Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Format: Video Game|Change

on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
344 helpful votes
345 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on July 21, 2017
This a great intro into the Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS platform. Fire Emblem was very popular as a Turn Based strategy Role Playing game lon the Game Boy Advanced then later in the Nintendo DS system. This game keeps the same concept, but also adds better graphics and gameplay. The story is really great too. Long time fans who remember the original games on the Nintendo Game Boy Advance will like this game a lot.
on June 29, 2013
(Spoiler-free review)
I have just completed my first playthrough of this game, it took me around 20-30 hours to get to the end. This would have probably been shorter if I had skipped conversations and went straight through the story. Needless to say this game is very much worth the price for what you're getting.

I'm a Fire Emblem novice(Not a newcomer, but not exactly a veteran) so I understood the basic mechanics of the game. I've only played the 1st USA Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance. I liked it, but wasn't hooked enough to dive into any other games in the series. This game has brought me back into the series and now I will probably be purchasing future installments.

The game also features multiple difficulty choices. To start off, there is the choice between Casual and Classic mode; Casual mode eliminates perma-death from your troops while Classic retains it. What this means is that any character who dies in battle is actually dead. No revives, no second-chances; Unless of course you reset the game(Which means you lose all progress in a battle). This is a great addition for newcomers and FE Vets who just don't want to deal with perma-death. Either mode will offer the exact same gameplay other than what I just mentioned.

The other choices for actual difficulty is Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and the unlock-able Lunatic+. For my first time I went with Classic/Normal. I would recommend this to Newcomers who wish to test the perma-death mechanic out and Novice Fire Emblem players. However, this mode does seem to get easier towards the end when you learn the mechanics of the game. I had the most trouble out of the first 5 or so chapters. Classic/Hard is where you Fire Emblem veterans will probably want to start.

The story is enough to keep you wanting to know what happens next, but it isn't award-winning. However, the characters themselves have their own conversations and personalities through what is called Support Conversations. In a nutshell, the more a characters fights alongside another character, the better their relationship improves. This leads to some interesting dialogues between characters and stat bonuses when those characters are fighting together(Either side-by-side or when 'Paired-up' which means they fight as one unit). If these characters are compatible, they can also get married and have children who can later fight alongside you.

The game also does well at explaining the basics of how to play the game as long as you pay attention.

Pros/Cons (Not a completely detailed list, just what I can think of at the moment.)
+Good graphics, not amazing but they are good to look at
+Voice acting is well done
+Surprisingly good 3D effects
+World map: This makes the game feel a bit less linear
+Combat is interesting
+End-game content(Not much, but a good bit of free content. More DLC available at a small price.)
+/- Free downloadable characters from other FE games, it's a nice touch. However, the characters have no unique dialogue or supports
+/- Grinding: If you like grinding then you'll like this; if you don't like grinding, it is not necessary.

If you're a long-time Fire Emblem fan, SRPG lover, or newcomer looking to see what the hype is about; This is an excellent game to pick up.
on January 4, 2016
I'm a twenty-something woman who occasionally plays video games and I absolutely love this game. It's a turn-based strategy game, which is easier for me to catch on to than a platformer or a first-person-shooter game (I kinda suck at both of those). The story is awesome and I love the decision-making capabilities. Played through it once on Casual Mode (your teammates can die and come back) and started again on Classic (when teammates die, they can't come back). Bought a copy for my sister for Christmas and she really likes it. If you're a big gamer but like good stories and maybe even some Anime, this is a great game for you. My husband and brother-in-law also love this game and they're hardcore gamers. Looking forward to Fire Emblem Fates.
on October 26, 2017
I originally played this game in 2014 but recently bought it again after losing it so here's my "scattered thoughts" review.

It brings in elements from many different entries to the series. Marriage and children from Genealogy of the Holy War, being able to navigate an overworld map like in Gaiden.

The level design is mostly of average quality compared to previous entries to the series, it does however have hints of genius sprinkled throughout. Just watch out for angry Norwegians when you get to chapter 16

The character interaction is entertaining and there are some quite genuinely tear jerking moments with plenty of the supports

Speaking of supports, the waifus. Now I'm by no means a weeb or an otaku but I can appreciate a good lookin' waifu and boy are there plenty so listen up weebs. You will love this game if only just for the waifus.

The voice acting (what little there is of it) is mostly up to standard.

Overall this is a fantastic game with an insane amount of replay-ability
Fire Emblem: Awakening
on March 10, 2013
Fire Emblem is my all time favorite handheld game. After Sacred Stones I played the console versions and was not very impressed, they stopped bringing much to the table except the same stuff different story. This was also unfortunately the case with Shadow Dragon.

I took a leap of faith with awakening after reading so much about it. I was not disappointed.

This game is everything I have been waiting for in this series. There is so much depth and so much replayabilty it is not even funny. I have easily 50+ hours on it and am just slowing down now so I don't get sick of it.

It reused Shadow Dragons reclassing system in a much more useful way.

The 3D works so naturally with the game and looks AMAZING.

The story is fantastic and the game has truly evolved, if future installments in the series evolve like this has, the games will really flourish and we will continue to see truly great games. Handheld nonetheless.

Whether you're a fan of the series or not, jump into awakening, the game is accessible with no series prior knowledge except knowing who Marth is. (most people do from smash bros at least anyways)

Fan or not, I'd recommend this to anyone looking for an amazing 3DS game with AMAZING 3D.
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 22, 2014
First time playing the Fire Emblem series. The reviews did not lie, this is one of the best game that I've played. Was a bit iffy on purchasing an old game, but after reading through the reviews and watching some game-play video online. I decided to give it a shot and this game did not disappoint at all.

The story is not as bad as some review indicates, the turn base strategy is interesting. I would recommended anyone who is playing this game for the very first time (like me) to go through it at least once on the classic mode. I really enjoy the game with the punishment system.

After I beat the game, I would def go back and play it again in casual mode and try to play around with different characters.

Would recommend this game to anyone, 10 stars if I could give it 10!
on November 16, 2016
Been greatly enjoying the game so far, as I haven't had a chance to play fire emblem in years. Read many reviews about this particular game versus the newer version, and happy that i chose this one. The plot is pretty fun, and has its moments that can be somewhat surprising.
2 helpful votes
on March 20, 2013
I played the demo on the 3DS before it was released and was happy to see there were portions of the beginning the demo hadn't spoiled. This game is everything you love about Fire Emblem all in one package... and with nice visuals to boot.

The biggest complaint I have with the game is the weird way everyone's feet look... they are all presumably wearing shoes / boots of some kind, but all of the character models feet taper off and almost look like the are sticking into the world geometry. After a while you eventually get used to it... but it's a weird effect and not sure why they modeled the characters that way. Doesn't take away from the game at all... just weird.

The only other negative would be how short supply the game seems to be in. I wasn't in a huge rush to get it but it still took a while to receive even though I preordered it. It still shows 2 weeks out from Amazon. Is Nintendo only making 100 copies of this game a week?
on July 5, 2013
I have played some Fire Emblems games before mainly the ones on the GBA and Ibought this expecting the same but i was wrong it's so much better. For one the pairing up system adds a new way to play by allowing you to put two units together and build up their bond to each other making them more effective as a team during battle and if you pair up a male unit with a female unit and reach the highest bond level they become married and can have a kid which can be used in battles and paired up with other units to make them stronger in battle. The gameplay is basicly the same as previous entries in the franchise you have your units on one side and the enemy on the other side or completely surrounding you the only difference now is that depending on the difficulty you choose ( Casual, Normal, Hard) your units can be still be used even if they fall in battle or if you choose normal difficulty they are gone for ever if they die during battle.Graphics are in 2D most of the time only switching to 3D when the attack animation takes place which look pretty good by the way. This game has ton of replayability, if you choose to play through the story again just to pair up the units with others or the wealth of DLC available you can meet Characters from the past Fire Emblem games and have them join your army. Definitely one of the best games released on 3DS and this year, It's one of the BEST GAMES EVER MADE !!!!!!! play it you won't be dissapointed.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.