Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 278 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 332 reviews
on October 6, 2012
This book is one long love letter to a series that has changed people's lives so much over the past ten years that it has gone beyond a simple fandom and become in many cases, a philosophy, a way of life. Despite lasting only thirteen episodes and one movie, the name Firefly has become synonymous with beautiful things struck down before their time, with an enduring love, and most of all, with a want to live life simply, unfettered by unjust authority.
The book itself is amazing to see. With it's look-a-like leather binding, its large, glossy, full color pages, it looks and feels more like an encyclopedia than a book dedicated to a TV show ten years gone. The physical beauty however is far out-shined by the content contained within. I had never previously seen the three books that have been collected into this one volume, and I have to say, all the information within them is amazing. Having all of the episodes scripts is amazing, made even better by the little side bars in each detailing little know facts about a certain character or scene. They truly make you want to watch all the episodes while following along in the scripts, and seeing if you can spot this or that. The list goes on and on, from closeups of all the shows weapons, props and costumes, to interviews with the cast, and discussions of the inspiration behind certain episodes or scenes, this is now the de facto Browncoat bible.
This book is an amazing addition to any Browncoat collection, be them a hardcore collector, or someone new to the 'Verse who's never flown on a Firefly before. This book is proof that we have done the impossible, and continue to do so, even almost a decade after the airwaves have forgotten Serenity and her crew, and the pitter pater of tiny feet in huge combat boots has since faded into the black; After all, you can never stop the signal.
55 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2012
This is an AMAZING book. It has all 3 visual companions wrapped into one. AND THEN SOME! Much Much more behind the scenes information, facts, stories, even current quotes and stories (from 2012). Plus 9 beautiful high res cast photos (frame-able) and a bank note replica from the show.

If you already own the Firefly Visual Companion 1 & 2 and the Serenity Visual companion, order this as well. Its worth it. i cannot say that enough IT. IS. WORTH. IT.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
This book is a must have for anyone who considers themselves a serious Firefly fan.

It's bound in a sort of brown leatherette. It looks like the Browncoat Bible! This book is a re-working of 3 books; Firefly: The Official Companion (volumes 1 and 2), and Firefly: Still Flying, plus additional material. But having them altogether like this is really special. It's over 500 heavy pages of script, production photos, incredible promotional photos, archival quality images and closeups of props and costumes, development sketches, interviews and quotes from Joss, all of the actors, and many of the production team. And as a bonus in the back pocket a collection of fantastic photos of the stars and even a replica of the Chinese currency as used in the show.

These people really put a lot of thought, time, and dare I say love into creating this book. I am a huge fan of science fiction, as well as film making, conceptual art, prop creation, etc. My favorite coffee table books from my personal collection include From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archive, the Art of Star Trek, the 3 Art of Star Wars books, The Art of The Matrix, the Battlestar Galactica: Creating the Legend prop auction catalog by Propworx, and Star Wars: the Magic of Myth. This new Firefly Celebration ranks right up near the top of the list for me.

This book is beautiful!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2013
This is a book with a very specific audience and designed so that audience would surely love it. In other words, if you're one of the so-called Browncoats, this book is for you (assuming you don't already have the three companion books already since this is somewhat of a repackaging of those three).

The book is done in beautiful brown faux leather and definitely brings to mind one of those great, old world books with the gold embossing, so it's a book you won't be embarrassed to see this on your coffee table, even by your snobbiest of friends. The back of the book is packaged with some exclusive photos and a reproduction of a bank note. The bank note feels cheap yet somewhat like real money, which is odd but kind of makes it my favourite item. The "exclusive" photos have the feel of standard publicity headshots - nothing wrong with these (rather like them, myself) but there's nothing special about them either.

The content is a collection of scripts (where the title of this review was pulled), production content such as costume sketches, interview snippets, various photos, and other bits of interest, all done in glossy paper. It's the sort of thing that, as mentioned, appeals to a very specific target audience, and I can't imagine a Browncoat being unhappy with the amount of depth this adds to a very short-lived show.

Overall, I have nothing bad to say about this except that Amazon can't seem to keep it in stock (my order was almost cancelled before a new shipment came in and the book is now out of stock again). If you don't have the other Firefly companion books, then don't hesitate to get this. If you have the other companion books, the few extra bits aren't worth the cost of the book, and I would not recommend getting this book.
on August 31, 2016
I discovered Firefly very late, and by accident. After watching the series over a two-week period, I ordered this book. I didn't know if I was ready to commit to a 550 page book about a show I'd just found, but I'm very glad I got it. I read it cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides getting the scoop on Firefly, Joss Whedon, the browncoats, etc., I learned a lot about how TV shows are made, including many "background" jobs that I had never heard of. It also taught me some useful terms such as a "hero coat/gun/etc." (the best-quality prop, used for closeups). The book's photos are very high quality and would be useful to anybody making cosplay props. There is also a full script of every show, including translations of all the Chinese. Highly recommended!
on October 4, 2015
I am a Big Bang Theory fan, and when the cast members kept making references to Firefly, I decided to check it out. I was hooked on the show immediately! Then I got my daughter and grandchildren hooked on it as well. This gorgeous book, with its artful layout, gorgeous photos, wealth of details, and cover that imitates soft, tooled leather, is a real treasury of yummy input for the dedicated fan! Fascinating to have the actual shooting scripts reproduced here--you can follow along with the show on DVD, and see where changes were made. The behind-the-scenes info really rounds it out, and the cast bios add even more. I promptly got some yarn and crocheted two Jayne hats, one for me and one for my grandson. He loves it! My daughters, sons-in-law and grandkids are also big fans of the Big Bang Theory, Star Wars, Star Trek, Back to the Future, Harry Potter, Avatar, and much more. We all use the catch phrases, wear the T-shirts and have fun making and sharing things like the Jayne hats, wooden wands, singing "Soft Kitty"....
What generation gap?
on March 11, 2014
Now it's true that this volume contains both the Firefly Companions and Joss Whedon's Still Flying, but since I don't have those books, it was a good opportunity to get them all at once. There's also a fair amount of additional material, and bonus frame-able cast photos.

I really enjoyed reading the episode scripts, especially since some are noticeably different from the final, aired versions and it's always fun to see how scripts evolve. There are hundreds of gorgeous photos of the cast, crew, sets, locations--basically everything you want to see and a few things you didn't think of. And interspersed with scripts, interviews and photos are little bits of trivia, mini-interviews, and reminiscences from the people who made Firefly the legendary classic that it is.

The quality is wonderful, the pages thick and glossy, the cover soft and almost plush. It does weigh several pounds, and that probably has something to do with some reviewers saying that the binding on theirs broke easily or the covers came off. I didn't have any trouble with it, but I've had a lot of experience handling heavy, older books and read it on a pedestal-type book stand to minimize stress on the spine. Lacking that, it's a table-top tome for sure and not meant to stand up to rough handling.
on September 5, 2015
I came to Firefly late after it had been cancelled so I guess I'm more of a "beigecoat." I of course knew of Nathan and I'm not sure how I missed seeing this show. Being addicted to "Castle" and the PR Nathan has done I caught on to Firefly FAST! Ordered the DVDs and became hooked immediatly.

I am a "mature" professional woman and was surprised when I found this book in an Amazon email. What an extraordinary tribute to this wonderful show and cast. I figured after reading the reviews it had been well done, but when I opened the box I was beyond stunned and sat for I don't now how long I sat going through the book. The book itself is beautiful!!! Definitely going on my coffee table. Snippets from cast members and the photos are just beyond anything I would have expected. Not sure why that is, but I've been around long enough to know things like this are not always well done. Well of course, I should have known with Joss Whedon doing this. Shame on me!

Labor Day weekend and I plan on a Firefly marathon!!!!
on November 30, 2014
Bible of the browncoats

The complete chronicles of the beloved series, a boatload of precious inside information, character art, original scripts for all the episodes, drawings, photos, and the most important for me: the stories. Small stories involving the cast, actors and creators alike, from wich a couple may seem insignificant, but these are the little things, that make Firefly so very special. From every page, every little detail, one can easily tell, this was way more than just a show. Friends, family even, a lovely group of people came together to make something extraordinary, and the book reflects this unique aspect perfectly. Beautiful images, all the info you could ever imagine to know about your favorite group of spacebandits, more than 500 pages of absolutely shiny stuff. And the 9 gorgeous photos from the main characters just make me want to take my nonexistent hat off. Every time i'm reading a few pages, i can't help myself, it just puts a smile on my face.

So to all, who might still hesitate to order this fine piece of art, there is simply no reason not to. In case you are still reading my review, it means you love Firefly. So you have to buy the book. Period. It's like owning 500 pages of pure, awesome love for one of the greatest phenomenons ever happened to television.
I bought this on a whim two years ago and it ended up being a conversation starter, debate settler, Shiny coffee table accessory and an utterly awesome autograph book at the 2014 Dallas Comic-Con "Firefly" panel. The leatherette cover is easily cleaned and has withstood countless hands and fingerprints, not to mention being dragged on a two day trek to catch the entire crew in one place one last time. Now...this book resides in a case and I have to buy a second for actual reading and sharing. A must have for the Firefly Obsessed.