Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: First Alert CO600 Plug In Carbon Monoxide Alarm , 120V Ac
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Item Package Quantity: 1|Color: Black|Change

on April 20, 2008
The manual is at [...]

The product is simple and easy to install - just plug it in.

DO NOT LOCATE THIS CO ALARM:
* In garages, kitchens, furnace rooms, or in any extremely dusty,
dirty or greasy areas.
* Closer than 15 feet (4.6 meters) from a furnace or other fuel
burning heat source, or fuel burning appliances like a water heater.
* Within 5 feet (1.5 meters) of any cooking appliance.
* In extremely humid areas. This Alarm should be at least 10 feet (3
meters) from a bath or shower, sauna, humidifier, vaporizer, dishwasher,
laundry room, utility room or other source of high humidity.
* In areas where temperature is colder than 40° F (4° C) or hotter
than 100° F (38° C). These areas include non-airconditioned crawl
spaces, unfinished attics, uninsulated or poorly insulated ceilings,
porches, and garages.
* In turbulent air, like near ceiling fans, heat vents, air conditioners,
fresh air returns, or open windows. Blowing air may prevent CO
from reaching the sensors.
* In direct sunlight.
* In outlets covered by curtains or other obstruction.
1616 comments| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I purchased this alarm to replace an old alarm that began chirping frequently. After taking it outside (on a power cord) where it continued chirping in fresh air I realized it reached end of its life.

This new alarm has a helpful notice right on it which explains what the beeps mean:

1) When everything is working fine and there is no problem it is silent
2) When it detect CO levels it emits 4 beeps pause 4 beeps pause (red light flashes rapidly)
3) When the unit malfunction malfunctions it gives 3 chirps every minute (red light flashes 3 time a minute)
4) When it reaches the end of line if chirps 5 times every minute (red light flashes 5 times a minute)

This unit is light and fairy small (smaller than the unit it replaced) and it is a plug-in only unit (no battery back up). Photo of the alarm next to the ruler attached.

The important notice for installation that CO alarms (unlike smoke alarms) should be installed low in the room. If the detector is placed in a long hallway (more than 40 feet or 12 meters) each end of the hall way should have a detector. They should not be placed near a fan as blowing air could interfere with detection of CO. Putting the detector in direct sun light will shorten its life. Humidity and dusty area also interferes with detection so the alarm should not placed in the bathroom, garages, unfinished attics.

Maintenance: The instructions recommend vacuuming the unit cover once a month using a soft brush attachment. Do NOT perform wet cleaning. It also recommends frequent tests test/silence button. The test emits 4 beeps, pause, 4 beeps, pause sequence for 5-6 seconds. The test is recommended to be performed once a week.

This detector has a 7-year limited warranty, so this is how long I would expect it to last.

You can locate the manual on www firstalert com and look for the model number CO600. This will bring up the product page with 4 tabs: Features, Specification, Download manual, Package image.

Ali Julia review
review image
44 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 6, 2007
I purchased this for my Mom, who has a very low tolerance for any type of electronics that has more than one button. This fits the bill perfectly -- just plug it in, and it works. Other models have more advanced features, such as a digitial display or a batter backup, but if you're looking for simplicity and a low cost, this is a great choice.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2012
We purchased this for our home several years ago. We have a modern home, yet we have a propane oven and heater. We placed this in a strategic location in our home. Last week, a burner on our stove was left on. In the middle of the night this alarm sounded off, and sure enough, upon waking, we all had symptoms of CO2 exposure. Luckily our symptoms were mild, but I can't imagine what would have happened if we didn't have this alarm. So yes, this can happen to anyone, and many household appliances release CO2, so you don't have to have a propane system in your home for this to be an issue, and a simple burner left on can result in tragedy. BUY IT! IT WORKED!
on May 24, 2012
I am part of the contingent who does not need battery backup because none of the conditions exist for me to need it. So, dead battery annoying beep warnings are a thing of the past. And the price is right too. Regarding those who complain about no battery backup and deduct stars...the product does not claim to have a battery backup...it is right there in the description and so at best all that should be noted is that it does not have one. Taking away stars because the alarm does not also brew your coffee in the morning is just plain silly.
on January 6, 2008
I chose this alarm because it was the easiest to use. Just plug it in and that's it. I have a gas fireplace and was told that I needed a carbon monoxide detector. Plugged into a regular outlet, it has a dim light to let you know that it's working and you can test the monitor at any time to make sure it's "alarmed." Hopefully, I'll never have to see how well the monitor works in an emergency but I feel safer knowing that I have one.
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
Greaat I finally found a carbon monoxide alarm without the stupid battery back up. Who needs a battery back up unless you plan to be without power and somehow run your furnace?? Anyway, this one works great so far
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
By "easy installation," they're not kidding: just remove from packaging and plug-in to your wall. We opted for this, rather basic, model over the one with battery backup and/or digital readouts for ease of use. I just wanted something we could set and forget. I like that these units have a built-in 'end of life' feature, that alerts you to when its time to buy a new one (7 years from installation; unit will chirp every minute). There is a faint red light (see pic) that glows behind the "test" tab that shows you the unit has power.
review image
on December 23, 2009
This is the third different model of First Alert Carbon Monoxide Detector which I have purchased. I have never bought anything but First Alert Detectors over the several years I have owned my homes. There has never been a problem with any of them.

I chose to purchase the plug-in model since I only have an oil burner which could produce carbon monoxide. I figured that if the power was out, the oil burner would automatically be out as well. Since I do not have a wood stove or other heating or cooking source of monoxide which may operate without electricity, I did not feel I would need the battery back-up feature.

The only factor which should be reviewed prior to purchasing this model is the status of any state or local ordinance for monoxide detectors. I have noticed that certain states/cities require a battery back-up model in every case. I did see that First Alert offers this model for about $8.00 more.
on January 15, 2014
FAILED after 3 months....all FOUR of them. Sorely disappointed. Spend a little extra $$ and buy a more reliable instrument.