YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$39.99 - $99.99

Showing 1-10 of 755 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,013 reviews
on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
55 comments| 286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2013
I have the digital copy on my older sister's 3DS and I'm getting a preordered physical copy from Amazon. I absolutely love the series and I think this is a huge step up from the originals.

The game's story expands a multitude of chapters with many amazing characters from different backgrounds. Each of the characters develops and can become romantically involved with another character, granting them bonuses in battle and later on, kids!

The 3D effect is just plain awesome. At first I thought there was dust flying around or something but then I realized it was actually the smoke from the game and every once in a while, bats would fly out! I also love the first person view point in 3D battle. Makes for a trippy experience when using flying units. Superbly done.

Fire Emblem is notable for its strategic, tactical game play. Over the past 12 games, the gameplay was the same and a little stale. However in this new edition, they introduced many interesting and unique additions including "Pair up" and the getting bonuses from adjacent characters! Pairing up beefs up a unit in multiple areas and allows for a chance of dual attacking or blocking (and negating all damage!) of a hit. It also increases support levels and such.

Supports are also returning in this game along with the marriage system. Supports are essentially characters getting closer together the more time they are with other characters. For example having the Main Lord (Chrom) with another female (non relative hopefully) character pairing up or being adjacent for many battles will increase their support levels. As this level increases, eventually the characters will fall in love and get married.

There is DLC in this game but don't get too worked up about it. The game itself is completely finished so it isn't an on-disc dlc but rather bonus content for those who want extra challenge. DLC includes maps, characters, and monster attacks which also includes weapons and such. However the characters can be gotten for free (and there are more free characters than DLC characters) through spotpass. Simply leaving your 3DS in sleep mode will allow you to download the characters and maps. The characters are not related to the main game but rather come from other Fire Emblem games including Marth, Roy, Ike, the Smash Bros. favorites. During the first month or so, there is a free DLC including a very special character. Be sure to pick up the game so you can pick him up also!

There is a bundle 3DS with this game but I wouldn't recommend it as it is not a 3DS XL. I greatly prefer the XL over the regular 3DS but if you're not picky about the size then go ahead and pick up the bundle instead. Aside from that, I would rather recommend getting a 3DS XL blue (MK7 bundle if possible) and then adding the decal if you really want it.
1717 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2013
Short and sweet from a 30 something adult: This is one of the best strategy games on any platform, and it would be worth it to buy the console even if this were the only game on the 3DS. Great story, possibly the best graphics on the system, smart use of 3D, varying levels of difficulty, and there is a real push to keep all of your units alive to the end of each mission because if they die (in classic mode) they're gone for good. If you buy the game, start on hard (not normal) and classic (not casual) settings, because on normal mode it is too easy after the first few missions and on casual mode it just makes you care less about your strategy if your units can't permanently die. I would recommend this for older kids and adults - the layers of complexity to the fight system and the character stats might be lost on young kids.
on September 11, 2016
This game exceeded my expectations greatly. There are many games on the 3DS that I love, but this is definitely near the top. I love the way you have to strategize just to complete the game. Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just move them wherever and even if I am super strong, you can't always beat them. I love the way that you have to think it out, kind of like a chess game, where every move counts. This was my first Fire Emblem game, and I enjoyed it so much that I also bought Fire Emblem: Birthright! I have to admit that is probably choose that game over this one just due to extra features but the storyline of this one is definitely better in my opinion. I hope other people can enjoy this game as much as I did (which may be very difficult seeing as how I really enjoyed it)!
on January 26, 2015
This game an awesome game. I absolutely love the gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy Tactics series. The music is wonderful and really lends itself to the world. The characters interaction is funny and touching at times. I'm doing a lot of grinding so I'm currently 35 hours into the game and I still have a good portion of the main story to go.

My only complaint with the game is (from what I have read) is the lack of New Game +. Meaning other than DLC (downloadable content), when you are done the game, you cannot restart with all of your leveled up characters. For whatever reason if I have misread this information and find out otherwise, I will edit this review.
on March 14, 2013
It's too bad we can't rate over 5 stars because, if ever there was a title that deserved it, this would be it. The dialogue is downright hilarious at points. The storyline is moving, and the characters are deep and varied. If you like RPGs in general and the Grand Strategy genre specifically, this title is perfect for you. Even the boards are lovely, especially Prism Mountain. It's one of the few games that was so well-made that I find myself frequently turning the 3D back on just to see it in all it's lovelyness.

The only bad thing is that there's no official guide, so you'll have to print out an online one. I would have enjoyed the ability to watch the video cut scenes (which are truly amazing, btw) in the extras and the ability to see support info while in battle. Still, I give this a very solid 5 stars, and a stack of kudos for being a most worthy addition to the Fire Emblem series.

Signed, Pamela
on May 23, 2015
ive always hated s/RPG, thought it was boring but decided to get it because of the hype. I was giving RPG a second chance after final fantasy which did not hold my interest. Omgosh! Talk about being immersed into a game;I don't want to do anything else but play this game. I initially got it from Nintendo e-shop then knew i had to get a physical copy. The different characters are fun and the storyline line is interesting. I've pretty much cut off communication with my people since I got it lol. I even take this game to work to play on my breaks 😆!It's a great game for role playing game new comers like me. THIS IS THE BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED!! ...sigh, I've barely slept in days :(
on February 13, 2014
For younger gamers, or for those new to the series, I could easily see this title getting 4 or 5 stars. That said, if you've played earlier titles in the series, you may have a different perspective altogether. What the game boasts in beautiful presentation quality, it lacks severely in terms of story and overall game mechanics.

My biggest beefs overall:
1) There is literally no reason to use many (most) of the characters. This truly, truly bothered me. While the game presents you with a plethora of interesting individuals for use on your team, you can easily skip most of them. The first 8 or 9 characters you get are easily good enough to handle anything that the game throws at you (in my experience, many of the characters had freakish stat growths). Also, the tactician unit and Chrom quickly become living gods.

2) The maps. Repetitive, boring and overly simplistic. They sure are pretty though.

3) The plot. The story seemed to be more a series of half-developed arcs than a single, coherent plot line. Also, I found the dialogue to be painfully cheesy and heavy handed, but maybe that's just me growing out of my affinity for the JRPG style. Wasn't into it at all.

In short, I heard great things about this game and really wanted to like it. It was the reason I bought a 3DS. But as someone who's taste in games have matured over the years, I found that this particular entry into the series wasn't aimed at me. I have since returned my 3DS and the game.

Just my two cents.
on July 28, 2016
I love Fire Emblem games! When this came out and they said it would be the last, I felt sad, but I was going to play this to the fullest. I beat it restarted and beat it again. I even downloaded most of the DLC (well, the DLC that suited me).

The story is amazing, and sad. But there are some points where the story turns around and things are on the up & up, the graphics are beautiful and adding a character that you can custom make (as much as they allow) really makes you feel like you're part of the game. You can still evolve classes with seals, making some of the weaker characters worth the grind. If you get one of the DLC's in the eshop, you can level up super fast and get a lot of $$$ for your party in the process. It's fun and I love to strategize. There's a mode where you can play classic mode or the new mode. In classic mode, normally a character that has been defeated by battle would be permanently gone from your campaign, but in a new mode the character defeated in battle is back at the main camp. I don't think you can take them with you anymore however, I'm not sure because I normally either start over or reload a save. All in all, this is a very good fire emblem, one of the best so far. (the success of this one created some more).
A must buy for any 3DS owner. If you appreciate well crafted game design, from graphics, to strategy, to story, to varying levels of difficulty, THIS is your benchmark game. You don't need to have played any previous Fire Emblem game to appreciate this - it's a true stand-alone gem. My favorite part is the outstanding 3D graphics. A lot of 3DS games are just "gimmicky" that way, but this utilizes the feature to its best.

Not much I can say that hasn't been said, other than chiming in to say YOU NEED TO BUY THIS GAME!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.