Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Color: Blue|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,238 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 25, 2008
My husband wanted to get our baby a Gloworm. His desire was based on what he remembered of them from many years ago. The current Gloworms are not nearly as nice as they used to be - they play loud music and aren't nearly as cute.

When I found the Soothe and Glow Seahorse I was so happy! Firstly, it's cute, much cuter than the Gloworm models. Secondly, the music and sounds are also much much better - the music is quality and the volume can be adjusted. The sea sounds are a nice touch as well.

Unlike the Gloworm, the Soothe and Glow Seahorse actually does help baby wind down with it's gentle music and ocean sounds. I would recommend this toy any day.
44 comments| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
first let me say that when we purchased this toy for my 8 month old son, we all LOVED it! He took to it immediately, and several times it truly helped him soothe back to sleep! It was living up to all the positive reviews on Amazon. I purchased the toy on Oct. 5, and it needed to have it's batteries replaced for the first time on Nov. 10. I put new batteries in, and WITHOUT EVEN TURNING THE TOY BACK ON a coil behind one of the batteries started glowing and my kitchen was filled with smoke!! I immediately removed the batteries to see where the plastic all around the coil is blackened from being burnt, the coil is black and the toy is toasted (not that I would have trusted putting it back in my son's bed after this experience. I wrote my concern on Fisherprices facebook wall, and they deleted my post (it was not rude, rather concerned and frustrated). I wrote a second time and finally got your generic "please contact customer service" type response. They will be giving a refund and want me to send the toy back, but please beware! I have NEVER had this happen with a toy before, and the fact that it was in my child's bed for over a month scares me. I will be searching for a similar product, but simply CANNOT replace it with the same item - I no longer trust it!
review image
6363 comments| 628 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2008
I purchased this seahorse around January 2008. I almost returned it because, although it's nice that the music plays for around 5 minutes (we timed 6 1/2 minutes), I didn't want to keep it if there wasn't a way to easily turn off the music without it playing all the way through. There is no mention anywhere on the box or in the manual that you can turn off the music other than by going inside the velcro and turning off the on/off switch (and who would want to do that and wake up the sleeping baby with the loud velcro?) Then, by accident, we found that if you press and hold the seahorse's chest for several seconds the music will gently fade and turn off. I called Fisher-Price and let them know so hopefully they'll add this information to the box and manual soon. It's a bit "head heavy" which makes it a little hard to handle. It's not machine washable like the original Gloworm, only "surface washable". Great product overall. It's so darn cute.
99 comments| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
She likes the night light and the songs. It has a "quiet" and "loud" option. The "loud" option might be a bit too loud for something you are cuddling with but the "quiet" on isn't. It's not too hard or to easy to push the belly to start. 5 min is just perfect because you can always go again. A switch for light only and/ or music only would be handy if the mfg was ever to redesign it.

****UPDATE***** VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!! Everything was fine & dandy until we had to change batteries. First-the batteries are located in the seahorses' head which the access slot in the plush fur does not actually access to. After a lot of stretching-we got to the panel and there are two teeny little screws that need a special Phillips head screwdriver to access. Fortunately-I have one of those. I got the panel off and when you are looking at it there are two batteries,one on top of the other on the left, and one on the right. the right one was very easy to pop out but the left were really tight. Even with the pull cord, the top one came out eventually but the bottom one came out only with a lot on manhandling and the top battery's spring was bent when it did come out. (remember, I was working in a tiny space since the plush fur was still in my way) I got the spring back into position and got the battery replaced but when I put the second battery in, it arced and the whole thing went up in smoke...YES!!! IT WAS ON FIRE!!!
Now, as bummed as my kid was not to have her seahorse that night, I have decided that if it could blow up that fast with just a battery change-why would I buy another one and put it in bed with her? Until they redesign the battery compartment I would no longer recommend this to anyone. Like most parents, I change a lot of batteries and this is the only product I have had problems accessing and the only one that caught fire.
on February 23, 2014
This was a cute toy, no problems at all for several months. Then all of a sudden I noticed complaints popping up on my facebook feed about this very toy... apparently the battery pack had been smoking, coils turning red, and so forth. So I took this out of my daughters crib and opened the battery pack to find that the insides had melted and the batteries were all busted. I knew it hadn't worked for a while but I just thought the batteries had died. THIS SHOULD BE RECALLED! I am appalled that Fisher-Price hasn't addressed this. As many complaints as I've seen, this isn't just a random thing, something is wrong with this toy design.
on January 7, 2016
Oh Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse how I love you, let me count the ways. Seriously, this was my daughter’s constant companion until she was about 9 months old. It always calmed her down when she was fussy and she loved watching the stomach glow. I thought that the light from the glowing stomach might bother her, but it never did. It was easy to clean and took a lot of abuse without so much as a single thread coming loose. My mom always laughed at the music and called it the church seahorse, and I will admit that the soft music does sound like subdued church music, but my daughter certainly wasn’t bothered by the lack of catchy tunes. Also, a word to the wise, change the battery the moment that the music starts to drag or sound remotely out of tune. If you let it go for too long it sounds like demented carnival music from a horror film.

I loved this seahorse so much that I have purchased no fewer than 4 as baby shower presents. I also bought one for the 5-month-old grandson of a friend who had to have a hole in his heart repaired. His grandmother told me that it was one of the few things that would calm him down while he was recovering from the surgery. I was so upset when they stopped carrying these at our local Babies ‘R’ Us stores and started carrying what Fisher Price has decided to replace the seahorse with, the Soothe and Glow Giraffe. I purchased a giraffe once because I was in a bind and didn’t have time to wait for the seahorse to be delivered. I was definitely not impressed with the Giraffe. It plays the same music but it isn’t nearly as soft and cuddly as it is made of an almost felt like material instead of the soft plush covering on the seahorse. I am going to order another one soon to have on hand when we have baby #2 just in case this one goes out of stock. My two-year-old still drags it out of her toy chest to sleep with every once in awhile. Essentially, I can’t recommend this toy enough.
review image review image
on November 18, 2013
We love this toy. We had two copies of it, one that is 1 year old and a second one which is 2 year old (so we can take one on a trip or to grandma's house without fear of forgetting it).

Does a house have to burn down before they recall this thing? The fact that several reviews have said that using rechargeables leads to smoke and eventual sparking/burning makes this a repeatable error. We tried a rechargeable battery in the first seahorse and it smoked within seconds of putting it in and turning it on. Figuring we just had a one-off, we tossed that one and continued using the second one with alkaline batteries (after testing it extensively). However, just recently my husband forgot and put in another rechargeable battery (which was different from the first ones that caused the first seahorse to smoke). A repeat performance of smoke and sparks. We plan to file a report and I am really shocked how they can recall strollers for a low handle bar and turn a blind eye to this toy that may burn your house and loved ones down.

They should have made it into a ladybug to go with that song which goes "Fly away ladybug, fly away home: your house is on fire and your children will burn."
on December 21, 2012
The battery chamber began smoking and sparking when I changed the batteries for the first time. I double checked to make sure that I had installed the batteries properly and I had. The whole battery chamber was melted. I can only imagine if this had happened while it was in my son's crib. I immediately reported it to both the manufacturer and the consumer safety commission.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
Why has Amazon not notified everyone who purchased this toy thru them of the dangers of the battery catching fire?
on November 18, 2015
This toy is cute and the body is soft with the exception of the light up belly which is a soft plastic. The music and light are soft and soothing. The back has a velcro opening with the battery and on/off switch inside. When the switch is in the on position you can gently press the seahorse's belly to turn on the music and light. The only thing I would change about this toy is I would like a volume control as well as an option for music/lights and music only/lights only.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.