Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Format: Video Game|Change

on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
55 comments| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
This is just a great strategy game with a heavy story/RPG focus. You could sink hours into it. Not just to raise and build your army, but if you want like a little dating/breeding sim action, there is that too.The ability to set difficulty level is great. You could want a casual gameplay experience or get hard core action.

The only gripe I have is with the map/zooming - I prefer the older 2D styles that makes everything clear and neat to see. With this one, I have to constantly zoom out to see an overview of the battle field, and then zoom back in again. But once you are zoomed back in, there may be reinforcements and such and you would forget about them until enemy turn... Progress they call this.
on July 21, 2017
This a great intro into the Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS platform. Fire Emblem was very popular as a Turn Based strategy Role Playing game lon the Game Boy Advanced then later in the Nintendo DS system. This game keeps the same concept, but also adds better graphics and gameplay. The story is really great too. Long time fans who remember the original games on the Nintendo Game Boy Advance will like this game a lot.
on July 3, 2013
If you like RPG and strategy game then this is a must have item to your library. The gameplay is great and addictive, it forces you to think and strategize, it is quite easy to get into but it will take some understanding to master and build your ultimate party (customization through job abilities will provide more depth in building your ultimate characters). With its connectivity and the ability to buy add ons pack, you can stretch your play value, there is always something new week after week.

The story is good, not overly complex, with some time travel twist added to the plot. Be aware that this game is very addictive, you can spend hours playing it and not realizing time goes by. There is also an "easy mode" if you don't like the fact that one bad move can make you loose your team member forever. Greatly recommended for veteran FE fans and new casual players alike. If you don't mind purchasing add ons, there are plenty to download and to expand your game play.

This summer there is a promotion where you can get $30 credit when you buy both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami 4, assuming you register them both as Nintendo Club members. Get them while they last.
on June 29, 2013
(Spoiler-free review)
I have just completed my first playthrough of this game, it took me around 20-30 hours to get to the end. This would have probably been shorter if I had skipped conversations and went straight through the story. Needless to say this game is very much worth the price for what you're getting.

I'm a Fire Emblem novice(Not a newcomer, but not exactly a veteran) so I understood the basic mechanics of the game. I've only played the 1st USA Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance. I liked it, but wasn't hooked enough to dive into any other games in the series. This game has brought me back into the series and now I will probably be purchasing future installments.

The game also features multiple difficulty choices. To start off, there is the choice between Casual and Classic mode; Casual mode eliminates perma-death from your troops while Classic retains it. What this means is that any character who dies in battle is actually dead. No revives, no second-chances; Unless of course you reset the game(Which means you lose all progress in a battle). This is a great addition for newcomers and FE Vets who just don't want to deal with perma-death. Either mode will offer the exact same gameplay other than what I just mentioned.

The other choices for actual difficulty is Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and the unlock-able Lunatic+. For my first time I went with Classic/Normal. I would recommend this to Newcomers who wish to test the perma-death mechanic out and Novice Fire Emblem players. However, this mode does seem to get easier towards the end when you learn the mechanics of the game. I had the most trouble out of the first 5 or so chapters. Classic/Hard is where you Fire Emblem veterans will probably want to start.

The story is enough to keep you wanting to know what happens next, but it isn't award-winning. However, the characters themselves have their own conversations and personalities through what is called Support Conversations. In a nutshell, the more a characters fights alongside another character, the better their relationship improves. This leads to some interesting dialogues between characters and stat bonuses when those characters are fighting together(Either side-by-side or when 'Paired-up' which means they fight as one unit). If these characters are compatible, they can also get married and have children who can later fight alongside you.

The game also does well at explaining the basics of how to play the game as long as you pay attention.

Pros/Cons (Not a completely detailed list, just what I can think of at the moment.)
+Good graphics, not amazing but they are good to look at
+Voice acting is well done
+Surprisingly good 3D effects
+World map: This makes the game feel a bit less linear
+Combat is interesting
+End-game content(Not much, but a good bit of free content. More DLC available at a small price.)
+/- Free downloadable characters from other FE games, it's a nice touch. However, the characters have no unique dialogue or supports
+/- Grinding: If you like grinding then you'll like this; if you don't like grinding, it is not necessary.

If you're a long-time Fire Emblem fan, SRPG lover, or newcomer looking to see what the hype is about; This is an excellent game to pick up.
on January 4, 2016
I'm a twenty-something woman who occasionally plays video games and I absolutely love this game. It's a turn-based strategy game, which is easier for me to catch on to than a platformer or a first-person-shooter game (I kinda suck at both of those). The story is awesome and I love the decision-making capabilities. Played through it once on Casual Mode (your teammates can die and come back) and started again on Classic (when teammates die, they can't come back). Bought a copy for my sister for Christmas and she really likes it. If you're a big gamer but like good stories and maybe even some Anime, this is a great game for you. My husband and brother-in-law also love this game and they're hardcore gamers. Looking forward to Fire Emblem Fates.
on February 5, 2016
Great game. It has awesome gameplay that is very unique. It can either be a very easy to win strategy game for people who just enjoy a fun play-through, or it can be a difficult but rewarding strategy game where every move has to be calculated and character deaths are permanent. The story is amazing with good dialogue and stunning cut-scenes. For those who are Fire Emblem regulars or returning players to the series this game is a must play. For those just starting with the series, this game is a great place to start since it is very player friendly.
on March 10, 2013
Fire Emblem is my all time favorite handheld game. After Sacred Stones I played the console versions and was not very impressed, they stopped bringing much to the table except the same stuff different story. This was also unfortunately the case with Shadow Dragon.

I took a leap of faith with awakening after reading so much about it. I was not disappointed.

This game is everything I have been waiting for in this series. There is so much depth and so much replayabilty it is not even funny. I have easily 50+ hours on it and am just slowing down now so I don't get sick of it.

It reused Shadow Dragons reclassing system in a much more useful way.

The 3D works so naturally with the game and looks AMAZING.

The story is fantastic and the game has truly evolved, if future installments in the series evolve like this has, the games will really flourish and we will continue to see truly great games. Handheld nonetheless.

Whether you're a fan of the series or not, jump into awakening, the game is accessible with no series prior knowledge except knowing who Marth is. (most people do from smash bros at least anyways)

Fan or not, I'd recommend this to anyone looking for an amazing 3DS game with AMAZING 3D.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2014
First time playing the Fire Emblem series. The reviews did not lie, this is one of the best game that I've played. Was a bit iffy on purchasing an old game, but after reading through the reviews and watching some game-play video online. I decided to give it a shot and this game did not disappoint at all.

The story is not as bad as some review indicates, the turn base strategy is interesting. I would recommended anyone who is playing this game for the very first time (like me) to go through it at least once on the classic mode. I really enjoy the game with the punishment system.

After I beat the game, I would def go back and play it again in casual mode and try to play around with different characters.

Would recommend this game to anyone, 10 stars if I could give it 10!
on November 16, 2016
Been greatly enjoying the game so far, as I haven't had a chance to play fire emblem in years. Read many reviews about this particular game versus the newer version, and happy that i chose this one. The plot is pretty fun, and has its moments that can be somewhat surprising.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.