Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Precious Planet Melodies and Motion Soother (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

on August 13, 2009
I have bought many things from Amazon over the years but have never felt the need to rate an item until now. This product is simply FANTASTIC!!!!! I have a 4 month old, and she is my first baby. I picked this up at Target a couple of days ago as an impulse buy - and I'm so glad that I did.

My husband and I had received many many many things prior to the baby being born so we as new parents had to 'trial and error' all the new stuff as well as get to know what it was like being a Mom/Dad. Let me tell you - when you put the baby to sleep either for a nap or for their bedtime normally they listen/ watch the mobile or have something similar attached to the crib. (We have the mobile AND an octopus thingy that plays a lullaby). The annoying thing with these are that you have to stand there and keep winding them back up or pulling the cord on the toy again. This wakes up the baby - not to mention that they don't last very long!! I know I have stood by the crib (exhausted) many nights having to pull the cord up to 5 or 6 times before she dozes off. The Precious Planet M&M Soother only needs you to push the button once, it lasts a LONG time. YAYYY!!! Also it has 3 different volume settings as well as 3 different types of sleepy time sounds: lullabies, classical music, and nature sounds! (I'm quite fond of the classical one). It also lights up and the animals move around slowly as to not overly stimulate the baby at bedtime. You have the option of it playing music without the lights as well.

Take my (new) motherly recommendation.... Don't bother with buying a mobile - they are cute, but useless. All you need is this product. I absolutely love it and only wish I would have found it sooner. Get it, it's worth every penny!
on October 5, 2009
My older son (24 mos.) has the Rainforest Soother in his crib and loves it. When my second son was born (now 11 mos.), I wanted a similar item for him. After trying the Baby Einstein version of the soother, which broke after 3 months (and the Baby Einstein company ignored my emails regarding repair), I chose the Precious Planet soother. It is absolutely adorable! It has great volume control, though not as many light/sound/movement combos as the Rainforest Soother. My big complaint is that the polar bear makes a grinding noise as it moves up and down. I tried three different soothers and they all did the same thing. I got tired of making exchanges at the store and gave up. The gear grinding noise doesn't seem to bother my son, but it drives me nuts. I have come to expect a certain quality from Fisher Price and unfortunately this item doesn't live up to that. Still, it is extremely cute. The grinding seems like it would be an easy fix, so hopefully FP can fix it for future models.
on November 24, 2009
No, this soother is not perfect but it puts my daughter to sleep which overrides all of it's faults in my book. I currently use the music only function while I nurse her and lay her in her crib. She has put herself to sleep in her crib every night since we started this routine. I anticipate we'll use the full functionality (motion, lights, music) of this soother once she's a bit older. Most of my issues relate to the motion mode so I may change my mind down the road!

The issues:
-When the polar bears cycle around the machine makes an annoying mechanical noise. I hear it but I'm not sure if my daughter notices and/or cares.
-The light is pretty bright in a dark room. My daughter squints at the harsh light when it's turned on.
-No, it will not play for 18 minutes if you have it on the music, lights and motion mode. The 18 minutes is for the music only mode.
-The buttons to start up the music (to the right of the lion) aren't easy for an older baby to press and start it up on his/her own.

In summary, I find some of the features annoying but it puts her to sleep so who am I to complain?! If baby's happy, mama's happy!
on March 30, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the grinding gear noise from the lion when he moves up and down. Maybe the company fixed it? I ordered this recently and found that it is very quiet with the moving parts and don't hear grinding at all. I love the fact that I have 2 different settings for music choices as well as as nature "white noise" setting. He loves all of them. The classical setting has one song that seems to get louder and louder at one part, so I tend to skip that setting when my baby is trying to go to sleep. The lullibies and white noise are perfect, however. I like that I have the option of either playing the music by itself or with the lights and sound. The lights are not too bright like some other products. I really like this and would recommend it.
on December 30, 2011
Wife purchased for Christmas for our 3 month old. Expecting 18 minutes of soothing music, lights, and motion.

Our 3 month old loves the music, lights, and motion, but it only lasts about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, it takes longer to sooth her.

Is there a competitive product that lasts longe than 5 minutes?
on December 17, 2009
Surprised at how much I like this for my daughter. I also have the rainforest version for our son, which I thought was tough to beat, but I actually like the song choices better on this one and the animals are adorable too. Good purchase!
on March 6, 2011
The product is great. My daughter loves it. I bought an identical one for her crib at day care. My only criticism, and it is huge, is that the timer is very, very short. She is never asleep when it turns off, and then she gets mad. Unless I am right by the crib to press the button again, she is in a fit that I have to then calm her back down. The Cloud B products (Sleep Sheep, Dozy Dolphin, etc.) have far, far longer timers (23 & 45 minutes). I doubt this one lasts more than 5-7 minutes, which is nowhere near long enough to soothe my daughter to sleep. I hope in the next version they will extend the play time or have a timer override that lets you just leave it on until you want it off.
on January 13, 2011
This is a cute soother, adorable little animals and nice soft music. My complaint is that while the package reads "Set it to play for up to 18 minutes"... that's very misleading. First of all, you can't "set" it for anything - you don't control the time no matter what. And the 18 minutes part... ONLY if you switch it to just play the music (or nature sounds). If you run it with the lights and motion, you get 6 minutes (yep, I timed it!). Which is really a joke.

Other than that, it's cute, it attaches easy, and I don't find the gear noise bothersome at all (if anything, it's added white noise!).

It seems like the other versions of the Fisher Price soothers were better (see all the comments), my older son had the Ocean Wonders original version (not the second or third version) and that one, you can't set a timer but you can set a number of things - music only, motion only, lights only, and 4 different types of melodies/ocean sound. (but yowza you should hear the creaky gears on that one!) I do wish this one had a motion only or a lights only option.
on March 3, 2010
My baby absolutely loves this!!! It helps soothe him, entertain him, and even helps him fall asleep!!!!! Got this as a baby shower gift and I must say it was one of the best gifts he got!!!
on February 24, 2011
The description says that it plays up to 18 minutes, but this is true when listening to music only - when using lights and/or motion it will only run for four minutes after which it will automatically shut down. Obviously, unless your child falls asleep in four or fewer minutes this product is totally useless. Furthermore, this soother has fewer features than those sold for approximately the same price five or six years ago. Rather than make a quality product, Fisher Price has elected to give you a cheaper product for the same price. Cheapness seems to be the only attribute American companies are after these days.