BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

First 100 Words
Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
44 comments| 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
22 comments| 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2017
This book keeps my daughter's attention for so long. She has loved it since she was about 6 months old and she's now 2.5. It's gone from me telling her all the things, to her telling me all the things, to her pointing and quizzing me on what everything is! I love this book!!
on September 16, 2017
I bought this book for my 1 year old and she loves it. I gave it 4-stars rather than 5 because some of the pictures seem outdated and a few words in my opinion, are not a child's first 100 (i.e., slippers and Guinea pig). The board book itself is a good size where the child can hold it solo and pages are nice and thick and durable. Great learning tool overall!
on September 14, 2017
Any Roger Priddy book is worth buying. These books are great for early exposure to reading. My baby loves all of these books and especially enjoyed the lift-the-flap feature in this one.
on December 20, 2016
This is a wonderful learning tool and keeps the little one's attention. We bought this for our baby's first plane ride and kept her busy for about 45 minutes! I will call that a victory. :)
on May 23, 2017
Received Book, Securely Packaged. Love The Colorful Pictures. My Grandson Enjoys Turning, The Tear Resistant Pages. Very Happy With Book.
on April 13, 2017
I love this book. The words and picture are nice, big and bright.. My baby loves it! I love the material that is used to make the book..
on May 3, 2017
Love this book...the pictures are big and colorful and the book is sturdy and built to last. Very happy with this purchase. 5 Stars.
on December 23, 2016
The book arrived quickly and was packaged well. The pages appear to be 1/8 or 1/4" and the printing on the pages is good. I gave it 4 stars because it is smaller than I expected.