Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,587 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,319 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 9, 2011
Update November 2012: There's a newer Fitbit out -- the Fitbit One! You can check out my video review by cutting and pasting this link into your browser:

I purchased the original Fitbit (now referred to as the Fitbit Classic) only to have the company roll out the Fitbit Ultra a couple of days later. The overlap between the two devices has given me a great opportunity to experience both and know what's different about this one.

How both Fitbits Work: You have a few choices on where to wear the Fitbit (typically waist, pocket, chest pocket or bra), and you keep that Fitbit on you for 24 hours. There's another piece that can be attached to the Fitbit if you have thicker clothing on in order not to spread the Fitbit apart too far and damage it. Every time you're within 15-ft range of your WiFi base station plugged into your computer, the Fitbit attempts to upload your data. After an upload it then doesn't try again for another 15 minutes. You can force an update by placing your Fitbit actually on the base. This is also the way you charge the Fitbit.

Speaking of the charge, it is fast and lasts days, maybe even weeks. Many choose to charge the Fitbit in the base while they're in the shower. Since I work at the computer, I just take it off once a day or so and rest it in the base until I'm ready to get up and go do something.

I should also mention installing and pairing the device is hassle-free. The instructions are clear. You download the software from their web site. Pairing the device with the software on your computer is a piece of cake. It's also easy enough to do if you have a replacement Fitbit you're installing. Just right-click on Account Setup in the system tray, and the Fitbit guides you through the quick process.

What will the Fitbit Ultra do? The Fitbit Ultra is a very accurate step counter. It also shows calories burned and distance walked. There's a cute (not too girly, guys) flower that you make "grow" the more activity you do. And it tracks your sleep. You have a little Velcro wrist band (perfect size for women and men) with a pocket. At night, you slip the Fitbit into the pocket and press and hold the button, which puts the Fitbit in sleep mode. You have a choice between normal and sensitive setting, adjustable from the web site.

The sleep was something I thought would be kind of gimmicky and not really that important to me. Boy was I wrong. I really enjoy seeing how many times I wake up during the night and if there's that typical 90-minute cycle of sleep reflected or if I barely moved at all. On the web site, this information is reflected as a sleep efficiency percentage. Now, it's not extremely accurate, because Fitbit doesn't know the difference between your lying there still and your being asleep. However, you'll probably realize soon that if you're lying there, reading a book, just move your hand every one in a while. Later, in the morning, you can adjust your sleep times through the web site to cut off any unnecessary activity at the beginning.

What is Fitbit Not Good at? It's very step-oriented, so that means it's not going to accurately record your use of an elliptical machine, Pilates, weight lifting, rowing machine, swimming (don't get it wet!) or anything else that doesn't result in a typical stepping motion. However, you can manually record these activities on the web site, and it will overwrite the data for that period of time.

New to this version:
---It will also count stairs climbed (hills count) and translate those into floors. It's just one more way to challenge yourself. On the web site you can earn badges for how many stairs and floors you've climbed. The site also gives you interesting little messages about what that climbing equals, such as "you've just climbed the world's tallest snowman," and if you're the curious type, you can click the message to learn more.
---You've got a clock! Since I almost always have a phone on me, I underestimated how much I was going to enjoy this feature. It's so much easier and to just press a button at your waist and look down to see the time.
---There's a stopwatch. Training for a race? Just trying to beat your previous times? You can use the stopwatch to record an activity.
---Righty and lefty friendly. I'm right-handed, but I like to wear the Fitbit at the left side of my waist. The words were backwards, but I learned that through the web site I could change the direction of the words.
---Give it a name. You have 8 characters to input a name or other info. That's not enough for a full phone number with area code. However, you if you search the Internet for "short email address," there are a number of email address services that would fit that 8-character allotment and allow you to forward any email to your regular email address. This might come in handy if you (heaven forbid) were to lose your Fitbit.
---Friendly little chatter. So you're sitting on the sofa and you realize you should really get up and move your body. You stand up, and a blinked message catches your eye: GO GO GO or Hello! or I like you. You're bonding already, and the feeling is mutual. And if it isn't, you can disable this from the web site. You can actually disable any of the features you don't want to see on your Fitbit.

With either version of the Fitbit, you get a great web site with plenty of features to keep you busy. Track your nutrition, specific activities (like swimming, weight lifting or yoga) that aren't reflected well on Fitbit (you cannot expose it to water). Monitor your weight, blood pressure, glucose, fat, and more. With the free version, you have one customizable tracker as well. Wanting even more motivation, you can upgrade to their Premium plan for 50 bucks a year and get more detailed records on how you compare against your peers, your records over time, unlimited number of customizable trackers, and my personal favorite -- the Trainer. The Trainer looks at your history and devises a plan to slowly increase your activity. It's just a slow, steady increase that you'll barely notice at all, and over time, those are the kinds of changes that last. After a week, the Trainer noted I was exceeding its plan for me, so it asked me if I wanted to ramp up a little faster. I loved the choice!

If you're debating, I'll tell you this. The device has made me more aware of my activity (or inactivity) and pushes me to do more. It becomes rather addictive to hit those marks and have those successes daily. I'm moving more and losing weight. I'm drinking more water, as that's also tracked on the web site. Fitbit just makes you more aware in general. I don't think money is ever wasted if it makes you more active and healthy and you use whatever it is you buy (be it a gym membership or a Fitbit).

If you have a now Fitbit Classic and are wondering whether to upgrade, I'll tell you that I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like some of the features. Some things I felt that I could take or leave ended up being my favorite -- such as the clock. Also know that the color of blue in the Fitbit Ultra is not the same as the sort of teal color of the Fitbit Classic. It's not better or worse, but different.

In summary, I highly recommend this Fitbit Ultra, whether you're new to Fitbit or considering upgrading. It's well worth the money. In the meantime, you don't have to own a Fitbit to be able to use the web site. If you're on the fence, why not join the web site and start recording things like your weight and get active in the Community forum? That will get you a feel for how things work and how Fitbit might be life changing for you as well.

p.s. If/when you do take the plunge, I highly recommend ordering this inexpensive lanyard Safety Leash for Pedometer (1) Unit. Helps Save Pedometers From Loss and Misplacing and Not Lose Them While Running or Walking and Exercising. Too many users have horror stories of losing their Fitbits, drowning them in toilets and oceans, etc. Both items work very well together and provide peace of mind.

UPDATE September 20, 2012:
I wanted to let any readers know that Fitbit is coming out with TWO new trackers that are currently in preorder, due to be released in mid-October, so you may want to hold off on this purchase and get the new model that has more features.

So almost a year later, this remains one of the best purchases I've ever made. And no, I've still not received anything from the company for my reviews -- I'm just an enthusiastic customer. I have lost around 30 pounds since I received my Fitbit. Although that lanyard seemed to be a really important thing, I'm pretty careful, so I eventually quit using the lanyard. I have had some close calls, but so far the Fitbit hasn't been flushed, laundered or otherwise lost.

Things I'm finding I haven't gotten the use from: The Premium membership. Some people swear by this. I thought it was pretty cool at first, but then my life became busier and I didn't have time to get the use out of this feature. Food logging is good but still inferior to some popular apps (like Calorie Countery by MyNetDiary) that aren't yet integrated. I haven't found an easier way to log nutrition than use a smartphone to scan the barcode on a product, and Fitbit doesn't yet have this capability. It also doesn't have the database of foods that some other apps have.

Mostly, I attribute the weight loss to gradual life changes of eating less and moving more PLUS Fitbit making me more aware of movement or lack thereof. It feels good to set a daily step goal (even if less than 10,000) and reach it. It's not been a fast way to weight loss, but it's been one of the sanest, and hopefully lasting, ways. I've rewarded myself by going ahead and preordering the Fitbit One and am looking forward to reviewing it.

UPDATE November 7, 2012: If you found this review helpful, you can check out my review of the new Fitbit One here:

review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,509 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
I was an avid user of the bodymedia bodybug (now named the "Armband Advantage") for the past year. When it came time to renew my bodybug subscription at $9.95 a month, I did a little shopping around and opted to pay $100 for the fitbit with no subscription. Be forewarned that I can't really sing the praises of the fitbit without comparing it to the bodybug.

PROs

- LIGHTWEIGHT AND SMALL. It is MUCH easier to inconspicuously wear the fitbit than the bodybug. I'm looking forward to wearing tank tops this summer without having a conspicuous armband on. It was fine for bumming around and shopping; people would ask me about it and I didn't mind answering questions. But when it came to going out at night or attending weddings in sleeveless dresses, I was forced to leave the bodybug at home. Sometimes I'd pop it out of the armband and put it in my bra, but even that was sometimes a challenge. The fitbit easily clips on my bra with no bulges or discomfort.

- NO BEEPS OR SOUNDS. The bodybug made 3 beeps any time it made contact with your body for the first time, or if it lost contact with your body. Kinda embarrassing if you're in a quiet atmosphere.

- COMFORTABLE. Fitbit doesn't sit against your skin, so it's much more comfortable. I don't care what bodymedia says, it's not always comfortable to have a sweaty piece of plastic against your skin all day. (In their instructions they recommend you take it off for an hour a day, so no calorie tracking on the bodybugg for that time period).

- AFFORDABLE. The unit itself is about half the price of bodybugg. As for the online data, the graphs and info on fitbit.com are comparable, if not better than those on bodymedia.com; with no monthly subscription needed (saving you about $10 a month). You can buy the 'premium' fitbit access for $49 a year (still less than half the price of bodymedia.com), but I find the charts on fitbit.com are fine for my needs. Charts show activity throughout the day in 5-minute increments. The one thing that it doesn't offer is the ability to see how many calories you burned for a specific time period. Bodymedia.com allows you to drag your mouse across the graphs to hone in on certain time frames (i.e. show me the total calories burned from 3pm to 3:30pm). But you can a) add it up manually (mouse over the bars in the chart for each 5-minute increment between 3pm and 3:30pm. A popup shows the number of burned calories/steps, etc. during each 5-minute increment) or b) use the recording feature mentioned below.

- EASY TO TRACK WORKOUTS. Fitbit has a small button that is pretty much a stopwatch, but works well in tracking workouts and sleep. Press and hold the button for a few seconds to start the stopwatch/"recording" and press again to stop it. The duration of the activity will be displayed on your activity log on Fitbit.com. If it's during the day, fitbit assumes it's a workout. If it's at night, fitbit assumes it's sleeping (but you can manually change it). To make a short story long, I use this feature for my workouts and I can easily see data just for the workout session. In comparison, Bodybugg didn't have this feature. I had to take note of what time I started and stopped my workout, then use my mouse to "hone in" on that time frame in the graph in order see the calorie burn.

- WIRELESS. I love the wireless functionality. If I'm within 15 feet of my laptop, data is automatically uploaded. Bodybugg has this functionality, too, but I had the version that you have to pop out of the armband and connect via USB to your computer.

- ACCURATE. The fitbit is every bit as accurate as the bodybug. I do the elliptical machine and clip fitbit onto my sock. I've gotten good results doing this. There's a lot of hype that bodybug has "4 different sensors," but I'm not convinced that 4 are any better than the 2 in the fitbit. As far as I can tell, the bodybug only uses accelerometer data for its calcs. Anyway, the fitbit is just as accurate.

- INTERACTIVE. Love that you can personalize a message to show up on the fitbit. In addition to displaying your personal message, random fitbit messages like "Vamos!" or "Walk Me" are displayed randomly. Too cute! I also like getting weekly emails that show me my progress or congratulate me on certain achievements (10000 steps, 10 flights of stairs, etc.)

- DISPLAY IS ON THE UNIT. Unlike Bodybugg, which is kind of a 'black box' until you sync it to your computer, you can push the button on your fitbit at any time and see all the data for that day (steps, calories, miles, stairs, etc.). I found this to be very handy when it's getting towards midnight and I need to get more steps in. I just walk around my apartment, then check the display to see if I've met my goal. Also has a clock, which is nice.

CONs

- SMALL. Okay, if I HAVE to pick a con, it's that it takes some time to get in the habit of taking the fitbit off one set of clothes and putting them on another. In the beginning I'd change clothes to go out, only to later remember that my fitbit was clipped on the first outfit. I can definitely see how people have accidentally washed their fitbits. No biggy.

- NO DATA EXPORT. You can't export your data from the fitbit site unless you buy the premium access. Not a deal breaker for me (and premium access is still cheaper than bodymedia anyway).

- DAILY DATA DOESN'T RESET UNTIL YOU SYNC IT. I haven't fully tested this, but there was a 2-day period where I was traveling and unable to sync to my computer. I noticed that the data on the second day looked pretty high, so I assume it was still counting from the day before. Everything was fine in the online dashboard once I synced it. Not a big deal for me.

SUMMARY: Any pedometer or similar tool will be a great asset to any fitness program. I find myself wanting to take extra steps and take the stairs just to get "credit" for them in my daily tallies. I think fitbit is an affordable and easy tool to use. Hope this helps!

UPDATE June 2012: NEW "PRO:" Two of my family members now have fitbits so we can compete against each other on the website. I see my ranking in steps, activity level & distance. I got one for my mom 'cuz I figured she'd be easy to beat, and she beats me everyday! As such, I'm trying to up my steps to compete with her. This is a great feature that's definitely on the "PRO" list. When other people can see how many steps you do, it adds accountability. If I'm watching tv it will force me to get up and get some steps in while thinking "I don't want friends to see I've only done 2000 steps today." Competing against others is optional; you have to send them an invite to be your fitbit friend.

You can also link your fitbit account to your foursquare account to 'unlock' more fitness badges.
review image review image
66 comments| 300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
The fitbit is "interesting" in concept but you quickly get bored looking at data for how many steps, stairs or sleep you've had/done in a day. The web page charges if you want to get information comparing you to others and only gives you a daily view so you have to actually scroll through data to see how you are doing. For a pedometer you should get an apple nano. It too has a pedometer and for a similar price also plays music. When I wake up every morning the fitbit tells me that I've already taken steps that day although I haven't made it out of bed yet (and no - I'm not known to sleep walk). I believe that it claims that I walked up stairs if I drove up a hill/mountain. You have to push and hold the button to tell it that you are going to sleep and then remember to tell it you've woken up by also pushing/holding the button. It detects sleep time by using this time interval as the hours you were trying to sleep and using your hand's motion to detect if you are "awake" (ie moving) or "asleep" (being still). Overall this is a small device that is easy to wear. It uploads your info whenever you come close enough to the computer that has the base station attached (you cannot upload from any computer unless you install the software and have the base station). The viewing of data is mediocre at best - one day's snapshot at a time with scrolling back/forward in time to see other days. Overall I think the value of this product is $20-$30. At $100 it should be much, much better.
on January 28, 2015
This little Fitbit is a gem! I like it because it's small--about 2 1/4 inches long, easy to use, durable, and accurate. I love that it shows steps, calories burned, and stairs climbed! When you plug it in to your computer and sync it you can earn little badges for miles walked and stairs climbed--one I earned for climbing stairs was a helicopter badge! :) I'm a nurse--on my feet and on the go for 12 hours at a time--and wanted to see just how much I was walking at work. Wow! One 12-hour shift I walked over 15,000 steps--that's about 7 miles! This little device takes a beating too. Once I accidentally left it on my bra and it got washed. I thought, "Oh no! I killed my Fitbit!" So I just let it sit on the counter untouched for a couple of days hoping that maybe it would dry out. When I picked it up it lit up and gave this message, "Faster Carole, Faster!" I laughed and felt like kissing it!
on December 19, 2011
Purchased and have been using for about 3 weeks now.

The Good

The website is top notch. Good overall feedback of your productivity on any given day / night. There is a historical aspect as well so you can trend. The setup is relatively easy on the Windows side - no idea about mac support. Charge lasts a very long time (over a week's worth). It's lite and accurate as far as steps and stairs are concerned. The synch process is transparent to you - nothing to do just stand near the base and your daily progress is logged. Durable - can be dropped without breaking (no moving parts). The product does make you aware of your daily activity which is a challenge for most folks to keep track of consciously.

The Bad

This really should be a watch on your wrist and makes so much more sense than this device. The USB like stick is easy to mis-place / loose. The product only gives you half of the picture. You must supply your calorie intake and other factors on the web site to get a realistic view of your progress / activity if you are trying to loose weight. For some reason the web site wants to track your mood??? The site offers you an option to share your progress through all the intrusive web sites like facebook, twitter, etc as a way to sell even more of these gizmos.

The Ugly

F everything about the belt clip. I've had this thing drop off numerous times while getting out of the car. Again - design a watch (sigh - send me a check for this obviousness when you guys slap your foreheads at the next all hands meeting while reading this brilliant review out loud). The wristband at night is another PITA. Although you won't loose it in bed it is not easy to put on and take off and you must insert the dongle in a slot on the wristband which is the last thing you want to futz with after a long day.

Bottom Line

Good device for what it does. Worth the price? Arguable and no doubt it will drop. Will there be better in the near future? Yup - You hear me Timex? I said YUP!!!
on June 5, 2012
So, after my fiance popped the question and I decided being a shamu bride was NOT an option, I decided to finally take the plunge and get a fitbit.

It's now nicknamed "my secret bridesmaid".

First off, I am a geek. I LOVE gadgets and pretty charts and graphs, and fitbit feeds that so well.

The one I got from Amazon was a broken unit, but FitBit's customer service was fast, friendly, and got me a new one shipped out in no time flat, and didn't put me through any hassle as far as having to ship the defective one back, they just asked that I make sure to take it in to be recycled rather than just throwing it out. Bonus for me, since it meant I had a spare charger....

..which was great because not even a week later I sat on the charger by accident and broke it. If I had one complaint about the fitbit it's the charger. It's very small and easy to break if stepped on or sat on, the the cord isn't very long. If I had a desktop I'm sure it would be fine but as I use a laptop it means I have to be very careful not to knock it around if I have it plugged in, or I have to remember to plug it back in if I unplug it.

Other than that, it's been a great tool. The fact it synchs with my calorie tracking program at myfitnesspal.com is awesome, and it's got some nice groups to meet friends and compete with. Plus, when I am out walking and I see I am at 9765 steps, it gave me motivation to do "just one more" lap to make it an even 10,000. Well, then I was at 10109, which seemed like an awkward number....etc...etc. Plus it's great to see just how some little things can help up your activity, plus it made me VERY aware of how awful my sleep habits were. I started out at about 70% sleep efficiency with barely 5 hours of sleep a night. Now that I've been trying to do better, I'm up to about 90% sleep efficiency and I get about 6.5 hours of actual sleep in, and I've never felt better!

I'm hoping to lose at LEAST 100 more pounds before my wedding next year, and I'm down 50 already, and I think this little friend of mine might be the edge I need.

Plus, some of the chatter messages are just adorable, even if it's a little cheesy. Sometimes you need a little cheese...I'm from Wisconsin, I'm an expert at that, ha!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 21, 2012
Liked the Fitbit at first. Tracking activity was enlightening. For the competitive, the trying to beat the previous numbers or the daily goals was a fun challenge. Wearing it at night showed that I was awake at night even more than had thought.

When the button on the side stopped working, I contacted customer support by email. It was a little disconcerting to be told that I should not sweat on a device used to track activity-- which one might presume includes rigorous exercise. After many tries to revive the device, I was promised that a new one would ship and arrive in 5-7 business days. As far as I can tell, it still has not shipped. I wrote once and was given an excuse and again promised that one was being shipped.

After contacting customer support, I was told there was a problem with the delivery, but that I would receive the replace in 5 days. That was 11 days ago.

Mine lasted for 5 months. I had signed up and paid for the premium annual membership online and have cancelled the auto-renew. I still like the product, but the quality and failure to honor warranty are a disappointment.

12/30/2012
Update: Received replacement Ultra. Attached to clothing and went out and about. When returned home, noticed the fitbit was gone. Lasted less than 2 hours. Guess it is just not to be for me.
on August 15, 2012
I have worn my FITBIT continuously for 5 months. I really like the functions, and it has been a great motivator. Unfortunately, like many others, I've had regular syncing problems (w/ my MAC). I have had to reinstall the software a few times each week, whenever I couldn't get it to sync. I was ok with this annoyance, because otherwise I had no problems. Recently with a trip abroad, I've had more problems with 1) failure of the device to adjust to the timezone change I made before I left (10 hour difference), 2) failure of the device to work (sporadically) and, 3) on my return home, failure to sync about 3 weeks worth of data. Customer service was initially helpful, but now they just repeat the same instructions over and over again. I've explained that I've taken the same steps (their instructions) many times. I really don't have hours per week to troubleshoot this device. I'm disappointed, because I really like my FITBIT when it works!

Updated Feb 2014. I have worn my Fitbit for more than two years. It has been replaced twice. Most recently several months ago when one of the contact prongs disappeared and I couldn't charge it. Fitbit replaced it with the newest model and I've been trouble free ever since. No more problems with syncing. I also use the app on my iPad, and it is great, too.
I've gone through a lot of pedometers over the last ten years or so - they either break or I lose interest because you always had to review things manually. For the lazy person such as myself, this is great: it automatically uploads via the wireless connection to the Fitbit server and tracks your steps, distance traveled, stairs climbed, estimated number of calories burned, and even your sleep patterns. The only thing you as a user have to do is to remember to charge it up every other day (which is really easy - just put it on the supplied cradle).

The added bonus is logging into the Fitbit server where you can set up your own team (if you so desire) to compare your results with your buddies, but also input a tracker for your weight, heart rate and blood pressure, and several other options. One stop shopping.

The fit is unobtrusive and not even noticeable while you are wearing it. It's a little pricy at $99.95, but with the additional whistles and bells, and the value I have received from this unit as compared to other types of pedometers, this is more than worth it to me. If you are considering purchasing a pedometer, I highly recommend this one as it will change your lifestyle.
on July 27, 2012
I had the fitbit for two good weeks (maybe). I was finally getting the hang of it - logging my meals, remembering to put the device on when I head out the door in the morning, remembering to take it off before I tossed my clothes in the laundry... Sadly, yesterday, I went to check my progress by pressing the tiny button at the top of the device, only to find that my precious fitbit was GONE. I clipped it to my waste band via the belt clip that comes with the device yesterday morning and hadn't taken a trip to the bathroom, changed my clothes, or done anything unusual that might have caused me to lose it. The belt clip itself just has a crappy design. In hindsight, I should have recognized that the Fitbit was bound to fall out of it. The manufacturer really should provide better accessories for it's product. While I got to use it, I really did like the Fitbit and found it to be a great product. The website was easy to use, and I really liked that there was an app for my phone. I also appreciated that the Fitbit was small enough to conceal, unlike my Body Media armband that everyone is always embarrassingly curious about. It really is a terrible shame that my Fitbit was lost while using it as per the manufacturer's instructions.

So, in summary, it doesn't matter how great the Fitbit is. My hundred dollar investment was ultimately a waste, and all I have left of it is a belt clip that really couldn't hold the Fitbit securely in the first place.