- Paperback: 128 pages
- Publisher: Martingale and Company (December 2005)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1564776204
- ISBN-13: 978-1564776204
- Product Dimensions: 9.7 x 7.5 x 0.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 13.6 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (13 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,542,636 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
First Crochet: Projects for Beginners Paperback – December, 2005
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
About the Author
Home: London, England
Author Lesley Stanfield has worked for many years as a freelance designer of knitting and crochet. She has also worked as an editor for such magazines as Family Circle and Woman.
Top Customer Reviews
There are many cute projects in this book. The instructions are clearly written and there are plenty of color pictures to help along the way. In addition, the front and back flaps of the book list out the basics of crocheting, as a quick reference.
I highly recommend this book, for beginners to learn the basic techiniques, and for more experienced people, for the excellent projects.
I am pretty new to crochet, so I was looking for quick easy projects with great instructions, and this is it! Each project has how-to photos with step by step instructions---awesome for the beginner.
The projects are:
storage bag (very cute!)
baby's garland with teddy bears
hat with brim
MOst of the projects use Debbie Bliss and Jaegar yarns but can easily be substituted.
I have two suggestions for improvements:
(1) Since it's "First Crochet", how about target younger readers?
(2) Go for spiral bound on the next edition. It's more conducive to following step-by-step directions---an ESSENTIAL for all crocheters, especially beginners. Beginning anything can be frustrating. It's new, it's hard, it's time-consuming - but then your guide keeps closing on you...and the frustration builds.
Otherwise--it's a great book for newbies and oldies. Oldies know we still need to practice the basics, and there always seems to be another basic to learn.
There were a couple weaknesses, such as the explanation of gauge and increasing, but I found clear explanations of these in Crochet for Dummies.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
i was disappointed because the advertisement of this book and one titled: First Crochet: Simple Projects for Crocheters(first crafts) are identical; therefore, the pattern i was... Read morePublished 10 months ago by sylvia angermeier
Didn't really care for the choices. Would have liked more choices of afghans. Would have liked different designs. Like shells or zigzag. Patterns.Published on May 20, 2014 by Amazon Customer
I bought the book based on the reviews and I wanted to learn how to crochet during the night time TV watching. Wasn't all to happy to be a couch potato. Read morePublished on April 23, 2014 by Chelsea Parker