Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 428 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 571 reviews
on January 22, 2017
This book is an oldie but goodie, and I'm reviewing it because my one-year-old son loves it so much. He loves it so much, in fact, that he cries when he thinks that we have finished our readings. Yes, that's readings, plural, because we must always read this one more than once. "One thumb, one thumb, drumming on a drum," the text reads. The first few times, until eventually I am tempted to read "One head, one head, banging on a wall."

The entire book features monkeys, mainly drumming on drums, but also doing a few other things, with sing-song rhyming text. "Dum Ditty Dum Ditty Dum Dum Dum" is an oft-repeated refrain.

There is a board book version of this book and a regular version. The board book version is slightly shorter than the original version.

You might like: If you have a little one, he or she might be hypnotized by the sing-song rhymes, and want to hear this book over and over again. There is also some rudimentary counting, and your little one may learn a couple of words like "apple" and "plum."

You might not like: If you have something against monkeys, you might not like this book. In fact, the climax of this book features literally millions of monkeys, kind of like a joyful looking Planet of the Apes. Maybe that is why they look so happy: they finally exterminated all the humans. Also, if it bothers you that creatures which are actually apes are continuously referred to as monkeys, you might not like this book (it doesn't bother me all that much, but just throwing it out there).

I give this book one star, and my son gives it nine stars, so I will average them out and just give it five stars. How could I give something my son loves so much any less?
on August 29, 2016
I know many commenters don't like the abridged versions of Dr. Suess board books, but this book is super fun to read and my 16 month old loves it. It's a good length for this age, introduces him to the stories, and will allow me to bring in the fuller length books when he's older and has more of an attention span/won't rip the pages.
on April 7, 2017
We always give "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" to our friends who have recently had a new baby. The cadence is, from our experience, much appreciated by pre-readers and is a great book for them to learn to read. Al Perkins is a genius for writing this excellent attention-holder that parents will never tire of reading. From our kid's fascination with this they easily went on to more complex books. I recommend this for pre-readers (to be read to) and early readers without any reservations.
on March 9, 2017
She loves monkeys, apes and primates of all kinds, I ordered the hardback based on other reviews which stated the board book edition had been abridged. She loves the repetition of the text and is beginning to memorize it even after only a few readings. Toddlers love repetition and she is no exception.
on June 27, 2015
Be aware that the board book (and possibly others post 1980s) is missing two spreads- "Hello Jake, Hello Jack. Shake hands, shake hands, whack whack whack!" and "Goodbye Jack, Goodbye Jake. etc"

This was one of my favorite spreads because I say it all the time! I had to buy another version, pre 1980s.
on December 27, 2016
Pay attention the size of the book! It is very small!! Not what we were expecting.
on August 29, 2015
I just purchased the Kindle version last evening, and it has all of the pages. Apparently, complaints about the board book have been going on for some time! I see there are complaints about the missing pages from as recently as a few months ago, with the first complaint over 4 years ago. So why so long, Amazon? Regardless, I used to read this to my goddaughter and her brother when they were little- and it truly was the only book that I was happy to read over and over (and over and over). Now I'll have this for when they have kids!!
on April 24, 2017
We really like this book, but I was kind of disappointed when we got it. We had gotten it from the library originally, and liked it enough that I decided to get the board book for my one year old for Easter. Unfortunately, after getting it, I realized that the board book version is not the complete book. It leaves some pages out. It's still a really cute book, but I would have gotten the hardcover paper pages had I known that some of it was going to be left out.
on November 9, 2016
Please be aware that this is a tiny book - I didn't realize that. And it seems some of the story was left out in this mini version. It's just not the same cuddling on the couch with your little tike and trying to share the view of a book the size of a small sandwich.
on March 8, 2017
Our favorite book! I'm bummed the cut part of the original book out though. But I'm thrilled to find a copy of this story.