Customer Reviews: The First Years True Fit C670 Premier Convertible Car Seat (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon

on February 4, 2012
So, the seat does seem as secure as advertised. It is by far the least "mobile" of the seats I've used, and I've had three kids. By that, I mean that once it's secured, it doesn't really go anywhere. It takes a few installations to get it that way, though, as there are a few quirks of design that make it difficult to get the hang of. We use this seat with a one-year old (rear-facing), so bear that in mind.

First, there is a single strap from the underside of the seat that tightens the chest straps against the baby's chest. The first two or three times you install the seat in the rear-facing position, I almost guarantee you will forget to pull this strap out from between the seats. The result? You'll get the seat completely installed and then have to completely remove it to access the strap -- and the strap is absolutely essential, so you have no choice. Huge pain.

Second, there are two clips -- one on either side of the seat -- that cinch the seatbelt securely to the seat, which is primarily what secures this seat so much better than any other seat out there. These clips are under the seat pad baby will sit on, so they're somewhat inconvenient to access and secure. In essence, they make removal and reinstallation a major chore. As I titled the review, safety vs. installation. Safety is very important for me, but since my wife and I have two vehicles (and I'm not buying another seat at this price), I often have to change this seat between vehicles, and it's not the easiest thing to do.

Third -- and my wife's biggest pet peeve -- is that the five-point harness straps which keep baby secure are constantly getting twisted up. They're not really easy to realign, and it happens about 75% of the time we use the seat. The design of the mechanism which allows for instant, easy adjustment of the straps (convenient only for multiple, different-sized children using the seat, it seems to me) contributes to this, and it drives my wife crazy. I think she regrets the purchase!

That aside, the seat (if installed correctly) is incredibly secure. I personally find the LATCH system less secure than just using the center lap belt, though the LATCH is infinitely more convenient, obviously. I default to the lap belt for this reason. Once you get the hang of the installation quirks (mentioned above), it's only moderately difficult to remove/reinstall. Overall: Not the easiest seat to use, but I value the safety... so I rate it a solid four stars for that reason. I suspect my wife would rate much lower!
on May 25, 2013
I purchased this carseat for my 4 month old this week, who has already grown too tall for his infant seat. We also have an older model that my middle child has been in for a year or two now. I installed the one for my baby on Thursday, and this Saturday we were out and about as a family and were hit out of nowhere by a deer. The deer went through the 4 month old's window, across the back of our minivan, and out our daughter's window. The impact was hard enough that it also shattered our front windshield and even shattered my husband's sunglasses. The car is totalled, but all the kids are safe! I was terrified, but other than a few cuts from broken glass, we are all OK. I am ETERNALLY grateful for the quality of this product! Without it, who knows what could have happend to my kids. I have already placed an order for two more of these carseats to replace those that were in the crash. GREAT product!
on February 22, 2012
We have used this seat now for 9 months and I really like it a lot. There is a little bit of a learning curve with installing it (with latch it is much easier...but our cars are too old to have LATCH). The major problem I had was those dumb plastic 'buttons' that are on the seat belts of our cars...they always seemed to end up right where I needed to lock off the belt! But after some adjustment, I was able to install it fine and get a nice TIGHT install. I LOVE the no-re-thread harness adjuster. So nice. I will say that the strap to tighten the harness is somewhat hard to get to at times, but I can get my fingers in to adjust it okay. It is sometimes hard to pull the strap and make it tighter too, but we manage. We still get a nice tight fit for my son (and we don't adjust the tightness every time he gets in and out...only occasionally). Also, you don't have to unsnap the pads to install it. There are slits in the padding to allow you to pass a seat belt through or to tighten the LATCH straps. It makes it super easy to install.

Another thing to note is that The First Years is replacing our seat themselves. My sons and I were in a very minor fender bender recently in which we were hit from behind. Both my sons' seats needed replacing per the manufacturers (I talked to them personally, although it also mentions this in the instruction books of each seat). My younger son is in a very popular infant seat and they said we need to go through insurance to get reimbursed for the seat. The First Years, however, is sending us a new seat themselves. They want the one that was in the accident back to do testing on it (to see how it held up). They were great to work with on this. I thought this was a very nice thing for the company to do!

I do plan on getting another True Fit Premier for my younger son who is growing rapidly and will probably need one before too long! I just want to know what happened to all the colors/patterns they had...
on October 9, 2013
We moved our daughter to this seat pretty early (5 months); her bucket seat was getting to heavy for me. Installation ease was comparable to installing the Britax Marathon (in Grandma's car) and went faster when we installed the same seat in our second vehicle. The main reasons I purchased this seat were NHTSA's rankings (5 stars for SAFETY, labels, instructions and overall ease of use - better than most seats out there) and the price. I was lucky to catch and Amazon Mom deal and get a price reduction, but I'm so pleased at how much we were able to save over the Britax model we were considering. We're happy with how this seat fits in our vehicles (Kia Sportage and BMW X5). I wish all reviews came with the size car they are installed in!
on November 26, 2012
Finally I have found a car seat that my toddler looks super comfortable in and has high safety ratings. I had originally purchased the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat, but after using it for a few months, I was very disappointed with how my little girls head slumped in the car seat when she slept. The True Fit car seat is much wider, roomier, more padded, and reclines (preventing the head slumping). The instructions for installing are very simple due to the colored labels on the car seat. A big bonus is the fact that you don't have to rethread the harness when adjusting the shoulder height....this saves so much time. And, the padding comes off in a snap....literally. So if the car seat padding gets dirty, just unsnap, wash and snap back on. I'm definitely happy with my purchase.
on February 20, 2014
This seat is large but fits great into my Dodge Avenger. But I don't think more than two car seat would fit into the back seat of the car with this seat. My son is comfortable in it. It is very well built. I researched many seats before purchasing this one. I am extremely satisfied with this seat. I never used it as rear facing so I cannot comment on its use that way but forward facing it is extremely easy to use and adjust. It was very easy to install and well padded. It has plenty of room for my son to grow. We will have many years of use. It is easy to clean the cover, I can atest to that given my son threw up on it. It washed easily and was easy to replace onto the seat again. Of all the car seats I have installed this one is easly installed and adjusted. The instruction manual is easy to read and is stored on the chair. The cup holder is large. Over all I feel safe and happy with this seat for my child.
on December 2, 2012
We had the Chicco KeyFit 30 since my daughter was born & loved it...but she is getting older & we knew it was time to look at the next step in carseats-not necessarily because of her size (she is on the smaller size), but her age. We researched lots of models & took our daughter to sit in different ones as several stores. Our #1 priority was safety ratings. We chose this over the Britax models because of the competitive highway/safety ratings (it seems to run neck & neck with Britax) but has the Anti-Rebound bar feature which First Years seem to be the first to offer. My favorite thing about the carseat is that it's not as huge as the other convertible car seats seem- better for us since as I mentioned, my daughter's size is smaller so she doesn't need one of those enormous carsears & also because I have a 4 door truck which offers decent room but not as much as the backseat of a typical 4-dr car or suv. The "no re-thread" strap adjustment is nice- (as your child gets taller, you just pull the harness straps up with a feature on the back instead of completely un-doing, threading through etc- if you've dealt with carseats before, this will make sense, if you haven't- just know this way is easier). My only complaint is it isn't as easy to adjust the straps from the front when you're putting the child in & out -you have to pull the leftover belt down while pulling up on a little hinge- if you just undo & get your child out without loosening the straps, it won't make a difference (meaning, if you keep it the same all the time) - its a minor inconvenience regardless & once we turn it around front facing, i dont think it will be an issue. In conclusion, I am satisified with this carseat- the tiny inconvenience of the front adjustment strap doesn't outweigh the fact that it gets great safety ratings & is still priced under $250.

*we have had the seat a few months now and the strap adjustment is fine, it's still not as easy as the keyfit was, but I just had to get used to it being slightly different. Still highly recommend after using for awhile. Our daughter seems to like the seat & never complains about her comfort, is happy in the car. When my mom came to visit we did have a lil trouble installing it in her older model explorer at first, but did find it could be done if the seat was put in the middle, it would not work on either passenger side though...just a note, consider what vehicle you have & consider going somewhere that will let you test a carseat model in your car before purchasing. While infant seats seem to fit well in most any vehicle, these convertible seats seem less compatible.
on April 15, 2014
We bought this carseat as a backup/extra seat to have in a car after purchasing the TrueFit SI which we really liked. The fabric material is not as great as the SI one and of course, the headrest attachment is different. It is wide and is less supportive then the SI version. But overall, great seat and less expensive option compared to the SI one. Much of features are the same. Fits nicely in our hatchback sedan. Be aware, it is on the wide side thus takes up quite a bit of room in the car, thus don't expect to squeeze another seat in the backseat if you put this seat in the middle. Child sits in this carseat comfortably as it is nice and roomy. Getting the child in/out of this carseat is not that bad as sides scoop down and not as high (unlike Recaro carseat).
on February 8, 2014
This is my second purchase of the same model car seat, which was purchased for my son now that we've moved him to a front facing car seat. We bought our first one for our daughter and have been unbelievably happy with it. This is, by far and beyond a doubt, the highest quality car seat on the market. The 5-Star crash rating is a definite nice touch. Very comfortable, very stable, and everything is very high quality.

Very easy to install too. I was out of town when this did arrive, so I wasn't able to put it in, but my wife said she had absolutely no issue installing it securely, and she's VERY petite. Though she did say it was a little bit on the heavy side for her, but she didn't have too much trouble overall.

As usual, the shipping was right on time and within the specified dates.

All told, I don't think you'll find a better, safer car seat at ANY price, and the fact that this is so well priced makes it a no-brainer for us. No regrets at all with this purchase. 5 stars all around.
on January 24, 2013
i love this seat! this is the second one we have purchased for my family. it is easy to install and take out when needed. it is a bit bulky but the safety ratings are great. definately one we will keep and recommend to everyone!