Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fire in the Ashes
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on September 29, 2000
IN the 30s, when pulp adventure was king, there was a magazine called Operator 5 about America's greatest secret agent. Excellent stories, but especially noteworthy is the "Purple Invasion" set of stories where Op 5 had to contend with foreign invaders who had seized control of America. The "Ashes" series rings with echoes of those great pulp stories. After WW3, America is in grips of a brutal, yet American run, dictatorship. Ben Raines is the head of the Rebels trying to overthrow the ruling govt. and return America to democracy. The first 3/4 of the book show Raines in his struggle with the ruling party. The last quarter is a grim account of the world being swept by the Black Plague. All in all, it's an exciting and worthwhile adventure with one proviso. Normally I don't mind a little sex and violence in my action fiction. Heck, violence is an integral part of any men's adventure fiction. What is disturbing about this book is the sex and there is plenty of it. However, almost all of the sex portrayed in this book is brutal rape. When the secret police are trying to get information from anyone in this book, they are, for the most part, raped, sodomized or forced to watch loved ones undergo the same treatment. A couple of incidents would have been fine to show characterization of the men in power, but Johnstone goes way overboard. It was a bit disturbing
on October 20, 2015
It's the way United States should be, instead of the way it is. Should be required reading in Jr.High Schools. A land where no one is homeless, no child is abused, or goes hungry Evertbody has free medical coverage. The best part, there are NO lawyers, we don,t need them. There is very, very little, almost non existant crime If we catch you in a major crime, like murder or rape, theres no trial, no ammendments rights to hide behind. Within a couple days, you're dead. If you get caught for a minor crime, you make restitution, and the you are kicked out of the Country. If you come back, we kill you. So with that hanging over your head, The Country is basically crime free. Every child receives an education, There is no bigotry, there are no ghettos. It is basically a book (actually a series of books) about a world that will never be. However, it's nice to think, what if it were that way? We would no longer be #7 in the world, We would be #1 again. It is a series of books of fiction, correction books of fantasy. It is about a place that will never exist. I have read the series 3 times, I will read it a 4th.... Oh, one last thing. There are no zombies in it, so the little Cherubs probably won't like it. But then who cares who likes it or not? As long as I like it, thats really the only thing that matters. The series starts out, with Book 1, Out of the ashes, so the serries is called The Ashes Series. It's a hard series to find. Some of the books are out of print. Johnstone passed away years ago. All I can say is RIP, and thank you. I gave my first series away to different friends to read. Then I decided, I wanted to read it again. I had a hard time finding the books, the second time around. Through Amazon, EBay, and used book stores I was able to acquire the set again. This one. I will not lend out. Who knows, maybe the zombies took them all. Afterall, zombies are real.......................are'nt they?
on March 10, 2013
The continuing saga of Ben Raines and his Rebels! Book arrived long before it was expected to and, in fact, I had finished reading it before it's projected arrival date. The Ashes Series is a MUST READ for anyone that likes adventure and books relating to any apocolyptic scenario. The book was in better than expected condition (used). Once you read the first book in this series (Out of the Ashes), you'll be hooked.
on June 9, 2016
Great read. Great second to Out if the Ashes. Actually very scary that some of his principals and direction could easily impact the America we live in today. The storyline creates a desire to get the next in the series - obvious 'cures' to many social ills.
on January 8, 1999
This book is number 2 in the Ashes series and it a great sequal to number 1. It keeps you there right in the thick of things and it shall leave marks on your neck from the stranglehold it put on you. You might think I exagerate and who knows I might be doing just that but for you to find out you have to buy it and read it. So go ahead I dare you.
on April 17, 2014
If you like taking things into your own hands, especially a gun and
hate evil and don't mind killing it this might a good series for you to read.

There is some 'sameness' to each book but it is any easy escapism read!!
on April 24, 2014
YES HE CAN! He's not making any lists, he's cleaning house and setting up shop as he goes. His vision is going to live or he's going to die trying. The Tri-States success is his inspiration and his Rebels won't back down.
on September 1, 2014
There is way to much repeating of text from the previous book, "Out Of The Ashes". This may be appropriate if the reader is not following the books in order, as I'm doing. I found it annoying.
on October 3, 2013
Yes it is over the top in some areas but it is not called fiction because it reflects reality. I read and listen to these to be entertained and have the mind set if things will happen. For me, not a question of if, but when.
on August 30, 2013
William Johnstone was well ahead of all of us on what was coming to this Country. America needs to wake up and read this series of books to better understand what is coming. I would like to see all these books on Kindle.