Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Format: Video Game|Change

on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
66 comments| 364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 28, 2015
I'm a new player to the FE series, and I had no problem hopping into this. Pretty much immediately, I was hooked. The chess-like fighting is fun, and I adore the whole support/relationship system. The writing is excellent, with a lot of very funny and sweet parts in the dialogues. I'm completely hooked on this game and already plan to play it through more times once I'm done with what I quickly started thinking of as my practice game. Being new to it and learning the way the game works, I inadvertently missed out on not only conversations but whole characters because I didn't do things correctly or in the right order. But I don't mind because I look forward to playing it through again.

I'd say this game combines the puzzle-solving/strategy aspect and likable characters with good art of the more realistic-style Zelda games (my favorite game series) with the relationship-building and conversation aspect of Star Wars: The Old Republic (which is one of the few other games I like). I'm not a hard-core gamer. There are a handful of games that I really like and those tend to be enough for me. I've learned that I can tell very early into playing a game if it will be one of those or not. With this game, I could definitely tell right away that I loved this game, and I don't see that feeling going away any time soon.

BTW, I'm not what you'd call a very *good* gamer. I set this on casual, easy mode, pretty much as easy as I can make it, and that's challenging enough for me. If you're new to the series or not a hardcore gamer, I'd recommend doing the same.
on July 28, 2017
Want to raise your own army of waifus? Then this is the game for you! An importantly part of the game is marrying and pairing the characters, unlocking children units. To clarify, they are not child soldiers and are fully frown up. As the breeder, the player decides which character marries who and so forth. It is optional (mostly), but totally hilarious and a little romantic.

Besides that the gameplay is top notch! I would've been ok with the wife simulator, but I guess the battles just make it better. It's an arms race against evil, as to who can get best waifu. The art and gameplay are just amazing, and the replay value makes it a steal. There's always someone else to marry, thus unlocking more story, etc. Hurry and get this before life passes you by.
on May 7, 2017
I only knew Fire Emblem from Super Smash Brothers. I was interested in the FE franchise but I did not know where to start. I read some really good review for this game so I started with Awakening. I love everything about this game. If you like strategy and tactics, the gameplay is a lot of fun. I particularly liked the permanent deaths; when someone dies you typically cannot play as that character for the remainder of the game. I have heard some criticism about the story. But, I found it interesting and I really loved the characters. Please understand that I have never played an FE game before and I am not overly familiar with anime (I think the game art style would be considered anime). Additionally, the inclusion of animated cutscenes was a welcome surprise. This game is a fun tactical challenge for when you are on the move or at home.
on June 29, 2015
I got that game about 1 week ago and I already passed 12 hours on it. I am around the middle of the game. I have a hard time to leave the game. It's not my number one game in the average time on it. I am above 30 years old and I cannot believe that I can pass that much time on a game. I usually play about 3 hours per week but on this one 4x that time yet.

This game looks a lot like the old Sega Genesis Shinning Force series. Maybe this bring to me good old souvenir and this is why I like it so much. The only thing that I do not like is the dialog -- characters talk too much in my opinion. However, the in-game tutorial is great, and the battle become harder and harder which require more thinking before fighting.

This is the second game (after Zelda A Link Between Worlds) that I buy above 35$. So far, it worth it.
on July 21, 2017
This a great intro into the Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS platform. Fire Emblem was very popular as a Turn Based strategy Role Playing game lon the Game Boy Advanced then later in the Nintendo DS system. This game keeps the same concept, but also adds better graphics and gameplay. The story is really great too. Long time fans who remember the original games on the Nintendo Game Boy Advance will like this game a lot.
on August 28, 2014
Holy God, this is one of my favorite and most played games. Right behind Pokemon Y (and only because of breeding) this game clocks in at one of my favorites. If I had to go live in a cave for 5 years with only two games, FEA would undoubtedly be one of them.

To talk about the game, there are a crap ton of little improvements. But one of the things that really pops out at me (quite literally actually) are the gorgeous 3D sprites. I'd been waiting since Radiant Dawn to get another Fire Emblem console game, but this kind of takes away that need (although don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a console version on the Wii U) with the gorgeous graphics. The other main thing I'd like to point out in this, are the support conversations, they're absolutely hilarious. Sometimes I'll replay the game just to watch the support conversations again. While the plot is a bit dry (at least in comparison to Radiant Dawn, my favorite), the support conversations make up for it in a tremendous way. And on a similar note, the DLC is hilarious as well. While it is in no way mandatory to get the DLC to have a good time, it really adds to the post-game experience, and I would highly recommend it to people considering it.

One final thing I'd like to say, is that Spotpass is awesome. I love occasionally turning on my 3DS to find a new team on the map to fight, and recruit their leader (assuming I win). It's an awesome random element that was just added, and Intelligent Systems really deserves a thumbs up for it.

All in all, you should definitely get this game.
on November 15, 2015
Right now, this is the best RPG for the 3DS, my personal favorite 3DS game, and probably the best Fire Emblem game as well. I bought the 3DS to play this game. Alongside peers like Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds, It is in the top 5 games on the system.
This is a turn based, chess-type game where your soldiers are your "pieces" that can attack or use abilities depending on position on the field. The story is interesting, with a fantasy setting and characters that may become friends, marry, and even have kids, depending on how you match them. This mechanic also modifies and creates new soldiers in your army. If your soldiers die, its either restart the level or they die forever, and no one wants to lose a favorite soldier! The difficulty and investment into your army gradually draw you in and encourage you to hone your strategies. If you are a perfectionist and must do everything on the hardest difficulty level, may God have mercy on your soon-to-be-tormented soul.
To say it simply, this should be the first purchase for an (J)RPG fan with a 3DS.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 18, 2016
A great game, and the most fun I've had with a tactical RPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. This was my first Fire Emblem game and after this game I'm all-in on the franchise. Fantastic, balanced, slight rock-paper-scissor, gameplay. Each character class is useful in their own way. The addition of permadeath really does add a level of tension to the battles. The graphics are spot-on with the anime style cut scenes and character models. Every design choice appears to be smartly thought through from the maps to the simple option of skipping the fighting sequences and cutscenes (if you're into that sort of thing). The music is solid, nothing too obnoxious, but the voice acting during the stills scenes sometimes gets irritating (think Navi in Ocarina of Time "Hey! Listen!"). Lastly the story is good, good enough at least to have me interested throughout the entirety of the campaign. I would gladly have purchased a 3DS just to experience this game. Buy it!
on July 11, 2014
Although there's a few glitches like having to switch back to Japanese audio whenever you close the game, it was very fun to play. The support conversations for each character with each other and your character is very nice and fun to read! Even when you cap out the max levels of your current class, you can change your unit's class to something else to gain more skills.
It does get a bit boring when you reach the end and there's nothing much to do besides get more skills and level up the supports though. Also, for some special dialogue scenes, you have to buy the DLC maps inside the game. If you have a bit of extra cash, go for it. I wish there was some way of achieving it instead though since I don't have a lot of extra cash.

I hope that they'll be able to fix up some of those glitches with an online patch or something. Also, I really wished they allowed more options with the marriage choices. You don't always have to marry or have intercourse with the opposite sex in order to get a kid you know.

Either way, I would recommend getting this game if you want to have some fun and plot altogether.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.