Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 5, 2014
I should point out that I know the author personally.
In fact, I am one of the many people who encouraged him to write this book.
As a 50 year old woman, I was finding it hard to lose the weight I had gained over the years.
I could tell my metabolism was slower and the extra weight was causing me to start feeling pain in my knees and back.
I tried some other popular advertised weight loss plans. I would lose a few pounds, start to feel good about myself but then suddenly gain the weight back.
Mike's diet and exercise information along with another book Metabolism Miracle by Diane Kress is what finally worked for me.
My girlfriend from college days was in the same shape as me. She also followed this same plan and we both lost 40 pounds between July and December.
We are not just lighter but feel more toned and clothes shopping Is exciting again.
13 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 15, 2015
Good stuff, Mike Spitzer!! Thanks from me, since many of us are not in our twenties or thirties but still find personal value in weight lifting and working out in general. And you are there via your book to fill in the unknown parts for us!

This book was written for me, or so it seems! This is the only book I've found that deals with the issues of the older weight lifter and fitness enthusiast. I am looking to improve my health and increase my energy levels and build strength. I started lifting at a gym about several years ago with very little to guide me, as I am an older novice weight lifter. Nothing I ever found being published dealt with weight lifting and fitness workouts for my age group. The trainers weren't too sure, either. Until I read this book!!! Now I have an excellent source of guidance! Great book, Mike Spitzer!!

I first borrowed a copy of this book from our library and liked it so much I just bought it and received it in the mail today. I am switching all of the present exercise parameters I previously had used regarding warm-ups and lifts per set to match Mike Spitzer's philosophies and techniques from this book.
2 people found this helpful
on April 5, 2018
I'm 59 and a regular exerciser. Each time I re-visit this book I find more and more to utilize (whether diet, exercise times, order, or the exercises themselves). Very helpful. Great book. Importantly, it has re-tooled how I exercise, rest, eat, etc...resulting in lower weight, more trim, better exercise results, more strength, and pretty much eliminated injuries--which is saying something for a 59 yr old.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on September 19, 2015
Excellent book for the senior workout enthusiast. This is the best I have read. There are other well written and informative books on this subject, i.e., several by Tom Venuto and others, but this, in my opinion, is for the individual who has some past workout experience. The author describes the exercises in a detailed manner and advises caution when necessary. He seems to be sincerely concerned about injuries and this is important, especially for seniors. The section on eating is logical and generalized in a competent manner. I can honestly say that after you read the book you will find that it was written by an author who developed and performed this exercise program. His efforts garnered remarkable results and he sincerely appears to want to pass his knowledge to the reader.
on November 21, 2016
Recommended because it explains how foods and exercise affect the body, as a background for the wide variety of suggested exercises and food guidance. Equipped with an understanding for why these recommendations are offered, readers can design a plan that fits their immediate goals and lifestyle needs, and evolve that plan with more advanced recommendations as they want to achieve greater fitness & health. Thanks Michael!
on July 9, 2015
It was awesome to be able to understand why things work the way they work and also what needs to be done at my age of 60.
|33 comments|Report abuse
on August 8, 2015
Great read
on March 25, 2016
Very helpful book. It is full of good advice and tips. I recommend it to anyone over 40 and beyond!
on June 9, 2015
This book is very well written and FULL of useful information. I've been reading about exercise and nutrition for about 20 years, just as a person trying to learn how to eat healthy and stay reasonably fit. Spitzer has an engaging writing style that is informative and also inspirational. The sample charts are very helpful (like the ones on page 101 that list two meal samples with their carb, protein and fat content). I also really like all the photos demonstrating proper form for the gym exercises. I could go on... the table of contents and the index at the back make it easy to find things...the information about aging bodies was detailed enough to help me understand what happens to us physically during aging without being overwhelming. I think one of my favorite pages in the book is page 402 where Spitzer describes the impact books have had on his life - I feel very much the same, that much of what I have learned in life came from reading. Now the lifetime of learning and experience that Michael Spitzer carefully and skillfully shared in this book will be encouraging and helping many other people for years to come. This book will be a faithful companion for me, I'm sure, as I go forward with my wellness goals.
on December 26, 2015