Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 612 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 823 reviews
on March 21, 2014
I wasn't interested in playing Fire Emblem at first--I had ordered this because my husband wanted to play it. He kept insisting that I try it, so I did. Then he never saw our 3DS again. The end.
55 comments| 334 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2014
Holy God, this is one of my favorite and most played games. Right behind Pokemon Y (and only because of breeding) this game clocks in at one of my favorites. If I had to go live in a cave for 5 years with only two games, FEA would undoubtedly be one of them.

To talk about the game, there are a crap ton of little improvements. But one of the things that really pops out at me (quite literally actually) are the gorgeous 3D sprites. I'd been waiting since Radiant Dawn to get another Fire Emblem console game, but this kind of takes away that need (although don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a console version on the Wii U) with the gorgeous graphics. The other main thing I'd like to point out in this, are the support conversations, they're absolutely hilarious. Sometimes I'll replay the game just to watch the support conversations again. While the plot is a bit dry (at least in comparison to Radiant Dawn, my favorite), the support conversations make up for it in a tremendous way. And on a similar note, the DLC is hilarious as well. While it is in no way mandatory to get the DLC to have a good time, it really adds to the post-game experience, and I would highly recommend it to people considering it.

One final thing I'd like to say, is that Spotpass is awesome. I love occasionally turning on my 3DS to find a new team on the map to fight, and recruit their leader (assuming I win). It's an awesome random element that was just added, and Intelligent Systems really deserves a thumbs up for it.

All in all, you should definitely get this game.
on March 18, 2016
A great game, and the most fun I've had with a tactical RPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. This was my first Fire Emblem game and after this game I'm all-in on the franchise. Fantastic, balanced, slight rock-paper-scissor, gameplay. Each character class is useful in their own way. The addition of permadeath really does add a level of tension to the battles. The graphics are spot-on with the anime style cut scenes and character models. Every design choice appears to be smartly thought through from the maps to the simple option of skipping the fighting sequences and cutscenes (if you're into that sort of thing). The music is solid, nothing too obnoxious, but the voice acting during the stills scenes sometimes gets irritating (think Navi in Ocarina of Time "Hey! Listen!"). Lastly the story is good, good enough at least to have me interested throughout the entirety of the campaign. I would gladly have purchased a 3DS just to experience this game. Buy it!
on December 24, 2013
I got a 3DS for A Link Between Worlds, which finally broke my resolve and convinced me to upgrade from my DS Lite. However, I bought my 3DS when the game was announced because it was on sale, not when the game was released. Pokemon X was alright, but I've never been a huge fan of the series. This game, however, made a fire emblem fan.

It's a big step up from the older games from what I can understand, and as a newcomer I can say I absolutely love it. I've played through the main campaign multiple times now and appreciate that the DLC feels fair and the game itself is jam-packed with things to do.

Of course, those things wouldn't matter if they were boring, but they aren't. They're fantastic. If you enjoy strategy games, or heck, forging relationships between characters at your command, then this game is for you. Really, if you own a 3DS, this game is probably for you. It's friendly to those unfamiliar with the series but has a wonderful story that's all its own, fantastic mechanics, and lovable characters.

The 3D isn't really necessary but the 3D cut scenes are really cool and worth sliding up that little slider if you can, though they look fine in 2D too.

Really though, this game opened my eyes to potential awesomeness the 3DS can hold.
on April 19, 2014
This is just a great strategy game with a heavy story/RPG focus. You could sink hours into it. Not just to raise and build your army, but if you want like a little dating/breeding sim action, there is that too.The ability to set difficulty level is great. You could want a casual gameplay experience or get hard core action.

The only gripe I have is with the map/zooming - I prefer the older 2D styles that makes everything clear and neat to see. With this one, I have to constantly zoom out to see an overview of the battle field, and then zoom back in again. But once you are zoomed back in, there may be reinforcements and such and you would forget about them until enemy turn... Progress they call this.
on April 7, 2013
I don't have a lot to add that hasn't been said but I loved this game.

Pros:
* The characters are great and varied. This really exceeded my expectations since it's originally in Japanese.
* Combat and strategy aspects are fun and make you really think about how you have to tackle situations.
* You can turn off the combat animations but they're so fun to watch I find I don't want to.
* More forgiving difficulty options are a welcome addition to a series that has been relentlessly punishing.
* Choosing which relationships to develop is neat and rewarding.
* While not that surprising, the ending is satisfying.
* I'm looking forward to playing the game again on a higher difficulty. There's many character relationships I look forward to pursuing.

Cons:
* Because perma-death is optional you get the feeling while playing that the experience isn't tailored to it being optional. I ended up with way more characters.than I could put to use and there was no incentive to let my lower level characters grind up.
* Skill unlocks were opaque to me so I had difficulty planning my characters' progression.
* Climax kind of drags on as you're not sure whether the game will end in the next mission for the last 5 or so.
* Linking characters often keeps the secondary character from gaining levels. It'd be nice if the XP were shared more consistently.
on July 21, 2017
This a great intro into the Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS platform. Fire Emblem was very popular as a Turn Based strategy Role Playing game lon the Game Boy Advanced then later in the Nintendo DS system. This game keeps the same concept, but also adds better graphics and gameplay. The story is really great too. Long time fans who remember the original games on the Nintendo Game Boy Advance will like this game a lot.
on July 3, 2013
If you like RPG and strategy game then this is a must have item to your library. The gameplay is great and addictive, it forces you to think and strategize, it is quite easy to get into but it will take some understanding to master and build your ultimate party (customization through job abilities will provide more depth in building your ultimate characters). With its connectivity and the ability to buy add ons pack, you can stretch your play value, there is always something new week after week.

The story is good, not overly complex, with some time travel twist added to the plot. Be aware that this game is very addictive, you can spend hours playing it and not realizing time goes by. There is also an "easy mode" if you don't like the fact that one bad move can make you loose your team member forever. Greatly recommended for veteran FE fans and new casual players alike. If you don't mind purchasing add ons, there are plenty to download and to expand your game play.

This summer there is a promotion where you can get $30 credit when you buy both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami 4, assuming you register them both as Nintendo Club members. Get them while they last.
on June 29, 2013
(Spoiler-free review)
I have just completed my first playthrough of this game, it took me around 20-30 hours to get to the end. This would have probably been shorter if I had skipped conversations and went straight through the story. Needless to say this game is very much worth the price for what you're getting.

I'm a Fire Emblem novice(Not a newcomer, but not exactly a veteran) so I understood the basic mechanics of the game. I've only played the 1st USA Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance. I liked it, but wasn't hooked enough to dive into any other games in the series. This game has brought me back into the series and now I will probably be purchasing future installments.

The game also features multiple difficulty choices. To start off, there is the choice between Casual and Classic mode; Casual mode eliminates perma-death from your troops while Classic retains it. What this means is that any character who dies in battle is actually dead. No revives, no second-chances; Unless of course you reset the game(Which means you lose all progress in a battle). This is a great addition for newcomers and FE Vets who just don't want to deal with perma-death. Either mode will offer the exact same gameplay other than what I just mentioned.

The other choices for actual difficulty is Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and the unlock-able Lunatic+. For my first time I went with Classic/Normal. I would recommend this to Newcomers who wish to test the perma-death mechanic out and Novice Fire Emblem players. However, this mode does seem to get easier towards the end when you learn the mechanics of the game. I had the most trouble out of the first 5 or so chapters. Classic/Hard is where you Fire Emblem veterans will probably want to start.

The story is enough to keep you wanting to know what happens next, but it isn't award-winning. However, the characters themselves have their own conversations and personalities through what is called Support Conversations. In a nutshell, the more a characters fights alongside another character, the better their relationship improves. This leads to some interesting dialogues between characters and stat bonuses when those characters are fighting together(Either side-by-side or when 'Paired-up' which means they fight as one unit). If these characters are compatible, they can also get married and have children who can later fight alongside you.

The game also does well at explaining the basics of how to play the game as long as you pay attention.

Pros/Cons (Not a completely detailed list, just what I can think of at the moment.)
+Good graphics, not amazing but they are good to look at
+Voice acting is well done
+Surprisingly good 3D effects
+World map: This makes the game feel a bit less linear
+Combat is interesting
+End-game content(Not much, but a good bit of free content. More DLC available at a small price.)
+/- Free downloadable characters from other FE games, it's a nice touch. However, the characters have no unique dialogue or supports
+/- Grinding: If you like grinding then you'll like this; if you don't like grinding, it is not necessary.

If you're a long-time Fire Emblem fan, SRPG lover, or newcomer looking to see what the hype is about; This is an excellent game to pick up.
on January 4, 2016
I'm a twenty-something woman who occasionally plays video games and I absolutely love this game. It's a turn-based strategy game, which is easier for me to catch on to than a platformer or a first-person-shooter game (I kinda suck at both of those). The story is awesome and I love the decision-making capabilities. Played through it once on Casual Mode (your teammates can die and come back) and started again on Classic (when teammates die, they can't come back). Bought a copy for my sister for Christmas and she really likes it. If you're a big gamer but like good stories and maybe even some Anime, this is a great game for you. My husband and brother-in-law also love this game and they're hardcore gamers. Looking forward to Fire Emblem Fates.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.