Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on November 22, 2007
As my 14 month daughter works on getting the right shape in the right hole. It's true that sometimes she just gets frustrated and picks up the lid and throws the shapes in the bucket instead of sorting them, but when I play with her talk to her and ask her where each shape goes she really focuses and we get them together. She looks so proud of herself when she gets them right, too! But even when she is playing by herself and taking the lid off, it's still a very fun toy for her to put them all in, take them out, and do it all over again!
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2012
So this sorter is okay, but has a MAJOR PROBLEM, fortunately, it is easy to fix.

The major problem is the lid won't stay on, at all. Here is how you fix it:

You will need: 8" of twine or cord, 1 elastic hair band.

Cut the twin in half. Tie one length into a loop with a knot going through the triangle and circle holes.

Loop the hair band in on itself through the twine so they are now connected.

Put the other length of twine through the hair band and blue plastic handle of the base box, and tie it into a loop going through the square and plus holes.

Now the lid is held securely to the box by the tension of the elastic, and can easily be pulled open to removed the shape toys after the child puts them in.

See pictures.
review image review image review image review image
on July 25, 2007
This is a basic, durable, inexpensive toy. However what I don't care for is the fact that the lid doesn't snap on. I'm sure this is that way so babies can take it off, but I prefer the sorter that the child has to put the shapes through the holes. My baby figured out that it was easier to take the lid off! I like the Smartronics cookie jar sorter much better.
33 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2009
My son received this toy as a gift for his 6-month birthday. At the time, I remember hearing about how some plastic toys (often made in China) contain harmful chemicals that are known to cause cancer and feeling concerned that this toy might be one of them. I didn't do anything for awhile, seeing how my son enjoyed playing with the toy and thinking (stupidly) that if this toy were truly harmful, it wouldn't be sold in the U.S.

One day, I came across this toy on Amazon and noticed the warning to CA residents under "Product Details." I couldn't believe it when I read this toy is made with harmful chemicals known to "cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." I bet a lot of people who are giving this toy 5 stars are not aware of the warning.

UPDATE TO REVIEW ON 10-28-09: Amazon has removed the warning about the harmful chemicals, and in response to an inquiry I sent them told me "Product information from the item detail is added or deleted upon manufacturers information." Amazon suggested I contacted FP, which I did, and the FP rep said he couldn't find anything in their records indicating the toy's manufacturing had been changed. The toy's production has not been altered since 2007. He suggested that perhaps the warning wasn't accurate, and that's why it was removed. That may be, but it seems like a pretty big mistake for Amazon to make on multiple FP toys. I see now that none of the FP toys that previously had this warning have it now.

As for my son's reaction to the toy, he liked to bang the pieces together and put them in his mouth, but he never bothered to try to sort the shapes since the top doesn't stay in place, as others have mentioned. My son always removed the top and took out all of the pieces, no matter how many times I showed him how to sort the shapes with the top in place. Talk about poor design! I should have given it 1 star for the "educational" rating in hindsight, but I figured that theoretically it could be of some value if a child didn't remove the top. Also, Amazon wouldn't let me go back and change my ratings.

I just got another shape sorter for him from Amazon (the Tolo Rolling Shape Sorter), and within minutes he tried to put the shapes in the slots because he couldn't remove either the top or the bottom of the unit. Now that's an educational toy!
4949 comments| 672 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2011
I bought this when my daughter was 6 months old. She loved to chew on the blocks. Occasionally, I would try to get her to put the blocks in the bucket and yes she would just rip the yellow lid off. My thought process was she's just a baby and she doesn't have to know her colors and shapes and learning shouldn't be a chore at that age.
Now that she is 2, she likes to put the shapes in bucket with the lid on. She knows the names of all the shapes but doesn't really know the colors just yet. She absorbs so much by interaction and by people saying the words to her. Not drilling her on a formal level, just by playing. You'd be suprised how much better kids will learn if you gave objects a name instead of saying "Pick that up over there, go get that. No not that, that!" Calling objects "that" does not allow children to learn that objects have different names and especially what those names are. I have said, "Where's the triangle? Go get the triangle. Let's put the triangle in this hole." When she was 13 months, half the time I'd have to go pick up the triangle because there were too many things and she didn't know which object the triangle was but eventually she learned it and now she knows which hole the triangle goes in. I'm sure if I was more vocal with colors she would be there too. I'm not too stressed though. She'll learn her colors eventually.
on June 20, 2016
Review on the quality of the toy, not whether the kiddo likes it. Here's a warning and a tip to anyone who washes their kids toys, particularly toys that go in the mouth: the giant decoration on the side of the bucket is a *paper* sticker. Seriously FP? You couldn't use a waterproof decoration? Don't do what I did and dump the bucket into the sink to wash it and promptly screw up the sticker. I'll probably end up scraping off the sticker because the kiddo will likely pick at it if I leave the bubbled-up paper as is. Lovely for a brand new toy she hasn't even touched yet.
on September 22, 2011
With all the recent news about lead, BPA and other harmful chemicals being found in many children's toys, I've been investigating any toy my child has been given. Someone gave my 7 month old this as a gift. It doesn't say "BPA Free" or anything on the box, so I decided to call the company.

Fisher Price has only issued this statement (here's my paraphrase): that BPA is a known carcinogen, and that it is dangerous when food products come in contact with it. Since Fisher Price does not sell any "food storage" items like bottles or nipples, it is not as much of an issue. They do not put BPA in their high chairs, but do use it in their toys.

So, I'm not going to let my son use it....as EVERYTHING ends up in his mouth :)

One good thing I can say about Fisher Price is that it was easy to get ahold of a customer service rep. If this concerns you at all, give them a call, too! The more people who call and say it's important, the more likely they are to change their practices and produce safer toys for our children.
on August 26, 2016
My son loves these blocks! He's 7 months old now but we have been playing with them for over a month now. everything is easy to clean and I also use the bin to transport other toys when we go somewhere.
on August 20, 2014
This little toy should provide a lot of use at our house. Like that it doesn't just provide banging/stacking/throwing like other small objects but will actually be teaching shapes both visually and tactilely as well as the colors. Our little one should know her shapes much sooner with a little encouragement due to this toy. And the price was right. It is not big but then it is designed for little ones
on March 16, 2014
This seems like a fun toy. My child wanted to play with it but its very dangerous. He started playing with around 7-8 months but by 9 1/2 we threw it in the trash. He hurt himself badly on this toy a number of times. Just think about it. A child that's learning to crawl, then stand, then walk falls over a lot, and often lands on his toys. This bucket and blocks are super hard. He banged his face and head many times. When he was crawling they were small bangs but from a standing position onto this really hurt him. I cannot recommend this toy to anyone.