Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: First Alert SA320CN Double Sensor Battery-Powered Smoke and Fire Alarm
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on June 12, 2012
As a professsional firefighter/paramedic for nearly 13 years, I see a lot of fires. I do know that most detectors out there are NOT dual sensor....they are mostly only ionization detectors that detect flame. Remember it's usually not the fire that will kill you, it's the smoke and it's deadly component carbon monoxide that will end your life. Photoelectric detectors detect these smoke particles and alert you.......ionization types rarely do if it's a slow smoldering fire. If your sleeping, by the time the ionization sensors detect the actual flames, the smoke and the CO will most likely have already gotten to you and you will be dead. That's why it's so VERY VERY important to have a dual-sensor smoke detector. This item particular item IS a dual sensor that is designed to alert you to both smoldering low-flame fires and high intensity/ rapid flame fires. This detector will protect you 100% from fire related death/injury if used properly and placed correctly in your home. Remember to replace the battery every time you switch the clock during daylight savings time or any time the detector chirps. Always look for a photoelectric/ionization detector and buy one. Have one in your hallway, in the main living room at the very least and I always like to put one in each room because I am overly cautious. Also make sure to have a B-C extinguisher on hand near the kitchen to put out kitchen grease fires....the #1 cause of residential structure fires. Hopefully you can put a small one out, but if you discharge the entire extinguisher and the fire is not out......evacuate the house immediately and make sure you or someone called 911 prior to exiting your home. Stay safe !
5050 comments| 970 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
After my house filled with smoke and my 2 Kiddie smoke detectors did not alarm, I replaced them with this First Alert model. I had already installed a First Alert SA320CN in the basement when the Kiddie I had there unexpectedly fell on the floor and broke (never did figure out why.)

After the Kiddie alarms failed to work, I tested the First Alert in the basement by starting a smoky fire in a metal container. The First Alert alarmed as expected.

Since my experience with the Kiddie detectors, after installing them, I will test alarms in the future with actual fire & smoke. The little "test" button on the Kiddie detector always worked, but that didn't assure that it would work in an emergency.

Note: the SA320CN has replaced a prior model, SA302, which has been discontinued.
99 comments| 264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
I replaced several battery operated smoke detectors with this model. They were easy to install and are working perfectly. I especially like the feature that will allow me to replace the batteries without removing the unit from the ceiling.
on February 16, 2013
I read many of the reviews for this product. Many were good and many were poor. I took a chance. Bad Idea. This product arrived timely and it was a good price. I installed the item with the batteries that arrived with it. Within less than a couple of weeks it began to chirp. So I replaced the batteries. Less than a month later it began to chirp again. Replaced the batteries one more time and it began to chirp within a week or so. So I called the Mfg to let them know the problem I was having and they honored the warranty on the product. They shipped me another product. I installed it and it began to chirp within two weeks. I called the Mfg back and and told them about the problem I was having. They stated they would send me another unit along with a return label. This was on 1-7-13.... I am still waiting :(....... One other thing about this. The unit I originally recv was mfg in Sept 2012. I had informed the Mfg of this date and had thought it might have been a bad lot number. But the replacement unit they shipped me was also Mfg in Sept 2012. When I called back and asked for another warranty replacement I asked them not to send me one with a Sept 2012 Mfg date.... I am still waiting :(......
33 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2012
Bought from amazon in June 2012.
Came with brand new Energizer batteries and installed them.
Started Chirping in 1 month.
Replaced with brand new Duracell batteries.
Chirping in 1 month.
Replaced again with brand new Duracell batteries.
Chirping in 1 month.
Called BRK (First Alert) customer service. They said to replace only with Energizer batteries and call back if it chirps - huh?
Seems so strange. They are forcing me to buy Energizer batteries and also not willing to replace a defective product (what about the first set that came from Amazon? I told them it was Energizer, but she would not have it. Said I have to buy new ones and do it again).
Nowhere is it advertised that only Energizer batteries are to be used.
Very suspicious of so many positive amazon reviews.
Bad product, Poor customer service.
1818 comments| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2014
I bought six of these in April 2014 and installed four. 4 months later two of the four I installed have gone bad... that's a 50% failure rate! They both started going off with a flashing red LED. Changing the batteries does not help - as soon as new batteries are installed it just starts beeping again. Even worse, when the second unit was going off I pressed the button in to silence the alarm and button broke off! Upon inspection it is secured to the cover by a thin strip of plastic. No wonder it broke! What happened to this company? They used to make good stuff.
on April 22, 2013
I know it works because it began beeping when we were roasting a chicken and the kitchen started to get a little smokey.

But then I found out the one thing I don't like about it - pressing the TEST/SILENCE button only silences it for maybe 10-20 seconds. So of course I had to press it 3 more times, and then finally I had enough and opened the battery door to silence it and disconnect the power (the door is like a little drawer on the side that's easy to open and close).

Note to First Alert: The whole point of a silence button is to PREVENT people from taking out the batteries. So by making the silence last for such a short time, it's pointless. Next time you make a new smoke alarm, make the silence button last for at least a minute or two.
on September 19, 2011
I purchased four of these at once to replace my four aging smoke alarms. I like these units because they are inexpensive, compact, easy to install, they have two methods of detecting fire or smoke, and they run on inexpensive, easy-to-replace AA batteries. (I have never liked 9-volt batteries.) If you need a good, well-rated unit in a stand-alone smoke & fire alarm, this is the one for you. If you need a networked unit, I believe First Alert produces such a unit, but that feature will cost you more. The SA320CN is highly recommended.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2013
I've had 2 of these units. Both of them have had to be replaced within about 2 months of receiving. The first one would just chirp endlessly and was replaced under warranty. The second one would chirp 3 times really fast every minute. It was also replaced under warranty.
on December 21, 2012
Alarm just alerts for no reason. I can't recommend this product. Not sure it's worth the time and effort to return for a new one.