Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 579 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 785 reviews
on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
55 comments| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2015
ive always hated s/RPG, thought it was boring but decided to get it because of the hype. I was giving RPG a second chance after final fantasy which did not hold my interest. Omgosh! Talk about being immersed into a game;I don't want to do anything else but play this game. I initially got it from Nintendo e-shop then knew i had to get a physical copy. The different characters are fun and the storyline line is interesting. I've pretty much cut off communication with my people since I got it lol. I even take this game to work to play on my breaks 😆!It's a great game for role playing game new comers like me. THIS IS THE BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED!! ...sigh, I've barely slept in days :(
on July 28, 2015
I'm a new player to the FE series, and I had no problem hopping into this. Pretty much immediately, I was hooked. The chess-like fighting is fun, and I adore the whole support/relationship system. The writing is excellent, with a lot of very funny and sweet parts in the dialogues. I'm completely hooked on this game and already plan to play it through more times once I'm done with what I quickly started thinking of as my practice game. Being new to it and learning the way the game works, I inadvertently missed out on not only conversations but whole characters because I didn't do things correctly or in the right order. But I don't mind because I look forward to playing it through again.

I'd say this game combines the puzzle-solving/strategy aspect and likable characters with good art of the more realistic-style Zelda games (my favorite game series) with the relationship-building and conversation aspect of Star Wars: The Old Republic (which is one of the few other games I like). I'm not a hard-core gamer. There are a handful of games that I really like and those tend to be enough for me. I've learned that I can tell very early into playing a game if it will be one of those or not. With this game, I could definitely tell right away that I loved this game, and I don't see that feeling going away any time soon.

BTW, I'm not what you'd call a very *good* gamer. I set this on casual, easy mode, pretty much as easy as I can make it, and that's challenging enough for me. If you're new to the series or not a hardcore gamer, I'd recommend doing the same.
on December 9, 2015
What makes this entry so great is every type of player can get into the series. It has a setup that is welcoming to new players to the series (who probably coming from smash) and can still be set for the returning fan base. The customization of your own character also really adds a layer of immersion and caring that some of the previous fire emblem could be lacking. You character is there on the field and the relationships have far more depth especially due to the children game play mechanic that really adds more to the game in some aspects.

This actually leads to my SINGLE and only complaint about this game. The children are amazing twist to the relations in the game, but they also kind of mess with the team combat a bit. The children take from the parents stats and skills and usually the classes available as well. Even without being a min maxer that means the kids will be a great deal stronger and replace their parents combat wise. Further all the real content is based more of their projected strength levels meaning at the end the original characters you start with and use feel under powered even though you had them on your whole journey which can be a bit depressing after all that work. Still a very minor gripe! Amazing game and experience for all Fire Emblem fans.
on August 28, 2014
Holy God, this is one of my favorite and most played games. Right behind Pokemon Y (and only because of breeding) this game clocks in at one of my favorites. If I had to go live in a cave for 5 years with only two games, FEA would undoubtedly be one of them.

To talk about the game, there are a crap ton of little improvements. But one of the things that really pops out at me (quite literally actually) are the gorgeous 3D sprites. I'd been waiting since Radiant Dawn to get another Fire Emblem console game, but this kind of takes away that need (although don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a console version on the Wii U) with the gorgeous graphics. The other main thing I'd like to point out in this, are the support conversations, they're absolutely hilarious. Sometimes I'll replay the game just to watch the support conversations again. While the plot is a bit dry (at least in comparison to Radiant Dawn, my favorite), the support conversations make up for it in a tremendous way. And on a similar note, the DLC is hilarious as well. While it is in no way mandatory to get the DLC to have a good time, it really adds to the post-game experience, and I would highly recommend it to people considering it.

One final thing I'd like to say, is that Spotpass is awesome. I love occasionally turning on my 3DS to find a new team on the map to fight, and recruit their leader (assuming I win). It's an awesome random element that was just added, and Intelligent Systems really deserves a thumbs up for it.

All in all, you should definitely get this game.
on March 9, 2016
This is a fantastic game. Being my first Fire Emblem game, I went into it kinda blind. Now that I finished it, I can confidently say I would recommend it to anyone.

Awakening is a tactical RPG, meaning you fight on a grid. Think chess, but way more complex and interesting than that. Units can be paired up to give bonuses on the battlefield, and doing so unlocks Support Conversations, enough of which can spark marriage between units. The game is broken up into chapters, each of which involves a battle, with the goal being to rout the enemy or defeat the opposing team's commander. Battles are somewhat similar to each other, but there is some variety in the terrain and enemies that keeps it fresh.

~~Pros~~
Deep strategy that really makes you think about every action
Fun dialogue between characters
Quite a bit of content - my first playthrough took over 30 hours, although I played pretty slowly

~~Cons~~
Somewhat convoluted story, which evens out by the end
During normal dialogue, rather than just text without any voice backing, characters will utter words or short grunts semi-related to their dialogue. Kind of odd - use voice acting or not at all, IMO! Full cutscenes have normal voice acting.

I plan on playing through again, and I think this game could appeal to just about anyone. I highly recommend it.
on February 26, 2017
This isn't a full review. Rather, it's a recommendation. Since the game's release till the end of 2016 I saw this game on the shelves of stores and even though I knew about its stellar reviews I never gave it a chance. The quadrants made me think this was a board game type of game and I'd never played a real strategy RPG before. I decided to give it a shot in 2017 and I'm loving it thus far. The writing is excellent and this is a game that offers plenty of challenge. If you die, it is either a strategic sacrifice, because you didn't think your moves or because you were just plain unlucky and your enemy landed a critical hit. This is a game for existentialists: you have control of all the moves and are responsible for all your actions. I love it and will be playing this for years to come.
on June 29, 2013
(Spoiler-free review)
I have just completed my first playthrough of this game, it took me around 20-30 hours to get to the end. This would have probably been shorter if I had skipped conversations and went straight through the story. Needless to say this game is very much worth the price for what you're getting.

I'm a Fire Emblem novice(Not a newcomer, but not exactly a veteran) so I understood the basic mechanics of the game. I've only played the 1st USA Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance. I liked it, but wasn't hooked enough to dive into any other games in the series. This game has brought me back into the series and now I will probably be purchasing future installments.

The game also features multiple difficulty choices. To start off, there is the choice between Casual and Classic mode; Casual mode eliminates perma-death from your troops while Classic retains it. What this means is that any character who dies in battle is actually dead. No revives, no second-chances; Unless of course you reset the game(Which means you lose all progress in a battle). This is a great addition for newcomers and FE Vets who just don't want to deal with perma-death. Either mode will offer the exact same gameplay other than what I just mentioned.

The other choices for actual difficulty is Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and the unlock-able Lunatic+. For my first time I went with Classic/Normal. I would recommend this to Newcomers who wish to test the perma-death mechanic out and Novice Fire Emblem players. However, this mode does seem to get easier towards the end when you learn the mechanics of the game. I had the most trouble out of the first 5 or so chapters. Classic/Hard is where you Fire Emblem veterans will probably want to start.

The story is enough to keep you wanting to know what happens next, but it isn't award-winning. However, the characters themselves have their own conversations and personalities through what is called Support Conversations. In a nutshell, the more a characters fights alongside another character, the better their relationship improves. This leads to some interesting dialogues between characters and stat bonuses when those characters are fighting together(Either side-by-side or when 'Paired-up' which means they fight as one unit). If these characters are compatible, they can also get married and have children who can later fight alongside you.

The game also does well at explaining the basics of how to play the game as long as you pay attention.

Pros/Cons (Not a completely detailed list, just what I can think of at the moment.)
+Good graphics, not amazing but they are good to look at
+Voice acting is well done
+Surprisingly good 3D effects
+World map: This makes the game feel a bit less linear
+Combat is interesting
+End-game content(Not much, but a good bit of free content. More DLC available at a small price.)
+/- Free downloadable characters from other FE games, it's a nice touch. However, the characters have no unique dialogue or supports
+/- Grinding: If you like grinding then you'll like this; if you don't like grinding, it is not necessary.

If you're a long-time Fire Emblem fan, SRPG lover, or newcomer looking to see what the hype is about; This is an excellent game to pick up.
on April 7, 2013
I don't have a lot to add that hasn't been said but I loved this game.

Pros:
* The characters are great and varied. This really exceeded my expectations since it's originally in Japanese.
* Combat and strategy aspects are fun and make you really think about how you have to tackle situations.
* You can turn off the combat animations but they're so fun to watch I find I don't want to.
* More forgiving difficulty options are a welcome addition to a series that has been relentlessly punishing.
* Choosing which relationships to develop is neat and rewarding.
* While not that surprising, the ending is satisfying.
* I'm looking forward to playing the game again on a higher difficulty. There's many character relationships I look forward to pursuing.

Cons:
* Because perma-death is optional you get the feeling while playing that the experience isn't tailored to it being optional. I ended up with way more characters.than I could put to use and there was no incentive to let my lower level characters grind up.
* Skill unlocks were opaque to me so I had difficulty planning my characters' progression.
* Climax kind of drags on as you're not sure whether the game will end in the next mission for the last 5 or so.
* Linking characters often keeps the secondary character from gaining levels. It'd be nice if the XP were shared more consistently.
on December 24, 2013
I got a 3DS for A Link Between Worlds, which finally broke my resolve and convinced me to upgrade from my DS Lite. However, I bought my 3DS when the game was announced because it was on sale, not when the game was released. Pokemon X was alright, but I've never been a huge fan of the series. This game, however, made a fire emblem fan.

It's a big step up from the older games from what I can understand, and as a newcomer I can say I absolutely love it. I've played through the main campaign multiple times now and appreciate that the DLC feels fair and the game itself is jam-packed with things to do.

Of course, those things wouldn't matter if they were boring, but they aren't. They're fantastic. If you enjoy strategy games, or heck, forging relationships between characters at your command, then this game is for you. Really, if you own a 3DS, this game is probably for you. It's friendly to those unfamiliar with the series but has a wonderful story that's all its own, fantastic mechanics, and lovable characters.

The 3D isn't really necessary but the 3D cut scenes are really cool and worth sliding up that little slider if you can, though they look fine in 2D too.

Really though, this game opened my eyes to potential awesomeness the 3DS can hold.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.