Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

First 100 Words
Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
366 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
455 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
I purchased this for my daughter's 1st birthday. I absolutely love this book (and so does she). It's the perfect size for her small hands and the pages are extremely easy for her to flip through. This is a huge plus because a lot of board books have pages that stick together and are hard for her to flip through. The pages are thick and strong and the cover is a glossy padded cover that my daughter loves to chew on. This books is perfect for teaching little ones 100 of the most common things around them.

The only con is that there are multiples of some words. For example: one page has "ball" and a few pages later there is "blue ball". It repeats itself for a handful of objects. Not a huge deal, just something to note.

Overall, I highly recommend. Every baby/toddler should have this book in their collection. It's a high quality book that has withstood my rough 14 month old.
7 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
My 15 m.o. son has had the smaller board book version of First 100 Words, First 100 Animals, and First Numbers & Shapes for months now. He loves board books and he really seems to enjoy those books in particular so when I saw the Lift-the-Flap version I knew I had to buy it. Whenever I ask him to bring me a book to read to him, he chooses these books pretty frequently. He also spends a fair amount of time going through them while pointing at each picture and speaking his toddler language to himself. The lift flaps on this book adds another aspect to keep his interest in the book a little longer. These books have held up fairly well to the abuse my toddler has put them through, the pages have been chewed on, pulled on, bent, books have been thrown, yet none are falling apart. I was a little worried about him tearing the flaps (as he's done with other books) but so far they seem to be holding up. I will continue to purchase these.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
13 people found this helpful
on August 22, 2016
I have had this book for the last 6 years. I have had to replace the book once because it is used so incredibly once. I started reading this with my oldest when she hadn't said any words by the time she was a year old. Once we got her autism diagnosis, this is actually one of the 5 books they told us to buy so we can read with her and start working with speech development and recognition and identification of other items. This is great for both receptive and expressive speech development, especially if you read it often. I have 3 girls who all had some speech development issues and this was the first thing that got them saying some words!

I don't typically replace kids books because kids interests change so frequently and/or once the book is needing to be replaced, it usually means that the book has been very well used and read for a long time. This book is one of the three exceptions I have. My youngest is 16 months and has a hearing impairment and this book has even assisted in me helping her learn sign language because I could point to a picture and then sign the name. This book can be for any kid even if they don't have a speech delay because it never hurts to learn new words or improve on the words you already know. If the kid knows the words already you can still work with colors, shapes, collecting information ex) how many animals in the book?, letter identification, the list goes on.
7 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
Top Contributor: Babyon June 14, 2017
Bought this book as it seems to be quite a popular book. The smaller size makes it easy to throw into a diaper bag when on the go. Some of the words repeat and some of the words seem a little difficult to decipher for a toddler's first words...it's hard for my son to tell the difference between the cat and kitty pictures. However, using this book, I realized that my son understood a lot more words than we had given him credit for. It's not his favorite book but it has been useful in taking tally of how he's doing with soaking in new words.
3 people found this helpful
on February 4, 2016
I didn't realize this book is tiny. Also the photos are tiny so my children
do not get into the book they walk away. With tiny photos it's hard to grab
a toddler's attention.
9 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2017
Love this book! It's colorful and durable and it's big! Perfect for a little curious baby or toddler. I've bought this book and several of the other Bright Baby books and I love them all. I bought a bundle of different Bright Baby books for a first birthday gift. Several of the other mommies at the party mentioned how nice it was. And my friend said her son loves them. It's now my signature 1st birthday gift for all of my friends' babies. I even bought a set for my son. He's only 9 months, but he enjoys looking at all the colors. It's also fun for me to teach him about all of the words and images. 5 stars!
3 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Babyon January 4, 2018
I got this for my 18-month toddler. Even though the words bean nothing to him at this point, he loves the stickers and identifying all the objects. It is a great way for him to have fun when I need him to sit still too.

How it is helping my son:
-This book is definitely helping him expand his vocabulary.
-It is also helping him with his hand eye coordination. There are gray shapes corresponding to each sticker to give a clue where the stickers go. I’ve noticed that he is doing better placing the stickers more in line with the gray shape (for example, making sure the leaf of the apple is facing up).

My only wish is that the stickers were thicker or easier to peel off. If he wants to correct the placement, he ends up ripping it.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I bought this book recently because my daughter started falling behind on hitting verbal milestones. It is perfect to help her learn new, simple words and learn to point at pictures. The bright, colorful pages hold my toddler's interest. The book itself is durable and is holding up nicely. I think this would make a nice edition to anyone's library of children's books or would make a great gift for an expecting mom.
2 people found this helpful