Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Rainforest Melodies and Lights Deluxe Gym
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 30, 2008
I have twins, and bought two playmats - this one and the Tiny Love. I have to say the Tiny Love wins hands-down, though this one does have some nice features. I would give it 5 stars if it only had more toys on it to hold baby's attention, but it is very sparsely populated in the toy department.

Pros:

has nice music and a couple of flashing lights

has a detachable monkey which the babies LOVE - they try to eat him every chance they get

babies also like the elephant rattle and spinning wheel toy

babies like looking at the playmat animals during tummy time - very cute design!

Cons:

There definitely aren't enough toys on this! If they don't want to include more toys, at least include enough toy holders so you can add your own.

The toys that are included aren't all that interesting, with the exception of the three I mentioned.

The mirror on the giraffe points in the wrong direction - not toward the center of the mat as in the ad, but parallel with the edge, a position in which the baby would never be. I have to hold the mirror for baby to see herself during tummy time. No way to get it to point in the right direction.

To my horror, I turned around to see baby holding the mirror that had fallen out of the red frame and was about to chomp down - it's a thin, very sharp disc. Baby would easily have cut herself. It's constantly falling out - I've had to restick that $@#! thing a dozen times and watch the babies like a hawk. I've tried to glue it in, but need stronger glue I suppose.

The butterflies at the top should spin - seems like they are supposed to spin, since they are on a mobile that rotates - but they do nothing, and are too high up for babies to reach. Are we supposed to spin it for the babies? It's in an awkward position for this. Maybe mine is broken.

Overall I'd say this is cute, but kind of worthless overall and expensive. There are much better playmats out there. I have the rainforest bouncy seat which the girls absolutely love, which is why I bought this playmat, but now wish I hadn't.
99 comments| 283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2009
My daughter loves this product. At first she laid there and looked at the lights and the she started hitting the toys, which eventually turned into grabbing them. Now at three months she is turning ove on her side to get to the toys better, she is almost turning over.
66 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2007
My baby has been fascinated with the lights and hanging animals since 6 weeks. Nice music- more upbeat songs for when active, and quieter rainforest sounds for when getting sleepy.
on December 28, 2015
I bought this because a few years back a friend had the same one and it was great, cute, and good quality. Well, they must have changed their production standards because the one I got is just awful! It seems that no matter how I try to position the legs they're always skewed a little, the mat never flattens out on the ground because the legs don't spread out enough nor do they hold it in place, and in general it just doesn't stay put. After its been out for a little bit it just has the general look of being in a perpetual state of about to fall over. I'm so disappointed and I hate putting my baby in this thing. For the price this was a huge disappointment. I will add photos when I can get on my laptop to do so.
review image review image review image review image
on July 1, 2009
This toy looks great and my son enjoyed playing with it until I checked it out on Healthytoys.org and found that it contains the flame retardant and toxin bromine. This is very unfortunate since the chemical can cause nervous system and thyroid damage. I will not purchase anything now without making sure it has been tested to be safe. Fisher-Price denies that there baby products contain flame retardants but there 9 test done on different parts of this product by Healthytoys.org and all showed that it contains bromine. Mattel who owns Fisher-Price was recently fined for distributing toys that contain lead: [...]
2626 comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2007
My son has been using this playmat since he was 2 months old. He is now 7 months and still reaches for it daily. He has learned to flip it over so he can reach the higher toys. I have yet to replace the batteries and everything still works great. The music plays for quite a while so you don'thave to keep running over to restart it. My son also loves the crinkle leaf and zebra tail on the mat itself. Since he has been rollling over, he can now chew on them and it is one more thing to keep him occupied! I highly recommend this line of products!
55 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2011
Filipe is only 45 days old but he loves his baby gym.
review image review image
on October 6, 2011
Last month I would have given this product 5 stars because my son loves it, however we recently found out that the spinning parrot toy is quite dangerous. Now that my son's five months old he can reach the toys better. He was happily playing on the mat until I heard him screaming. Upon checking on him I saw his wrist stuck in this toy and it started turning purple. Thank goodness he let me know he was hurting otherwise who knows what damage could have resulted to his hand with decreased circulation.
on April 25, 2016
This gym is great - my baby loved it from about 4-9 months. At 9 months, we decided it was time to retire it. I had saved the clear plastic bag for NINE months just to store it in. However, After several attempts, I realized it wasn't able to be taken apart like it was assembled. Google search = nothing. So I ended up taking it apart myself. See my instructions if you want to do it as well. Hope this helps someone! Some of the pictures are post-taking apart since I wasn't planning on doing a tutorial from the beginning.
(see photo as well)
Tools needed: Flathead & Phillips screwdriver. Patience. Finesse.
1. Open the electronic box by unscrewing all screws on bottom (7 total)
2. Remove the smaller butterfly arch by prying open the white arms in the center using a screwdriver and yanking it out. This is very difficult. It'll take some finesse.
3. Remove the other arch (the one with the giraffe) by unscrewing the white plastic piece on the sides where the arch is hooked into. The arch will still be attached. Just remove the white plastic piece (2 screws) on each side.
4. Next you will need to remove the white plastic piece from the actual arch. I used a flathead screwdriver bit to jam/squeeze in between 2 of the sides (see photo). This loosened the whole thing enough I was able to pull it off.
5. Repeat on other side.
6. You need to re-attach the plastic piece to the electronic box by screwing it back in. Make sure that the 1 slit side is ON TOP or else you won't be able to close the electronic box fully.
7. Close the electronic box by screwing it back together. Remove the batteries for storage. Sit back and gloat to Fisher Price that you were able to disassemble it even though they obviously didn't want you to be able to.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 24, 2012
We bought this gym for our 2 month old son and he absolutely loves "playing in the jungle!" Between the flashing lights, the music and the hanging toys, he's got plenty to keep him busy. Although it seems early, I'm pretty sure he's already figured out which toy rattles when it's hit and he bonks it to hear the noise! He "dances" and coos and looks at everything. I'm just so happy with this purchase. It was $30 cheaper on Amazon than the local stores too!
review image