BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

First 100 Words
Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
44 comments| 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
22 comments| 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2017
This is my second time buying this book. I had a copy for my oldest child, and now I'm using it with my second child. My pediatrician recommended I get a book like this to help my second child learn some words (she's a bit behind with speaking), and she's loved this. She likes it when I ask her where something is and she can find it and point it out to me. The pictures are big and colorful. I like that the cardboard is thick and sturdy - kids tend to love books to death, and I know this will hold up as well for my second child as it did for my first. We love this book!
on July 24, 2015
This book's nice because it gives you and your partner parental units what words to say with the kid. This book helped us to establish a dictionary for the adults to use and give the kids a bit of consistency. If mommy calls it a bunny, and daddy calls it a rabbit, and grandma calls it a thumper... the kid gets confused.

This is basically a book full of pictures and words. If you can see the cover, that's pretty much what the rest of the book looks like too.
on September 15, 2017
We have spent so much time "reading" this book with our one year olds. It's perfect for teaching words and then developing communication with the baby before they can say all of the words. So amazing to ask, "Where is the cat?" and see them point and show what they know!
on February 3, 2016
Like other reviewers have stated, this book is great for a young child. My wife and I read to my daughter nightly before bed and believe that there is no such thing as too many books. My daughter is at the age where she is a learning sponge and loves games of association. This book has all the elements that a young child likes: bright colors, fun objects, etc but is a step up from the typical shapes and colors you find in many other books. The book also categorizes objects such as animals, vehicles, fruits and veggies. All in all great material for the price.
on September 16, 2017
I bought this book for my 1 year old and she loves it. I gave it 4-stars rather than 5 because some of the pictures seem outdated and a few words in my opinion, are not a child's first 100 (i.e., slippers and Guinea pig). The board book itself is a good size where the child can hold it solo and pages are nice and thick and durable. Great learning tool overall!
on October 10, 2017
Author of this book was recommended by grandson early education teacher he uses actual photos of items you can get other books by author for colors, shapes, numbers just put in search area authors name
on March 14, 2017
One year old LOVES this book. As did our other two kids. I genuinely feel like this book does help them learn words.
on May 14, 2017
My daughter loves this book. She loves the fruit and vegetable page. She is learning a lot