Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on July 20, 2015
I bought this on impulse because it was a Kindle deal, and I must say that I enjoyed reading it. The basic theme is that the 21st century working world requires many of us to adjust our attitude and expectations about jobs. Work to live, get your satisfaction outside of your job, and let go of the idea of long-term jobs or careers in one place. That's the "wisdom" in a nutshell.

Once you get past the well-written and thoughtful presentation of those ideas, the rest is fluff, fantasy, and anecdotes about New Yorkers who are supposed to be examples. A disproportionate amount of ink is spent promoting the myth that if you just focus on the needs of your boss rather than the needs of yourself or the company, you'll have a wealth of job security and freedom. If only.

I've been on both ends of the layoff pain, and my company recently eliminated half of my direct reports. The layoff decisions had nothing to do with who I liked, who stroked my ego, and who met MY needs. Instead, they had everything to do with the work itself-- and which skilled positions it required. The author would say those are just excuses. But if you buy into that outlook, you may be damaging your own chances of surviving the next layoff. If the work now only requires a SharePoint developer and you're a Drupal developer, you're going to be laid off no matter how much your boss loves you. (Feel free to substitute "welder" for "Sharepoint developer" and "carpenter" for "Drupal developer." )

Nevertheless, the book does have some thought-provoking insights that may just force you to rethink your attitudes about jobs. Just gloss over the insufferable tales about the plight of so many affluent New Yorkers or the rehash of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. They are lazy page stuffing in an otherwise-worthwhile read.
on July 22, 2015
Different kind of book. Not your typical job search advice. What I like about it is that it's advice that rocks the boat. As a job hunter one can get into a slump of traditional thinking, doing what's 'safe'... and end up nowhere. This book encourages taking charge, and adopting a different approach. And certainly a mindset of constantly wanting to attract new jobs and opportunities.

Oh, and it takes a big shot at the "do the work you love and the money will follow". I've always felt that this philosophy, while seductive, is more dreamland than reality. Certainly one has strengths, but to find a job that means "getting up in the morning is a joy" (to quote one jobs advice site) is, in my opinion, bollocks. It's more complicated than that. There are many things about even the most ordinary job that one can get satisfaction from. And many aspects of the 'perfect job for me' that will test my patience. And work isn't life. One can develop other interests that add meaning to life, outside of work. The book tells one how.

Landing a new job requires a complicated mix of factors to come together. And at the centre of it all is the attitude, mindset and actions of the job hunter. For encouraging ownership of that and for getting one thinking along new lines, this book gets a 5.
on August 21, 2015
Despite what the title says, the book is really just about being proactive and rethinking your work ethic and strategy. It’s about understanding how to move up in today’s career ladder in a realistic way, no words minced, no feelings spared. The idea of networking is stressed over and over in this book as one of the best ways to get up in the career field – and unfortunately it is. People like to hire people they know, or have heard about. They are wary about hiring strangers and when you have your boss on your side you’re going to do well in the company. If you’re looking for a reality check that will really boost how you do in the company, then this is the book for you.
on November 26, 2012
Be prepared to take action on your current career or getting on to one you will truly enjoy. This is not your normal warm and fuzzy self-help book. This is actionable stuff! After reading this book and leaving my current position (after 24 years) as a Partner in a large, global professional services firm, I took some time off and then joined a much smaller, but so much more satisfying company with people I trust, enjoy and respect. Yes, the money is less, but that's all. I travel much less, see my family more, have weekends for me, am more engaged with our clients, work face to face with staff, have much easier decision making (and process), a lot less BS and overall am much more engaged with more aspects of the business. All that and I am enjoying life like I used to.

Let me also confirm that being the "boy scout" does not work. If you are genuinely talented and do not think the world revolves around you, then you will never worry about working. Talent NEVER goes out of style, it is sought after and your employer will appreciate and respect you if you stand up for what you think is the right thing. He or she may not agree with you, but will respect your convictions and thinking. Take a stand and don't reward bad behaviour!

If some of this feels a little uncomfortable, take some small steps and try out a few things and see what happens. You will want to develop your style and pace, but start making changes now. Now is always the best time to start. Good luck!
on June 25, 2017
Nice opinion and viewpoint for thought; take some, leave some information
on January 6, 2016
Gives a truly different perspective. I did not take all of this guy's advice, since I prefer being employed, but the book gave me a view of my work environment from which I cannot recover. I am no longer cowering in fear of the bigwigs around here. No matter what they do, they will never again control my life. I look at them face to face and tell them the straight truth. Believe it or not, I now have more authority than ever. Reverse psychology? Call it what you will, this book has greatly enhanced my self esteem.
on February 8, 2009
Turning a popular cliché on its head, "Fire Your Boss" (HarperResource, 2004) by Stephen Pollan and Mark Levine encourages readers to instead "Work For The Money, The Love Will Follow." Additional unconventional insights include thinking of your work as a job and not a career, making compensation the number one decision driver in job selection, and intentionally not looking for personal satisfaction in one's work (because you won't find it there!).

When I read the above, it sounds like this book is cynical and downbeat. Actually, it is refreshing and liberating. It empowers people to take control of their work lives, to stop using work as an excuse or a substitute for not have a personal life, and to acknowledge the importance of economic security.

I am a big fan of the career development/ self-improvement genre, and I thoroughly believe in following your passion and leading an authentic life. This book is at the top of my recommended reading list because it doesn't contradict that; in fact it supports it more than many of the career books out there today. The checklist offered for considering job offers is comprehensive and spot on. The anecdotes of people who have used the Fire Your Boss philosophy are compelling and practical. If you embrace the philosophy espoused in this book, it will actually be easier to find passion and authenticity in your life. "Fire Your Boss" ultimately is about how working is just one part of what you do, not all of it. In that way, this book is less about work and more about life.
on July 14, 2004
I really liked this book because it encapsulates and enlarges upon conclusions that I had come to myself.
Mr. Pollan and Mr. Levine are very right when they advise us to be on a constant job search. The employment environment has become so erratic and unpredictable that this is a must. Those people who ignore this advice end up fruitlessly sending out resumes for years before they find another position.
I also like their advice in Chapter 4 ("There's no I in Job"). It had never occurred to me to observe my boss and write down the observations to determine what the boss' real wants and needs were. If I had done that I might have been more successful at some of my jobs.
Their observation that there is no definite correlation between job performance and compensation is consistent with my experience. Usually raises for outstanding performance are only slightly higher than inflation. The only way to obtain a larger raise is to have a credible threat of quitting or to move to another firm. I think that the only type of performance that will result in a definite change of compensation is poor performance or non-performance. That will result in a firing or a layoff. But mediocre performance, good performance, outstanding performance? They all get more or less equivalent compensation.
So as not to sound too cynical I would say that the value of outstanding performance is that one usually learns more by doing this. This is learning can help one advance within a company (in terms of responsibility and authority, not necessarily compensation) or obtain a position at another firm.
on October 26, 2016
I purchased this for my son. First book, other than manuals, that he has read in ten years. Arrived in good time and he is 3/4 through it. Each week I hear more about the book.
on July 30, 2015
This book is a must for all levels of job hunters or people with jobs. It has many solid and good recommendations for how to view jobs or potential jobs and how you should balance your life.