Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

First 100 Words
Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
44 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
22 comments| 440 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2018
Gift for my great grandson's first Christmas. A year old January 5th, these are perfect little books for learning basics.
on March 14, 2016
My 2 year old loves this book. It would probably be more educational for a slightly older child, as my son mostly sticks the stickers anywhere. But, he surprising likes to "read' the book too. Nice and big stickers, too!
on June 1, 2017
It's a nice book to teach your kid their first few words. The quality of the pages are good and the pictures are nice. Worth it.
on May 7, 2017
It helps my kid to learn useful and common 100 words. The color of the book is excellent and attractive for kid.
on December 27, 2017
New pictures for the baby who is just starting to recognize things and learning first words and sounds. Our 20 month old grandchild loved this book.
on May 13, 2017
My little man loved it, he's at the stage where he's starting to talk! Just wish the book was slightly bigger.
on May 26, 2017
My grandson loves this book an has learned so much from it. It is cardboard so stands up to yopung children.
on June 28, 2017
GREAT LEARNING BOOK FOR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN. THIS WAS BOUGHT FOR A FAMILY AT CHRISTMAS WHO NEEDED GIFTS.