Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,435 reviews(5 star). See all 2,317 reviews
on October 9, 2011
Update November 2012: There's a newer Fitbit out -- the Fitbit One! You can check out my video review by cutting and pasting this link into your browser:

I purchased the original Fitbit (now referred to as the Fitbit Classic) only to have the company roll out the Fitbit Ultra a couple of days later. The overlap between the two devices has given me a great opportunity to experience both and know what's different about this one.

How both Fitbits Work: You have a few choices on where to wear the Fitbit (typically waist, pocket, chest pocket or bra), and you keep that Fitbit on you for 24 hours. There's another piece that can be attached to the Fitbit if you have thicker clothing on in order not to spread the Fitbit apart too far and damage it. Every time you're within 15-ft range of your WiFi base station plugged into your computer, the Fitbit attempts to upload your data. After an upload it then doesn't try again for another 15 minutes. You can force an update by placing your Fitbit actually on the base. This is also the way you charge the Fitbit.

Speaking of the charge, it is fast and lasts days, maybe even weeks. Many choose to charge the Fitbit in the base while they're in the shower. Since I work at the computer, I just take it off once a day or so and rest it in the base until I'm ready to get up and go do something.

I should also mention installing and pairing the device is hassle-free. The instructions are clear. You download the software from their web site. Pairing the device with the software on your computer is a piece of cake. It's also easy enough to do if you have a replacement Fitbit you're installing. Just right-click on Account Setup in the system tray, and the Fitbit guides you through the quick process.

What will the Fitbit Ultra do? The Fitbit Ultra is a very accurate step counter. It also shows calories burned and distance walked. There's a cute (not too girly, guys) flower that you make "grow" the more activity you do. And it tracks your sleep. You have a little Velcro wrist band (perfect size for women and men) with a pocket. At night, you slip the Fitbit into the pocket and press and hold the button, which puts the Fitbit in sleep mode. You have a choice between normal and sensitive setting, adjustable from the web site.

The sleep was something I thought would be kind of gimmicky and not really that important to me. Boy was I wrong. I really enjoy seeing how many times I wake up during the night and if there's that typical 90-minute cycle of sleep reflected or if I barely moved at all. On the web site, this information is reflected as a sleep efficiency percentage. Now, it's not extremely accurate, because Fitbit doesn't know the difference between your lying there still and your being asleep. However, you'll probably realize soon that if you're lying there, reading a book, just move your hand every one in a while. Later, in the morning, you can adjust your sleep times through the web site to cut off any unnecessary activity at the beginning.

What is Fitbit Not Good at? It's very step-oriented, so that means it's not going to accurately record your use of an elliptical machine, Pilates, weight lifting, rowing machine, swimming (don't get it wet!) or anything else that doesn't result in a typical stepping motion. However, you can manually record these activities on the web site, and it will overwrite the data for that period of time.

New to this version:
---It will also count stairs climbed (hills count) and translate those into floors. It's just one more way to challenge yourself. On the web site you can earn badges for how many stairs and floors you've climbed. The site also gives you interesting little messages about what that climbing equals, such as "you've just climbed the world's tallest snowman," and if you're the curious type, you can click the message to learn more.
---You've got a clock! Since I almost always have a phone on me, I underestimated how much I was going to enjoy this feature. It's so much easier and to just press a button at your waist and look down to see the time.
---There's a stopwatch. Training for a race? Just trying to beat your previous times? You can use the stopwatch to record an activity.
---Righty and lefty friendly. I'm right-handed, but I like to wear the Fitbit at the left side of my waist. The words were backwards, but I learned that through the web site I could change the direction of the words.
---Give it a name. You have 8 characters to input a name or other info. That's not enough for a full phone number with area code. However, you if you search the Internet for "short email address," there are a number of email address services that would fit that 8-character allotment and allow you to forward any email to your regular email address. This might come in handy if you (heaven forbid) were to lose your Fitbit.
---Friendly little chatter. So you're sitting on the sofa and you realize you should really get up and move your body. You stand up, and a blinked message catches your eye: GO GO GO or Hello! or I like you. You're bonding already, and the feeling is mutual. And if it isn't, you can disable this from the web site. You can actually disable any of the features you don't want to see on your Fitbit.

With either version of the Fitbit, you get a great web site with plenty of features to keep you busy. Track your nutrition, specific activities (like swimming, weight lifting or yoga) that aren't reflected well on Fitbit (you cannot expose it to water). Monitor your weight, blood pressure, glucose, fat, and more. With the free version, you have one customizable tracker as well. Wanting even more motivation, you can upgrade to their Premium plan for 50 bucks a year and get more detailed records on how you compare against your peers, your records over time, unlimited number of customizable trackers, and my personal favorite -- the Trainer. The Trainer looks at your history and devises a plan to slowly increase your activity. It's just a slow, steady increase that you'll barely notice at all, and over time, those are the kinds of changes that last. After a week, the Trainer noted I was exceeding its plan for me, so it asked me if I wanted to ramp up a little faster. I loved the choice!

If you're debating, I'll tell you this. The device has made me more aware of my activity (or inactivity) and pushes me to do more. It becomes rather addictive to hit those marks and have those successes daily. I'm moving more and losing weight. I'm drinking more water, as that's also tracked on the web site. Fitbit just makes you more aware in general. I don't think money is ever wasted if it makes you more active and healthy and you use whatever it is you buy (be it a gym membership or a Fitbit).

If you have a now Fitbit Classic and are wondering whether to upgrade, I'll tell you that I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like some of the features. Some things I felt that I could take or leave ended up being my favorite -- such as the clock. Also know that the color of blue in the Fitbit Ultra is not the same as the sort of teal color of the Fitbit Classic. It's not better or worse, but different.

In summary, I highly recommend this Fitbit Ultra, whether you're new to Fitbit or considering upgrading. It's well worth the money. In the meantime, you don't have to own a Fitbit to be able to use the web site. If you're on the fence, why not join the web site and start recording things like your weight and get active in the Community forum? That will get you a feel for how things work and how Fitbit might be life changing for you as well.

p.s. If/when you do take the plunge, I highly recommend ordering this inexpensive lanyard Safety Leash for Pedometer (1) Unit. Helps Save Pedometers From Loss and Misplacing and Not Lose Them While Running or Walking and Exercising. Too many users have horror stories of losing their Fitbits, drowning them in toilets and oceans, etc. Both items work very well together and provide peace of mind.

UPDATE September 20, 2012:
I wanted to let any readers know that Fitbit is coming out with TWO new trackers that are currently in preorder, due to be released in mid-October, so you may want to hold off on this purchase and get the new model that has more features.

So almost a year later, this remains one of the best purchases I've ever made. And no, I've still not received anything from the company for my reviews -- I'm just an enthusiastic customer. I have lost around 30 pounds since I received my Fitbit. Although that lanyard seemed to be a really important thing, I'm pretty careful, so I eventually quit using the lanyard. I have had some close calls, but so far the Fitbit hasn't been flushed, laundered or otherwise lost.

Things I'm finding I haven't gotten the use from: The Premium membership. Some people swear by this. I thought it was pretty cool at first, but then my life became busier and I didn't have time to get the use out of this feature. Food logging is good but still inferior to some popular apps (like Calorie Countery by MyNetDiary) that aren't yet integrated. I haven't found an easier way to log nutrition than use a smartphone to scan the barcode on a product, and Fitbit doesn't yet have this capability. It also doesn't have the database of foods that some other apps have.

Mostly, I attribute the weight loss to gradual life changes of eating less and moving more PLUS Fitbit making me more aware of movement or lack thereof. It feels good to set a daily step goal (even if less than 10,000) and reach it. It's not been a fast way to weight loss, but it's been one of the sanest, and hopefully lasting, ways. I've rewarded myself by going ahead and preordering the Fitbit One and am looking forward to reviewing it.

UPDATE November 7, 2012: If you found this review helpful, you can check out my review of the new Fitbit One here:

review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
5150+ comments| 1,509 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2012
I was an avid user of the bodymedia bodybug (now named the "Armband Advantage") for the past year. When it came time to renew my bodybug subscription at $9.95 a month, I did a little shopping around and opted to pay $100 for the fitbit with no subscription. Be forewarned that I can't really sing the praises of the fitbit without comparing it to the bodybug.

PROs

- LIGHTWEIGHT AND SMALL. It is MUCH easier to inconspicuously wear the fitbit than the bodybug. I'm looking forward to wearing tank tops this summer without having a conspicuous armband on. It was fine for bumming around and shopping; people would ask me about it and I didn't mind answering questions. But when it came to going out at night or attending weddings in sleeveless dresses, I was forced to leave the bodybug at home. Sometimes I'd pop it out of the armband and put it in my bra, but even that was sometimes a challenge. The fitbit easily clips on my bra with no bulges or discomfort.

- NO BEEPS OR SOUNDS. The bodybug made 3 beeps any time it made contact with your body for the first time, or if it lost contact with your body. Kinda embarrassing if you're in a quiet atmosphere.

- COMFORTABLE. Fitbit doesn't sit against your skin, so it's much more comfortable. I don't care what bodymedia says, it's not always comfortable to have a sweaty piece of plastic against your skin all day. (In their instructions they recommend you take it off for an hour a day, so no calorie tracking on the bodybugg for that time period).

- AFFORDABLE. The unit itself is about half the price of bodybugg. As for the online data, the graphs and info on fitbit.com are comparable, if not better than those on bodymedia.com; with no monthly subscription needed (saving you about $10 a month). You can buy the 'premium' fitbit access for $49 a year (still less than half the price of bodymedia.com), but I find the charts on fitbit.com are fine for my needs. Charts show activity throughout the day in 5-minute increments. The one thing that it doesn't offer is the ability to see how many calories you burned for a specific time period. Bodymedia.com allows you to drag your mouse across the graphs to hone in on certain time frames (i.e. show me the total calories burned from 3pm to 3:30pm). But you can a) add it up manually (mouse over the bars in the chart for each 5-minute increment between 3pm and 3:30pm. A popup shows the number of burned calories/steps, etc. during each 5-minute increment) or b) use the recording feature mentioned below.

- EASY TO TRACK WORKOUTS. Fitbit has a small button that is pretty much a stopwatch, but works well in tracking workouts and sleep. Press and hold the button for a few seconds to start the stopwatch/"recording" and press again to stop it. The duration of the activity will be displayed on your activity log on Fitbit.com. If it's during the day, fitbit assumes it's a workout. If it's at night, fitbit assumes it's sleeping (but you can manually change it). To make a short story long, I use this feature for my workouts and I can easily see data just for the workout session. In comparison, Bodybugg didn't have this feature. I had to take note of what time I started and stopped my workout, then use my mouse to "hone in" on that time frame in the graph in order see the calorie burn.

- WIRELESS. I love the wireless functionality. If I'm within 15 feet of my laptop, data is automatically uploaded. Bodybugg has this functionality, too, but I had the version that you have to pop out of the armband and connect via USB to your computer.

- ACCURATE. The fitbit is every bit as accurate as the bodybug. I do the elliptical machine and clip fitbit onto my sock. I've gotten good results doing this. There's a lot of hype that bodybug has "4 different sensors," but I'm not convinced that 4 are any better than the 2 in the fitbit. As far as I can tell, the bodybug only uses accelerometer data for its calcs. Anyway, the fitbit is just as accurate.

- INTERACTIVE. Love that you can personalize a message to show up on the fitbit. In addition to displaying your personal message, random fitbit messages like "Vamos!" or "Walk Me" are displayed randomly. Too cute! I also like getting weekly emails that show me my progress or congratulate me on certain achievements (10000 steps, 10 flights of stairs, etc.)

- DISPLAY IS ON THE UNIT. Unlike Bodybugg, which is kind of a 'black box' until you sync it to your computer, you can push the button on your fitbit at any time and see all the data for that day (steps, calories, miles, stairs, etc.). I found this to be very handy when it's getting towards midnight and I need to get more steps in. I just walk around my apartment, then check the display to see if I've met my goal. Also has a clock, which is nice.

CONs

- SMALL. Okay, if I HAVE to pick a con, it's that it takes some time to get in the habit of taking the fitbit off one set of clothes and putting them on another. In the beginning I'd change clothes to go out, only to later remember that my fitbit was clipped on the first outfit. I can definitely see how people have accidentally washed their fitbits. No biggy.

- NO DATA EXPORT. You can't export your data from the fitbit site unless you buy the premium access. Not a deal breaker for me (and premium access is still cheaper than bodymedia anyway).

- DAILY DATA DOESN'T RESET UNTIL YOU SYNC IT. I haven't fully tested this, but there was a 2-day period where I was traveling and unable to sync to my computer. I noticed that the data on the second day looked pretty high, so I assume it was still counting from the day before. Everything was fine in the online dashboard once I synced it. Not a big deal for me.

SUMMARY: Any pedometer or similar tool will be a great asset to any fitness program. I find myself wanting to take extra steps and take the stairs just to get "credit" for them in my daily tallies. I think fitbit is an affordable and easy tool to use. Hope this helps!

UPDATE June 2012: NEW "PRO:" Two of my family members now have fitbits so we can compete against each other on the website. I see my ranking in steps, activity level & distance. I got one for my mom 'cuz I figured she'd be easy to beat, and she beats me everyday! As such, I'm trying to up my steps to compete with her. This is a great feature that's definitely on the "PRO" list. When other people can see how many steps you do, it adds accountability. If I'm watching tv it will force me to get up and get some steps in while thinking "I don't want friends to see I've only done 2000 steps today." Competing against others is optional; you have to send them an invite to be your fitbit friend.

You can also link your fitbit account to your foursquare account to 'unlock' more fitness badges.
review imagereview image
66 comments| 300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2015
This little Fitbit is a gem! I like it because it's small--about 2 1/4 inches long, easy to use, durable, and accurate. I love that it shows steps, calories burned, and stairs climbed! When you plug it in to your computer and sync it you can earn little badges for miles walked and stairs climbed--one I earned for climbing stairs was a helicopter badge! :) I'm a nurse--on my feet and on the go for 12 hours at a time--and wanted to see just how much I was walking at work. Wow! One 12-hour shift I walked over 15,000 steps--that's about 7 miles! This little device takes a beating too. Once I accidentally left it on my bra and it got washed. I thought, "Oh no! I killed my Fitbit!" So I just let it sit on the counter untouched for a couple of days hoping that maybe it would dry out. When I picked it up it lit up and gave this message, "Faster Carole, Faster!" I laughed and felt like kissing it!
on August 15, 2012
I have worn my FITBIT continuously for 5 months. I really like the functions, and it has been a great motivator. Unfortunately, like many others, I've had regular syncing problems (w/ my MAC). I have had to reinstall the software a few times each week, whenever I couldn't get it to sync. I was ok with this annoyance, because otherwise I had no problems. Recently with a trip abroad, I've had more problems with 1) failure of the device to adjust to the timezone change I made before I left (10 hour difference), 2) failure of the device to work (sporadically) and, 3) on my return home, failure to sync about 3 weeks worth of data. Customer service was initially helpful, but now they just repeat the same instructions over and over again. I've explained that I've taken the same steps (their instructions) many times. I really don't have hours per week to troubleshoot this device. I'm disappointed, because I really like my FITBIT when it works!

Updated Feb 2014. I have worn my Fitbit for more than two years. It has been replaced twice. Most recently several months ago when one of the contact prongs disappeared and I couldn't charge it. Fitbit replaced it with the newest model and I've been trouble free ever since. No more problems with syncing. I also use the app on my iPad, and it is great, too.
on June 5, 2012
So, after my fiance popped the question and I decided being a shamu bride was NOT an option, I decided to finally take the plunge and get a fitbit.

It's now nicknamed "my secret bridesmaid".

First off, I am a geek. I LOVE gadgets and pretty charts and graphs, and fitbit feeds that so well.

The one I got from Amazon was a broken unit, but FitBit's customer service was fast, friendly, and got me a new one shipped out in no time flat, and didn't put me through any hassle as far as having to ship the defective one back, they just asked that I make sure to take it in to be recycled rather than just throwing it out. Bonus for me, since it meant I had a spare charger....

..which was great because not even a week later I sat on the charger by accident and broke it. If I had one complaint about the fitbit it's the charger. It's very small and easy to break if stepped on or sat on, the the cord isn't very long. If I had a desktop I'm sure it would be fine but as I use a laptop it means I have to be very careful not to knock it around if I have it plugged in, or I have to remember to plug it back in if I unplug it.

Other than that, it's been a great tool. The fact it synchs with my calorie tracking program at myfitnesspal.com is awesome, and it's got some nice groups to meet friends and compete with. Plus, when I am out walking and I see I am at 9765 steps, it gave me motivation to do "just one more" lap to make it an even 10,000. Well, then I was at 10109, which seemed like an awkward number....etc...etc. Plus it's great to see just how some little things can help up your activity, plus it made me VERY aware of how awful my sleep habits were. I started out at about 70% sleep efficiency with barely 5 hours of sleep a night. Now that I've been trying to do better, I'm up to about 90% sleep efficiency and I get about 6.5 hours of actual sleep in, and I've never felt better!

I'm hoping to lose at LEAST 100 more pounds before my wedding next year, and I'm down 50 already, and I think this little friend of mine might be the edge I need.

Plus, some of the chatter messages are just adorable, even if it's a little cheesy. Sometimes you need a little cheese...I'm from Wisconsin, I'm an expert at that, ha!
on September 16, 2012
I purchased my Fitbit based on other peoples reviews I read on Amazon. I initially found this product advertised on the LoseIt.com website, where I enter and track daily food consumption and exercise. This seemed like a nice little tool to help track physical activity, but I was somewhat reluctant to make a purchase until I saw all the positive reviews on Amazon. This device is about the size of a Swiss Army pocketknife, easy to use and setup. Once you establish an account on the Fitbit website and plug in your statistics, i.e, gender, age, height and weight, you can then track steps taken, floors climbed, miles traveled, calories burned and active score. It wirelessly synchronizes with the LoseIt.com website, and it helps keep me motivated to be more active. It is even capable of tracking sleep quality but I couldn't swear to the accuracy or usefulness of the sleep quality function. I checked my sleep two nights in a row and the graph showed that I was active several times throughout the night, even though I have no memory of it. This function might work well for someone accustomed to, and who knows how to read sleep patterns. I've used my Fitbit everyday for approxiamtely two weeks and I've found it works extremely well as a pedometer, tracking floors climbed and calories burned, although the accuracy of the device once again is unknown. The website is very interactive and FREE. You can view your activity on a Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly graphs, while Logging Food, Logging Activity and Tracking Weight. I do a lot of walking and I'm a moderate bicycle rider. The Fitbit base is small and connects to your computer via a USB Port. It charges up quickly and lasts for several days. Whenever you're within 12-15 feet of your computer this device wirelessly syncs with the LoseIt.com or the Fitbit.com websites, or you can do a forced sync by simply placing it on the charging base. I would recommend it if you want to visually track your physical activity or need a little extra motivation. The box includes the Fitbit, the charging base, a belt clip and a wriststrap which allows it to be worn while in bed. It easily attaches with the belt clip or it can be slipped over a fold of clothing such as the lip of a pocket. The device is not water resistant, so be careful with it around water.

Please rate this review if you found it helpful.
on April 11, 2012
If you are like me, you have tried all kinds of things to lose weight and be more active in hopes of finding one that "sticks". Running, aerobics, you name it, I have tried it. This little gadget has changed everything because it led to the epiphany that I don't just need a specific activity to "stick" to be healthy---I just need to be active enough (doing whatever) to burn off the calories I put in my body and meet my health goals. It's so simple and we all know it's true, but what the Fitbit does is arm you with the power of extremely high quality, real-time information to make better decisions every single day, in the very moment you are making them.

For example, I set a goal for a 500 calorie per day deficit to lose one pound per week, and when it comes time for dinner there's no arguing with the numbers. Either I have enough burned calories for what I want to eat or I haven't. What this means is that now I either have something lighter to eat or I take a walk or climb stairs or do something else to burn enough calories to equal it out. If I didn't have this information, I would not know concretely what decisions do or do not fit into my goals. The difference this has made in my mindset about my own body cannot be overstated! It's a simple, elegant rethinking of my own relationship with my body, and that has been truly groundbreaking. No magic bullet, but a drastically improved awareness.

As for the technology itself, I find it to be very accurate. The iPhone app and the graphs and charts of the website are absolutely top notch, best in class. It's so rewarding to see spikes on the graph for when I took the stairs, and it's so motivating to see those flat stretches in the middle of the day because I get up and move around so I don't see them again. I now take the stairs and walk breaks just to make sure I see those spikes! The badges and social aspects are great too, and I even found myself going up and down my stairs at home 30 times yesterday just so I could burn off my dinner and get the 50 flights per day badge! I never would have done that if fitness was still this abstract general goal of mine, but now it's a concrete goal of, "Ok, I need to burn 90 more calories tonight."

All and all, this little device has proven to me that I don't need a magic bullet to have the healthy lifestyle that I want. I don't need new interests or habits or sports to take up or better workout clothes. I just need a better understanding of how my activity level relates to my food choices, and the information to truly match those up with my goals. Fitbit does all this, and does it well. Thanks Fitbit!! Now I am trying to get all my friends to buy one too so we can compete on the leaderboards. :)
on October 13, 2012
Dear Amazon Shopper,

This marvelous piece of widgetry is great at tracking your movements as well as motivating you to move in the first place. Like everything, it has its flaws and foibles, but if you treat it, and yourself, well, you'll be losing weight in no time.

The Pros:

1 - It keeps track of numerous variables. Personally, when it comes to losing weight, I love looking at numbers and setting milestones. The feeling of taking measurable strides toward my weight-loss goals is very motivating and having my steps, calories burned, and overall level of activity automatically measured helps me to achieve those goals. By manually logging your calorie intake (there's a comprehensive list of foods, and space for you to add new foods) you can keep track of what you take in and what you burn, allowing you to reasonably estimate how long it will take you to burn off the desired amount of fat (3500 calories of deficit to one pound of fat). You can also log your weight, which I recommend doing at the same time every day in order to ensure stable measurement.

2 - It's reasonably accurate. This device is highly accurate at determining whether or not to register your movements as steps and utilizes more than just distance traveled and rate of movement to determine calories burned. Simply waving your arms around will not cause the device to add steps, but it will up your burn rate (as waving your arms takes more energy than doing nothing). Also, the Fitbit successfully avoids logging steps while the user is driving. A series of push-ups and crunches will accurately log your calories in the red and if you feel the device has not yielded a correct accounting of your calories burned, you can log your activities manually.

3 - It doubles as a watch. While, like me, you may have many more stylish, more effective timepieces, this device comes with a wristband into which the device is designed to slot. Slotting the not-unstylish Fitbit into this very comfortable wristband is the safest, most-effective way to store the device on your person (more on that later) and allows you to do so without depriving you of the ability to tell the time (it is recommended you place the device in the wristband on the wrist of your non-dominant hand.

4 - Set-up is nominal. Plug the Fitbit into your computer via the provided USB base station, complete your free registration on the website, and you're done. Nothing pesky to install, no hassle. The Fitbit wirelessly uploads data to your computer via the base station at 15-minute intervals when possible, but can store detailed data for up to 7 days without dumping it onto your PC.

5 - It loves you. As you reach different milestones, the device will e-mail you and update your account with motivating badges (10k steps in a day, 10 floors climbed, etc) and often has a positive message to convey when you get moving after a long period of being stationary (i.e. "I love you <USER>"), which was a cute touch.

The Cons:

1 - The device's durability is questionable. While it's a neat tool, it appears that form was chosen over function at at least one point during the design process. The Fitbit feels very delicate (as other reviewers have pointed out) and I use it with the provided wristband as often as possible. When I need to conceal it, I will slide it over the interior pocket of a jacket. I would not leave it loose in a purse or briefcase, nor would I cram it into a pocket and expect it to survive for very long. Due to this issue, expect the device to be visible to others the majority of time it is in use.

2 - Premium content. In order to get the most detail from your device, you'll have to fork over extra $. After paying 80 bucks for this tiny, plastic-sheathed 3d-accelerometer (not that I'm suggesting it's a bad value), I would expect to be provided as much bang for my dollar as possible. The manufacturer, however, has chosen to restrict what your $80 will buy you, so keep that in mind. I can't evaluate the premium content as I have thus far chosen not to pay the subscription fee. The device is reasonably useful without it.

3 - It wont lift you off the couch or scold you for eating junk food. You'll need discipline and dedication to get results. This can help you desire results, and track results, but it's up to you to make results.

The bottom-line is, if you're committed to exercising, this will help keep you motivated and help you monitor a vast array of useful statistics over time. It's not the most durable widget ever invented, and you'll probably be displaying it most of the time if you want to keep it intact, but with discipline and dedication, this device will help keep peoples' eyes on your figure.
on February 14, 2012
This device really is what the other reviewers are saying, a game-changer. I only just found out about the FitBit last week from a TV show (can't remember which one). I wore it for the first few days with no change to my routine; I wanted to see what my normal activity has been. WHAT a revelation. The FitBit website (no monthly fees unless you opt for the premium) informed me that I was leading quite the sedentary life, as if I worked in an office and spent time at home reading or watching TV. This is exactly me! I was logging less than 3000 steps a day.

The little video above is a bit misleading -- the device does not gather information when you get close to a computer, but rather when you get close to the FitBit base which is USB-connected to your computer. So if you have the base plugged in at home, it won't register at work even if you have wireless at work. But not to worry! The FitBit holds information for up to 7 days, so you can even go on a week-long vacation without the base, come back and have all the information instantly downloaded. Nevertheless, I bring the base with me to work so that I can keep an eye on my progress.

Now, I make sure and take a break every once in a while to walk up the stairs and walk around my workplace so that I can beat yesterday's step score. I've since doubled my average in the 4 days that I've had it, and I'm working my way up to 10,000 steps a day. On the website, you can join groups that encourage up to 100,000 steps a week or more!

I also like the sleep feature -- I had no idea I had been waking up 12-20 times a night, but now I know why I am *extremely* tired during the day. With increased activity during the day I know I will sleep better during the night. A win-win all around. Now if only we can get the makers of the device to sync with Weight Watchers or SparkPeople, and then have the price covered and/or reimbursed through insurance, it would be the best device for health improvement ever to hit the market. I'm going to buy one for my mother right now so that we can have a healthy competition together!
on October 29, 2011
I recommend Fitbit to all!

Little over four months ago I decided that my lifestyle was too sedantery and I was 60lbs overweight for my height and age and it needed to change. I purchased P90X and an entry level heart monitor Timex T5G971. The watch gave me some information about my workouts but that information was lost after every workout. So I invested in Wahoo Fitness Ant+ Fisica Key for iPhone and bought a Garmin Ant+ Heart strap. Now I was saving all the information about my workouts in this neat little iPhone App. This Wahoo App allows me to upload my information any time to Connect.garmin.com (account required). I could tweek my workouts for weight loss, muscle and strength building on Garmin's website. Then I came across Fitbit, after a a few days of research I learned that fitbit can help keep a record of all my steps, floors climbed, Calories burned etc. Idea of this much data about your movements was too great to discard. I decided to get one a couple of weeks ago. Now this thing has become part of me. It goes everywhere I go. It keeps me motivated and itching to take extra steps all the time.

How accurate is Fitbit?

There is nothing out there that is accurate. Fitbit comes very close. The only thing this devices lacks is an actual heart monitor and GPS. Once these things are integrated in this life changing device it will be the darling of any Fitness lover.

My plan is to use Wahoo Ant+ Key, heart rate strap for my iPhone for my workouts in the Gym and at home along with Fitbit. And Fitbit by itself everywhere else.

By the way I have lost 47lbs of the 60lbs I was over weight. I am only 14lbs away from my goal and this is all thanks to the motivation that was derived from the data acquired from these fitness tools I have mentioned above. Thanks to Tony Horton ;) Wahoo Fitness and Fitbit I am well on my way to acheiving my goal of living healthy and strong.