GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite

First 100 Words
Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
55 comments| 354 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
33 comments| 445 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
My 15 m.o. son has had the smaller board book version of First 100 Words, First 100 Animals, and First Numbers & Shapes for months now. He loves board books and he really seems to enjoy those books in particular so when I saw the Lift-the-Flap version I knew I had to buy it. Whenever I ask him to bring me a book to read to him, he chooses these books pretty frequently. He also spends a fair amount of time going through them while pointing at each picture and speaking his toddler language to himself. The lift flaps on this book adds another aspect to keep his interest in the book a little longer. These books have held up fairly well to the abuse my toddler has put them through, the pages have been chewed on, pulled on, bent, books have been thrown, yet none are falling apart. I was a little worried about him tearing the flaps (as he's done with other books) but so far they seem to be holding up. I will continue to purchase these.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on December 7, 2017
My two year old love the stickers, but sticker book is a paper book and not a board book. I thought the sticker book would have thick pages like the small board book my son loves, but pages are thin. It's harder for him to turn the pages. My two year old love playing with the stickers, but he doesn't know how to peel the stickers from the page himself. I have to bend the page a little to reveal the sticker's edge so his small chubby hands could peel the sticker. Would have given 5 stars if it was a board book and if stickers were easier for my little one to peel off himself.
review imagereview imagereview image
Bought this book as it seems to be quite a popular book. The smaller size makes it easy to throw into a diaper bag when on the go. Some of the words repeat and some of the words seem a little difficult to decipher for a toddler's first words...it's hard for my son to tell the difference between the cat and kitty pictures. However, using this book, I realized that my son understood a lot more words than we had given him credit for. It's not his favorite book but it has been useful in taking tally of how he's doing with soaking in new words.
I purchased this for my daughter's 1st birthday. I absolutely love this book (and so does she). It's the perfect size for her small hands and the pages are extremely easy for her to flip through. This is a huge plus because a lot of board books have pages that stick together and are hard for her to flip through. The pages are thick and strong and the cover is a glossy padded cover that my daughter loves to chew on. This books is perfect for teaching little ones 100 of the most common things around them.

The only con is that there are multiples of some words. For example: one page has "ball" and a few pages later there is "blue ball". It repeats itself for a handful of objects. Not a huge deal, just something to note.

Overall, I highly recommend. Every baby/toddler should have this book in their collection. It's a high quality book that has withstood my rough 14 month old.
on May 1, 2017
To Roger Priddy: I am a speech therapist who uses this book regularly. I love it. Please make more books like this one using new simple first word pictures. My 2 year olds love this book. All of the other "push button" books make sounds instead of saying the word for the object it matches. I like the buttons to say the name of the object, not make its sound. Please make more. Thank you!!
on February 4, 2016
I didn't realize this book is tiny. Also the photos are tiny so my children
do not get into the book they walk away. With tiny photos it's hard to grab
a toddler's attention.
I bought this book recently because my daughter started falling behind on hitting verbal milestones. It is perfect to help her learn new, simple words and learn to point at pictures. The bright, colorful pages hold my toddler's interest. The book itself is durable and is holding up nicely. I think this would make a nice edition to anyone's library of children's books or would make a great gift for an expecting mom.
on November 26, 2017
After six years...this book is still being used and in good condition. At first I thought this wasn't going to be used much, but I've had three kids and it's helped them to identify, say and even read the first 100 words. (So it grows with them!) The book provides a lot of different subjects such as animals, baby products and vehicles. Your child will be exposed to several words. I'll be saving this book for my grandchildren. The binding it well made and the pages are cardboard. The colors are bright and vivid...eye catching.