BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 21, 2015
If you called me a Kindle fanatic, you would be right. Over the past few years, I have owned several, as well as given a few more as gifts. Wherever I go, I have a Kindle with me so that if I have downtime or have to wait in line or at an appointment, I can be reading. Yes, I have owned and used a number of cases for a variety of Kindle models, some good and some not so good. My favorite case was a Cole Haan supple leather case for my first Kindle Keyboard that set me back well over $100. (I still love it today, although it does not fit any Kindle that I own today other than the non-working Keyboard Kindle it holds now.). The Fintie case is a very close second place.

The hard shell case has a very slim profile and feels very good in my hand, light, yet strong. It closes securely with an unseen magnetic catch and when opened, turns the Kindle on, a feature that I really like. The cover folds back, maintaining the thin profile, for comfortable one-handed reading. The case also has a nicely designed kickstand, a feature I do not use and which is unimportant to me. The very best feature is the stippled, non-slip exterior that provides a pleasant tactile experience while protecting my new Kindle Paperwhite, critical for a person having a propensity for falling asleep whle reading sitting up in a chair. Already my Fintie case has kept my Kindle damage free after having been dropped at least a half-dozen times on unforgiving ceramic tile floors. Interiors of both front and back covers are sueded and look and feel good, all the while protecting the screen and Kindle body. Design and appearance are very important to me. OK, I am a picky person, but I take very good care of the things that I own and they, in turn, last a long time. Lastly, the Fintie came in what turned out to be a wonderful rosy shade of red. Did I mention that all of my Kindle covers have been red so that I could easily locate my reader in the depths of my very large handbags?

The Fintie Kindle Case arrived in a timely fashion and was well-packaged. It was priced right, is slim, yet light and sturdy,
feels comfortable whether reading with one hand or two, is very well-made and good looking. It performs exactly as promised... even better than. I not only recommend it, I would buy this case again — maybe in another shade of red.

Update: my grand dog, a puppy still, gently took my Kindle off my lap when I had fallen asleep. Later, I found my Kindle with Fintie case on the floor in another room. Hina had done a number on it, chewing the cover of the case,
completely stripping the sueded lining from the inside front cover. Although I found bits of the red case but no lining, she must have swallowed it. The great news is that my Kindle suffered two tiny indentations on the upper left margin. The rest was still in perfect condition after what was at least an hour of teething by a five-month old black Lab puppy. The Fintie case is amazing. I have ordered another exactly like the first, in red. You meed this case if you want your Kindle to be bulletproof—or puppy proof. It is without a doubt the very best Kindle case I've owned. And I have owned many.
review image review image review image
1111 comments| 702 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2014
First, let me be clear I'm reviewing the smartshell case from Fintie. When I saw the number of negative reviews, I looked closer at those. It's obvious that being able to purchase different case models by clicking the appropriate model selection button, then buying that model, did one other thing. It dumped all the reviews for all those models into one review pool. So, if you start getting worried about the negatives, look at which model they're describing.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, the smartshell is a plastic shell case. If you've ever used a shell case for a smartphone, you've got a mental image of thin, smooth plastic covering the back and sides of the phone, there's not much protection, and the device sets into the shell. That fits how the paperwhite fits into this case. And that's where the comparison ends. This Fintie case is notably thicker plastic, so there's more protection. There's an attached front cover (also plastic) to protect the screen.

Front and back are textured which makes the case look nicer than you'd expect and gives a good grip. Fintie claims this is the thinnest and lightest case for the paperwhite. If that's stretching the point, it's close to right. I'm not noticing a difference in weight and what little additional depth it adds actually makes the Kindle easier to hold. The cover is held closed by a magnet that doubles as a means of putting the Kindle in sleep mode. Both work well. The front cover can be folded back for one handed holding. The magnet doesn't accidentally put the paperwhite in sleep mode when the cover is folded back for reading.

If, for some reason, you need or want to remove the Kindle from the case, starting from the tab where the magnet seems to be the best way to do it. The bottom button and charging port are exposed for access. At $11.99 US, it's only slightly higher than many other cases, three times cheaper than "official" cases, and light years ahead in style and protection. If I got a second paperwhite, I'd also get another Fintie smartshell.
44 comments| 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2015
I have to update my review. I originally gave it 5 stars when I first received it because it is a great looking case and very light weight. I use my kindle A LOT... everyday. I have not had any problems with the magnetic cover waking my kindle or putting it to sleep, as I have seen in a couple of other reviews. However, I have lowered my rating because the rubber gasket that hold the front leather of the cover to the interior material started to come off about 4 months ago (4 months after purchasing it) and it came completely off as of 2 month ago. Now, the interior material, which covers the magnetic material inside the kindle is peeling off. The spine has stress crack as well. I'm going to have to buy another cover. While I'd really like to buy another Fintie because of the look and light weight, I'm probably not going to because I don't want to spend another $20 and have the same thing to happen again; which is likely because the one I bought one for my husband is doing the same thing and he doesn't use his as often as I do. Find a new way to seal the edge of your cover Fintie... It's keeping your product from being top notch!
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 14, 2016
After 3 and a half years, my original Kindle case was falling apart. The rubber edge was falling off in pieces, you could scrape shavings off of it like butter with your nail. The little magnet piece had come out and could not be reattached, so the cover was not staying closed like before.

This case looks almost exactly the same, minus the little silver decorative element at the clasp ridge and some padding puff on the back, completely unnecessary in comparison. This gives it a noticeably thinner overall profile while appearing to offer the same level of protection.

The cool thing is that this case's back is hard plastic...no rubbery material to age and come apart...this thing looks tough as nails and yet rounded and pleasant to the touch. It holds just about exactly the same in your hand in all ways and costs $25 less than the official Paperwhite cover. Screen switch function works exactly right as well.

All in all, I wish I'd had this one all along: barely more than a third of the price, sleeker, tougher and feels/acts the same. A no-brainer.
on May 23, 2017
I've purchased from this listing several times for my Kindle Paperwhite and have always been mostly pleased with these covers. I feel like these cases are the best value among the Paperwhite case listings on Amazon. The designs are fun and unique, and they continue to add new designs to the listing so that when I go back to order a replacement, there are new designs to pick from. The Kindle Paperwhite fits snugly into the case; while it is easy to pop it in, it does not move around in the case at all, creating a secure fit. The auto-awake feature works perfectly, turning my Paperwhite on every time I open the cover. I've dropped my Paperwhite SEVERAL times in the years that I've owned it and never once have I broken my device, so either the Paperwhite is just that indestructible or the case provides a great amount of protection. There are only two downsides to these cases, both of which are minor. I've not used a single case for much more than a year; the spine of the case tends to wear out well before any other part of the case, becoming weak and cracked and the design fades away. Not a big issue, since I don't have a problem just replacing the case once a year at the price point these are offered at. The other issue is that it is difficult to remove the Paperwhite from the case; the advantage of having the Paperwhite fit snugly in the case is also a disadvantage when it comes time to switch the cases out. I'm always a little afraid I'm going to break my Paperwhite in half trying to tug it out of the case - obviously, I haven't so far, but I would caution being careful when removing your device from the case. Otherwise, I do really like these cases and will continue to purchase from this listing for my Kindle Paperwhite.
on May 6, 2017
The Fintie SmartShell Case for Kindle Paperwhite does an excellent job at protecting the Paperwhite while maintaining its slim profile. Never-the-less I think it could be redesigned to improve upon some of the defects inherent to the Paperwhite.

I find that the Kindle Paperwhite is most difficult to grip while reading. It has too narrow a rim by which to hold it. The Fintie Case is not at fault for this design yet it could be redesigned to make the Paperwhite easier to grip, perhaps by adding wings or a strap. I have devised an aid to hold it which is to slip an elastic band around the folded-back cover of the Fintie Case and use that to "strap" my hand to the kindle. This helps a bit but the elastic band does not do a perfect job and is soon uncomfortable too.

I believe that the difficulty gripping the Paperwhite could be ameliorated by a cleverly devised case. The Fintie case I purchased keeps the Paperwhite safe and keeps it thin but I believe it could be redesigned to make it easier to grip, perhaps by adding wings, and that if it opened on the top rather than on the side like a book, the cover could be used to support it on a table or perhaps on your stomach while you read in bed.
on September 8, 2017
The case is a perfect fit for the Kindle Paperwhite. The texture, resembling coarsely woven fabric, makes it easy to grip. The inside of the flap is covered with a suede-like material to protect the surface of the screen. The flap is fairly rigid, and should protect the screen from pressure when the Kindle is stuffed into luggage or a backpack. It folds completely around to the back to make the Kindle easy to hold while reading. The cover is a single piece-- it does not have hinged segments that can be rolled up to make a stand, but this is not a problem for the way I use the Kindle. In fact, I consider this to be a strength, making the cover more protective. Magnets hold the cover closed, and also turn the Kindle off and on as it is closed and opened. The cover adds little to the weight of the bare Kindle, so it is still easy to hold in one hand while reading. Some reviewers mentioned a bad smell, but my cover has no noticeable odor.

Something I would like is a small tab on the right side of the cover to make it easier to lift open. What looks like a tab in the photo actually mates to a slight bump in the case that holds the magnet that keeps it closed. This tab could be slightly extended above or below the bump to provide a place for a finger to lift the cover.

I had my previous Kindle Keyboard and Amazon case for seven years, and the case still looks almost new. But it cost $60! If I get at least a year's use out of this Fintie case, I will consider it worth the money.
on March 10, 2014
This is a nice little case. My kindle fits inside perfectly-- not loose at all, but not so snug that I'm afraid I'll have trouble removing it, either. It covers all corners and edges, with the exception of the bottom center where there's access for the power button and charger. Its very thin and lightweight, and the cover folds back nicely for one-handed reading. I haven't yet had any problems with the kindle shutting off when I do so like some reviewers have.

There are only two cons with this cover that are keeping me from giving it a full 5 stars. First of all, the cover doesn't fit completely 100% flat against the face of the kindle. The corners, especially, turn up just slightly. There's definitely room for something to jet jammed under the cover if you're not careful with it in your purse or backpack. I can easily see a pen, key, or other such nefarious device finding its way inside the cover and scratching up the kindle.

The other con is the spine of the case. The entire outside of the case is made of this cheap-feeling plastic-y material. On the front and back covers, it's reinforced, but the spine is just the plastic with the thin microfiber or whatever it is inside. After the first use, there were already little nicks in the plastic at the top and bottom edge of the spine, just from being opened and closed. It's not a problem yet, as they're very small, but I'm afraid with how they'll hold up over time. I've only had it for about 5 days now, so it's much too early to know.

I ordered the green one, and the color of the case I received is much more yellow than the stock photo. This doesn't bother me, but be aware, if you have your heart set on that bright grass-green color. Mine is about the color of the "yellow-green" Crayola colored pencil.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the case. I like the design and the color, and the price was great. (Even if it did jump up by a dollar in the 12 hours between when I decided it was the case I wanted and when I actually placed my order...) I'm a little concerned about the long-term durability of the case, and feel like I have to be careful when I bend the front cover back, but for now it's a great inexpensive way to protect my new kindle without adding much bulk.
on September 1, 2014
Amazon is really mucking things up by having reviews for what are essentially four different products in the same place. It confuses things.

I ordered the "Folio classic," having read in the product description that it's the "thinnest Paperwhite case available." On my previous Paperwhite (which I gave to my wife), I had the official Amazon case, so it was easy for me to compare them. Long story short: the Folio Classic is *considerably* thicker than the Amazon case -- at least two or three mm, which makes a big difference in how it feels in your hand. The official Amazon case is sooo slick and light and pleasing to feel. By comparison, the Folio Classic is big and chunky. It seems relatively high-quality, and everything works as promised, but I couldn't abide the thickness and weight, so I'm sending it back.

I'm going to try the "Smart Shell" version this time, which looks more like the Amazon case. I'll update this review when I get it.

UPDATE (9/6/14): I returned the Folio Classic and got the Smart Shell version. Now this is what I was looking for! It's more or less identical to the Amazon case -- the Kindle clicks into a plastic shell and sits flush; the cover is faux leather. Maybe a *bit* less spit polish than Amazon's, but remarkably close, and sturdy, and pleasing to hold, especially for half the price! Very happy with this purchase.
on March 2, 2016
The Fintie Kindle Paperwhite SmartShell Case fits my Paperwhite perfectly and is snug and secure. The case is slim and seems to provide good protection. The Kindle Paperwhite is so thin and lightweight that I worried a case would minimize that feature. No need to worry. The case is very light and I really don't notice the added weight. The case is textured to provide adequate grip. I particularly like the Wake on Open feature. The magnetic closure seems to work well. I often carry my Kindle in a backpack and have never found the case open in the bag.

So why just 4 stars? When the case arrived, there was a small abrasion on the front cover. I could see the metal shining through the black finish. I considered returning the case because I was concerned about the durability but decided to give it a shot. I used a black Sharpie to hide the abrasion and it is hardly noticeable. After more than a month of use and many days in my backpack, I haven't had any additional abrasion appear. So I guess the case is durable enough. But in the end, the case gets 4 stars.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.