that I have already mentioned above! I recommend this book for those who may be finding themselves in a rocky,perilous journey in their lives because of their situations of a serious injury etc. Or even one who wishes to be a little more I their faith for such a calamity to someone they know,etc. I received this book free in exchange for my doing review(s for those interested in growing spiritually ahead of any disasters of one
kind ! Great work Shelley! By Angela
on August 21, 2013
I haven't read this book in quite some time, but the author shares some of her glimpses of hope to keep those who are going through tragedy to keep that glimmer of hope as well. This can be inspirational and encouraging tool for those who are in a bad place and need a book to lift them up. It is also short read for those who don't really like to pick up a book to soothe their troubles.
on May 1, 2013
I read and re-read this book while going through my own tragedy. Although it was different than the author's, my tragedy brought with it the same feelings of bitterness, the "Why me?", the sadness, the despair, and the hopelessness. Her book really made me reconsider what I truly have in God. In following along in her tragedy, I was able to put my own thoughts and feelings down into my own journal. I really felt like she and I were going through our discouragements, etc. together. No matter what your personal story may be, this book will help you to decipher your feelings and get through the emotional turmoil. Take the time to answer the questions she poses and do the "homework". It may be difficult, but it will be worth it.
on January 2, 2017
Recommeded
on July 5, 2015
good read
on January 14, 2013
i gave it 4 stars for the writers ability to help you see what was going on as he wrote.